Alfa Romeo Forums banner

87 spider

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  MrT 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey, this is the machine I have been posting about. I consider the water pump a devil in disguise as far as removal and replacement. Only 56k original miles. It overheats so I had the radiator done and thought what the heck, might as well replace the water pump too. Oh how innocent we novices are! Cracked the gasket, bought another on ebay, but he sent five. Does anybody need water pump gaskets? Anyway, after 4 batched attempts finally got the pump installed. Now I'm waiting on the delivery of those two cushions that go with the two top radiator bolts. Ordered from Spiderpoint, so who knows when they'll get here. I did bleed the system and replaced the thrmostat but it still overheated on a day in the 90's with the air on. The car was passed on to me from my sister. I said no to her for about a year and then relented knowing that when it arrived I would become possessd and obsessed with the car. I live in the Phoenix area so this heating problem is a big deal. I want to drive with the air on and cruise on some day trips! Temp today may reach 110! I do have one thing to brag about, I installed the new top!

possessed and obsessed,

pjn

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I have an 88 currently and had a 87. They both overheated with the AC on in stop and go traffic. If you run on the highway it will run hot, but won't overheat. My advice? Run with the top down.... Use the AC when its raining out and you need to de-fog the windshield.

If the AC is a must you might add an electric fan to the front of the radiator...

Ed

#8 ·
i thought of an electric fan, but i have no idea how i would install it and tie it into the electrical.

My 87 Spider has an electric fan mounted in front of the radiator. It was a factory install for all Air Conditioned cars. I believe the electic fan is activated by a thermistor mounted on the fan shroud or if the AC compressor is running.

Dave

#9 ·
Getting the radiator cleaned out, or rodded-out as they say is a waste of money. Mine did the same thing until I just replaced the radiator. While at it, I put in a new fan, new shroud and an oil cooler. The thing runs at exactly 175 degrees now, even if the outside temp is well over 100. I live in the California high desert, and it gets very hot.

#14 ·
Tifosi is correct, that rad disassembly and rodding/boiling out the crud in the cores is the only fix for your original rad. Flush is a waste of time.
However I think it is false economy....When you have the rad unsoldered, you might as well go the extra step....for about $50 more you can replace the original 2 row core setup with a 3 row core.
After 20 years, the old rad core is not in perfect metallurgical shape, also it can have some dings (thin spots).

My experience anyway....Elio

#15 ·
I don't think you mentioned the possibility that the thermostat isn't opening fully. You should look. Or just replace it. If you want to test it, just take it out and toss it into a pot of boiling water to see how much it opens. Forgive me please if I simply can't read, and you did mention it.

Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.