Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - '84 Spider Steering Column Bolt Sizes ??
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Tifosi
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Well that didn't come out as clear as I'd hoped.

As you can see, the diameter isn't all that big. Pretty much just a conventional/normal diameter when you think 'screw'. (right around sheetrock screw diameter actually)

To get it just right, it's not beyond reason to take the top half of the clamshell with you to the hardware store (yes, I know you didn't want to take it apart, but hey, it's just zip ties), so you can actually try screws in the holes. (truth be told, I don't think there's a metric or SAE pitch to screws like that)

Oh, and on the length, if you can only get close, err to the shorter side onnaconna if you go too long there's a very real chance the screw will come out through the top.

*EDIT:

If you do find screws for it, be VERY careful when you assemble things as it's kinda easy to pinch the reostat wires (that knob on the left side) in the screw moulding stuff and pinch it to the point of shorting. Nothing like finding that out when the fuse keeps popping and evetually the column starts smoking. (no, really, I've done it and it sucks)

A quick whip of tape around them and the column will help.

Attached Images

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&

Last edited by Tifosi; 02-05-2008 at 07:51 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome