The road to Portland - Page 11 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshorey View Post
In the fwiw dept, paying for the Ron Tonkin tour after the fact was not an option. Again, for anybody who could read, the large, gaping signup sheet in the hotel lobby, you know, the signup sheet where everybody had to choose one bus or the other, clearly stated that you should NOT sign up if you weren't already registered. So hopping on either bus, and paying *after* the fact, well, that's just kind of rude.

I know I wished I could have gone on that tour..

bs
A couple of the AROO people who bought tickets to the sold out Tonkin tour early were concerned enough about people from out of town not being able to attend that we relenquished our tickets so others could go, and I sure wouldn't have provided my one and only early purchase to Stu, even before all this came to light. That antic, especially by someone local, is way beyond rude!!

Todays toy count: 2012 Challenger, 97 SVT Cobra conv, 74 BMW r60/6, 52 Chevy Styleline Deluxe, (last of 12 previous Alfa's now gone).

Last edited by RC Hiatt; 07-24-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: I am amazed that he even admits to this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider4me View Post
Hi Stu,
Since we are now discussing this in the open forum, I wanted to remind you I have reached out to you twice this week to speak. I called you after I had sent the email stating I was done with this matter, because I would sincerely like this to stop in the open forums.

I called you at home this afternoon at 2:43PM, in the hope I could speak live with you. I again left you a message with my phone number.

Unfortunately I will be going out of town and not available to speak until Monday AM. May we speak Monday then and stop all of the unnecessary posting?

This post is entitled The Road to Portland, and I really like the paintings that Jerry did to build enthusiasm for Veloce nel Verde.

Thanks to all.
Sorry that I did not return your phone message today, but a 2:43 I was on my way to Tigard to pick up my Abarth Ritmo 100S that Mark Scholtze was "holding" for me until the check I gave Val from the Seattle area cleared. It is the white 4 seat convertible with the Martini racing stripes down the side that Mark brought a number of times to the hotel during the convention. (I am very happy with the car, and have found out just 10 were built specifically for Martini Racing by Abarth, and only two survive; this one plus one in Italy...and maybe 3 unrestorable junkers)

In addition, my phone, internet, and TV has recently been switched from Comcast to Qwest. I was supposed to retain my old number, but Qwest screwed up and issued a new one. It will be changed back on the 26th to the number you have; 503-206-5823....or so I was told by Qwest.

At the moment I DO NOT have access to the mailbox for my old phone number, so I had no way of knowing you had called this afternoon.

In the meantime, my home number is 503-774-3968. My cell phone number (which is always on from around 8AM until around 10PM) is 503-724-8079.

I did not get any further e-mails from you after the one that said you were done with the matter.

I will be happy to talk with you and resolve the problems once and for all. I do NOT have your phone number.

Not only would I like to resolve the problems with AROO over convention issues, but I am willing to discuss things with members of the new national board.

As I said in an earlier post, I am now willing to forget about the past and actually write articles for the Owner (as long as I get paid for them, as some people do, and others did, in the past), and write articles for Alfa Bits for free, should the national board go along with my request.

I will NOT, however be willing to join AROC should I get any of the kinds of comments I got from people like Tom Sutter, Phylis Gaylard, and some others in the past.

I even have the old issues of the So.Cal club newsletter where Sutter and other's comments were printed. This has never been a "one-way" street; people have been just as opinionated as I have for the last 30 years!

Last edited by dretceterini; 07-24-2009 at 09:48 PM.
post #153 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Hiatt View Post
A couple of the AROO people who bought tickets to the sold out Tonkin tour early were concerned enough about people from out of town not being able to attend that we relenquished our tickets so others could go, and I sure wouldn't have provided my one and only early purchase to Stu, even before all this came to light. That antic, especially by someone local, is way beyond rude!!
OK, I apologize for my actions. I thought I had told Tammi that I wanted to go on the tour when I registered for the convention and paid the $70 fee at the hotel on Wednesday. I simply screwed up, but DID pay Tammi the $20 fee immediately when she mentioned it after returning to the hotel from the tour. This one WAS my fault, and I apologize for it!!

