Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Underhood Black

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  sprintgtc 
#1 ·
Greetings,

With the engine out of my GTJr, I am in the process of cleaning up/repainting etc. the engine compartment. Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf paint (Tremclad etc.) that is similar to the Eastwood Underhood Black? I don't really feel like paying for shipping and duty charges to Canada for a few spray bombs..

Thanks,
Phil

#2 ·
Phil,

I'm in Vancouver and ended up buying Eastwood after two failed attempts with other products.

I signed up for Eastwood's "1 year free shipping" program which will help for buying other tidbids I'll need. If I recall correctly, they put the stuff on a truck and ship it from Canada which takes care of the Duty/GST/PST issues up front (without additional brokerage fees).

However, I found their web site does not always give the right shipping information for Canada. You may have to call them on the 800 number to verify shipping/brokerage and that my information is correct.

Cheers,

Ruedi

#3 ·
My 2 cents

Please I say . The correct color for under hood is the body color.
If you paint it a differant color it will not be worth as much $. and if you never plan on selling it. Just for your own self in the coming years paint it correctly. The Body color

#4 ·
underhood black

I believe some GTV's actually came in a flat black engine compartment. My white '67 is black and I initially thought that it was just resprayed, but when I was at a show I spoke with the owner of an over the top restoration on his '66 or '67 (red exterior, black engine comp) he told me it was original. Pete.

#5 ·
Nop

some may think its Org. but its not in the salt areas in America in the later 60s and ealy 70s some did do this But None were done by the Factory, His over the top restos maybe, but he blew it. I have been involved with the biggest Concouers in the world and I can tell you that if a GTA came to Pebble Beach with a black engine compartment It was called "shoots" at the restoration place I worked at in the early 70s , We would Not let it on the field unless it had big provance And even at that, just for display. I work the Post War Sports Euro section.
LIke I said if you want to, but please look at evey book you can find and you will see no Shoots.
Please find a copy at your Library of the the man himself The bible of Alfa "Luigi Fusi "Its in black and whit but you will see that you car never had a differant eng comp. color..
What ever you do let us all see it because One thing I am 100% positive is we will love to see it.

#7 ·
All,

Thanks for the replies. I will be painting the engine compartment the same colour as the body. I have another restoration question which will begin under anew thread.

Phil

#8 ·
#9 ·
Hi crew;

Anybody who beleaves that that is a real 34,000 mile car better get a hole lot of $ out to by it, Yes it appers to be close to Org. but has had a lot of upkeep that engine compartment has over spray & looks ruff. and for a Calif car sure has a lot of rusty bits in the engine compartment, if its that way there you can bet the chassie is much worse, and photos allways look better. I trully feel I can say if it was trully a 34,000 mile car that it would be repesented much better to camand a record price. Do not beleave what sellers say any more, unless there respected in the cars area and even at that you got to see it your self.

#10 ·
I forgot

I was going to say she seems like a sweet hart, But waiting for this to boot up I looked at all the photos. Looks like it came from the east coast (salt roads) and has not been reg.tags are from 1990. and before that it came from europe and in 89 to 91 was the highest prices paid for these cars tell today. I say it was bought for investment after a cheap euro refresh and sold for big profit and has rotted sence. but it could be a Diamond but it would need to be undone and redone.

#11 ·
PSB said:
I was going to say she seems like a sweet hart, But waiting for this to boot up I looked at all the photos. Looks like it came from the east coast (salt roads) and has not been reg.tags are from 1990. and before that it came from europe and in 89 to 91 was the highest prices paid for these cars tell today. I say it was bought for investment after a cheap euro refresh and sold for big profit and has rotted sence. but it could be a Diamond but it would need to be undone and redone.
I've always been intriqued and attracted to the lines of the SS- I'm sure they make a good investment, and you sure won't see many on the road today- all reasons I would be more likely to invest in Bertone's other gem, the GTV/GTA coupe design. I would feel more comfortable driving the car in So. Cal. traffic, which is the main point of owning an Alfa to me- driving it! Still, for a collector who wants a relatively rare and interesting restoration project- hmmmmm. I'll be curious to see what this SS closes at! Dan

#12 ·
I'm with PSB on this one- the GTV's and their variants were all body color in the engine bay. (Duettos & later Spiders too for that matter). that said, lots of hood undersides got coated with bumpy black stuff early in life, possibly at the dealer before delivery.

As for Black paint, I think best black spray paint for a matte finish is Krylon's Semi-Flat Black. Don't laugh until you try it. It looks good, dries fast, doesn't fisheye like other sprays. I use it often. (see my G. Super pictures) I'm sure it is easily available in Canada too.

Does anyone have a good source for aluminum silver? I used to buy Ditzler (PPG) Chrome Aluminum Laquer in a spray can but am told they don't make it anymore. It was great stuff and I've yet to fond a decent silver spray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.