Alfa Romeo Forums banner

3d Printed Parts

114K views 418 replies 78 participants last post by  Tarps3 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a 3D printer a couple of months ago, and I've been making myself smart on how to use it. Today, I finished my first 3D printed Alfa part. The end cap was missing from my wiper lever, so I drew one up in a CAD program and printed it out in black ABS plastic. After some minor finish work, I have a black plastic end that matches the rest of the wiper stalk.

I have several projects in mind.

My next project is a retaining clip for the hood prop rod. I've seen one crappy photo of the original metal clip; I think I can design a better one. After that, the plastic housings for my rear license plate lighting needs some attention.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Nice work.

If you want a challenge, how about a 2000 script badge for Giulia Supers that have been ungraded to 2L engines? The trick, I think, will be in matching the italicized script and getting a finished surface that will take chrome-like paint.

#9 ·
3D printers are becoming more common, but aren't yet what I would consider a 'mainstream consumer' product. While they print acceptably right out of the box, they require some adjusting and tweaking to get really good results.

I'm still learning, so I'm starting with small projects. I figured making a few things I need in black ABS would be a good start. It's best if I have something that I can measure (either the object itself, or where the object fits) and make the CAD file.

I haven't tried anything like lenses yet. I'd have to buy some transparent red filament, and modeling all the interior facets in CAD would be a bit of a challenge for me at the moment.

I hear Shapeways is an excellent service...good idea. You'd have to be confident your object measurements and size was right...it would stink to pay them to make a part, then find it doesn't fit!

#19 ·
#23 ·
I took some modeling clay and made a 'mould' of the center brakelight cover. I'll take measurements and start modeling it up in Sketchup (a CAD program).

I'll post some photos when I produce a final product.

#24 ·
That would be awesome! I was actually thinking about this part yesterday. I have access to a 3D printer, so if you could share the CAD file, it would be much appreciated.

Speaking of which, it would be really nice to set up some sort of sticky thread or a separate website for people to post part files in one place.

#25 ·
I sent some of my 3D printer parts off for an upgrade, so it may be a week or so before I get to do a test print.

I'd gladly share the .stl file so others can print parts as well. I may post them on Thingiverse or Solidoodles. I'm not sure AlfaBB is set up for hosting files.

Printing parts for my old cars is one of the main reasons I bought a 3D printer...at least that's what I told the wife. "Honey, think of all the money I'll save!"

#26 ·
Hi there,

Did you ever get much success with printing the center brake light cover? I'd be willing to compensate you for the STL file and then I'll just get it printed at Shapeways if that's easier (unless you might be interested.. :) ).

Thanks!

Aaron

#27 · (Edited)
Actually, just started working on it today. My printer is back up and running. When I've come up with a good design, I'll freely share the .stl file.

I do have a question though: the bulb socket protrudes down lower than I expected. Does it rub gainst the original cover, or is there something wrong with my socket?

#28 ·
The printers are so cool. I'm jeleous!

My oldest is completing his engineering degree. A classmate who graduated last spring purchased a 3d printer and immediately printed...another printer! Turns out that a lot of the parts have open source files available....combined with some smarts and stepper motors and you're in business.

BTW, the fancy name 10 years ago was a stereolithography machine!

#29 · (Edited)
It's finished! It turns out that the brake light bulb socket in my spoiler is not the original item...probably why my cover is missing in the first place. The socket protruded down too far for the cover to fit...so I modified the socket too.

Based on the photos posted in this thread, and the mold and measurements I took from my own car, I 3D modeled the center brake light cover:

I made a couple of tweaks, mainly in strengthening the compression pins that hold it in place. The print turned out very well. I didn't bother with any post-production finishing, like I did for the wiper knob. The harsh lighting emphasizes the print pattern; the item is actually much more finished-looking.

It fits perfectly, and snaps in securely in my Spider. Looking at the underside of my spoiler, it doesn't seem like its a precision-molded piece (the spoiler, that is), so your results may vary.

Here's the .stl file for the cover. You can send this to an online 3D printing service (like Shapeways), or get in touch with a buddy that has a 3D printer.
3D model file (.STL format)

Just to show you the markup on such an item, it took about $.55 of plastic and 50 minutes to print this out. Of course, that doesn't account for the time spent measuring, modeling in CAD software, and test prints.

Now, I'm back to designing a clip for my engine hood prop rod!