Now on the other hand, I feel that at the very least I am owed an appology for having to pay $200 to be a vendor at the concours AFTER the fact...and my models being held hostage until I paid...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden View Post
Like Enrique, I have also chosen to remain silent until now on this thread. Some points of clarification since it is my name that is being slung all over this thread:
  • No one should be admitted to any event that does not have a ticket or tag that indicated that they paid for the event
  • I was not aware that Stu was attempting to sit at "our" table until Enrique excused himself from our table
  • I was aware that Stu was present because he had come up to the table and tapped me on the shoulder because I was facing the podium for the awards presentation
  • I was not feeling well and asked Arno to present the People's Choice Award for me this year in memory of my late husband so there would not be a repeat of a Detroit incident
  • As I recall there was a separate award presented for the model category, although, it was included within all the art categories

My perception of the convention and how I was treated is substantially different than what has been portrayed on this thread. It is true that initially the path was not smooth due to some communication problems and issues that could have been resolved much sooner and in an easier way, but many individuals of the local Portland Club did their utmost to make sure that I was comfortable and well-cared for especially with the unexpected and uncontrollable circumstances that presented themselves. Without going into the specific details, issues, and persons involved I owe a huge thank you to Enrique and his wife, Karyl, who were instrumental in facilitating and assuring that I was safe and able to attend the convention; and additionally, to Keith Martin for opening the line of communication with Bill Gillham to resolve the previously unattended to issues.

The AROO crew did an excellent job in conducting this years convention. There are always issues and problems with any undertaking of this size; while everyone strives for perfection, this is not a perfect world even though many of us would prefer it. We always strive to obtain as close to perfection as available based on the circumstances.
Cheryl:

I was unaware that you were ill. I was basically told to f-off, and simply moved from the table to the rear of the room. There WAS supposed to be SEPERATE awards for the models; they were NOT supposed to be incorporated into the awards for the art show! See page 12 of the Veloce del Verde program for the convention!
post #155 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 10:07 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Alex Csank
Whoa, what is this!? Holy Jumping Mother of Pearl!!!!
Attached Images

Rev high! Alex 'Sandor' Csank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
514-771-9513 President, Alfa Romeo Club of Canada (ARCC) www.alfaclub.ca
post #156 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 03:26 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretceterini View Post
Dear Sir:

A number of people on the Ferrari chat have accused me of trying to present myself as something other than what I am, but when I gave them the telephone number to the administrator's office of the Department of Applied Mathematics to call (the administrator is only there 3 days a week!, and there is only 1 administrative person in that department)...not one proved that they actually called. I left the UK in a great hurry in 1997, as my mother had a stoke and developed senile dementia, and lingered on until 1999 with nothing more than a feeding tube in her stomach. My initial intention was to return, but eventually I had a friend sell my home in St.Albans and never returned. All the "physical" records I had were they, and simply got thrown away. Because there is only 1 administrator in the Applied Mathematics department, not only has it been virtually impossible to get copies of my records, but to prove I am entitled to a pension when I hit 65, in about 3.5 more years. I will probably have to go to Cambridge and get what I need, and all of this happened about 12 years ago; so I don't have any idea what they have on file!
Mr. Schaller:

I have not contacted the administrator's office of the Department of Applied Mathematics (actually Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics) at Cambridge, but I did contact Professor Hawking's personal assistant. Her reply is pasted below:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no record of Stuart Schaller at Cambridge University and Prof.
Hawking has never heard of him.

Yours sincerely,

Judith Croasdell

--
Personal Assistant to S.W. Hawking, CH,CBE,FRS
Lucasian Professor of Mathematics
Department of Applied Mathematics
and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP)
University of Cambridge
Centre for Mathematical Sciences
Wilberforce Road
Cambridge, CB3 OWA
England

Bob Cess
'59 Giulietta Sprint
'60 Giulietta Berlina
'62 Giulietta Spider
'69 Spider Veloce
post #157 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 06:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcess View Post
Mr. Schaller:

I have not contacted the administrator's office of the Department of Applied Mathematics (actually Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics) at Cambridge, but I did contact Professor Hawking's personal assistant. Her reply is pasted below:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no record of Stuart Schaller at Cambridge University and Prof.
Hawking has never heard of him.

Yours sincerely,

Judith Croasdell

--
Personal Assistant to S.W. Hawking, CH,CBE,FRS
Lucasian Professor of Mathematics
Department of Applied Mathematics
and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP)
University of Cambridge
Centre for Mathematical Sciences
Wilberforce Road
Cambridge, CB3 OWA
England
I have no idea why she would say this, but it is simply not true. She was not there when I left in 1997 to come to the US to take care of my mother who wa ill with senile dementia, and I have no idea who she is.

I always had an underlying battle with Hawking himself, as I hated the political part of education, and simply wanted to teach. I wrote as few papers as I could get away with.

Hawking (who, buy the way, is on his death bead after having had ALS for some 30 years) and I never got along that well.

Because he LOVED the "marketing and promotion" part of the job (having appeared on Star Trek a number of times) and I hated it, I refused to do ANY marketing and promotion, this underlying "friction" existed during most of my tenure at Cambridge.

I will probably have some difficulty getting my pension, because no one in administration of the Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics department is still there from when I taught at Cambridge. I plan to go in the near future, to straighten everything out.

Thank You for your concern

Stu Schaller
post #158 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 06:57 AM

Why continue to lie when your false claims have clearly been exposed?
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #159 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Hiatt View Post
A person I know who is a long-time AROO and NWARC member, has contributed to their charity auctions, and advertises in their newsletters drove 200 miles to go on the Tonkin without knowing it was full. His disappointment of being refused would be magnified manyfold if he heard of the antics of this individual.
It is too bad he had not known of your graciousness, Richard. What a thoughtful act of kindness.

[I]"It's the best in class by default, because it's the only thing in its class." [/I]
~Richard Hammond on the Alfa 4C

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Gordy Hyde[/FONT][/B][/I]
AROC-USA Secretary
Home chapter - NWARC
1971 Junior Zagato 1750 (1800605)
1974 Spider 2000 Iniezione (no carbs)
post #160 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Csank View Post
Why continue to lie when your false claims have clearly been exposed?
Alex:

You are getting out of hand. Would you like me to sue you for deformation of character, as I have had to do with Olczyk? Stop your attack IMMEDIATELY, or that is EXACTLY what I will do.
post #161 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Would you like me to sue you for deformation of character, as I have had to do with Olczyk?
I think you've established that its deformed.

Todays toy count: 2012 Challenger, 97 SVT Cobra conv, 74 BMW r60/6, 52 Chevy Styleline Deluxe, (last of 12 previous Alfa's now gone).

Last edited by RC Hiatt; 07-25-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Spelling (I had to)
post #162 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Gold Subscriber

"Deformation" of character is very droll.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #163 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Alex:

You are getting out of hand. Would you like me to sue you for deformation of character, as I have had to do with Olczyk? Stop your attack IMMEDIATELY, or that is EXACTLY what I will do.
Mr. Schaller, I have not attacked you, nor have I written anything defamatory in nature. I have asked you several times politely to refrain from making accusations against AROC, AROO and the Veloce Nel Verde convention organizers in this public forum. The remainder of my posts have been simply my attempt at humor in the face of the building frustration yu have caused by your remarks.

I have attached some tips below regarding defamation of character:

"Defamation of character can include slander (spoken derogatory statements), libel (written derogatory statements) or both. To constitute actionable defamation, the statements must be false and expose a person to hatred, ridicule or contempt. You also can sue if the defamation harms you in your occupation. Follow these steps to start a legal action.

Step 1 - Understand what you need to prove to sue for defamation of character. Generally, to make a successful defamation of character claim, you must show that there was a false statement of fact, this statement was conveyed to a third party and the statement is understood to be about you and tending to harm your reputation. In the case of a public figure, actual malice must also be proved.

Step 2 - Recognize the defenses to a defamation of character suit. Truth is an absolute defense to a defamation action. A privileged statement, such as a statement made in court, is also protected. Likewise, innocent dissemination and consent to the statement being made are also defenses.

Step 3 - Gather information. Before you sue for defamation of character, you should get copies of all papers, documents or other evidence that helps establish your claim. You should also make a list of any and all witnesses to your claim who may be able to testify on your behalf.

Step 4 - Consult an attorney. You should speak with an attorney experienced in defamation of character issues for questions regarding your claim, and for advice and representation regarding how to sue for defamation of character.

Step 5 - File a complaint in state court. You will need to identify the person making the defamatory statement and lay out the factual elements of your claim. Ask for actual damages incurred as well as punitive damages. If your claim is for a small amount, you may want to consider filing in small claims court for a less costly and time-consuming process."

I do not wish you any ill will. I simply and sincerely ask that yu refrain from your accusations and now, your threats.

Thanks.

post #164 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 08:29 AM

The appropriate term in this instance is defecation of character.

Jeff Lang
'85 GTV6 3L, '78 Alfetta Sport Sedan
post #165 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 08:42 AM

I had a great time at the convention, and thank you Jerry for the cool print and great Alfa cutting board !! My girl loves it !
Anybody else have a good time ??
Attached Images

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode