The road to Portland - Page 10 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:37 AM

The Road to personal attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry Quinlisk View Post
maybe I should turn the key off ....
Someone probably will, but don't let them bother your good efforts Jerry.

Todays toy count: 2012 Challenger, 97 SVT Cobra conv, 74 BMW r60/6, 52 Chevy Styleline Deluxe, (last of 12 previous Alfa's now gone).

Last edited by RC Hiatt; 07-25-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: punktuation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:42 AM

Moderators:
Awww shucks... leave it alone, I'm still amused:-)

[FONT=Arial Black]OldMaster[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Rick Clemente[/FONT]
post #138 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:12 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Alex Csank
Hmmmm....I know what this thread needs!
Attached Images

Rev high! Alex 'Sandor' Csank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
514-771-9513 President, Alfa Romeo Club of Canada (ARCC) www.alfaclub.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Gold Subscriber

Interesting Return Trip

We left Portland at 8 AM and planned to drive up I-5 to Kelso, and head to 101 to overnight at Port Townsend. Then to Vancouver on Monday.

I drove my Spider quite hard on the track and on the tour to Mount Hood.

Coming out of Kelso there was a little clutch slip, so the immediate decision was to stay on 5 directly to home.

After lunch and fuel just north of Seattle I was gently going up the ramp -first was good, second was good and then there was nothing in third.

This was not like a slipping clutch, so put it in fourth, which was good--so we could keep motoring so long as the traffic did not stop.

Near Everett traffic came close to stopping --twice

Planned to leave the highway on the last exit into Blaine and the border, but in coming around the curve, traffic had stopped about 300 yards before the exit.

Fortunately, the sidewalk has a rounded curb so drove along as slow as I could in fourth. Lois was worried about "road rage", I was concerned about "sidewalk rage".

Made the exit into a Shell Station and BCAA sent a deck to take us and the car across the border and to home.

I had already bought a "built" close-ratio box with the tall fifth from Richard (Alfar7) and it is on its way.

Off to London on Monday and the car will be repaired before the trip to the interior planned for the week of August 11.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.

Last edited by Subtle; 07-24-2009 at 09:45 AM.
post #140 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretceterini View Post
Not accusations but FACTS!
I was going to stay out of this, but I won’t tolerate flat out lies…

There isn’t anything confusing about what the charges are at a convention and this one was no different. The problem for this liar is that he simply wants to participate in activities without paying, and just too stupid to realize that he is not fooling anyone. I was at the convention, for the entire duration, and I observed his behavior first hand.

On Thursday, he got on the Ron Tonkin Tour bus, even though he had not registered for the event… I won’t go into his shenanigans related to the tour (and the other activities), but I will say that the registration desk was notified, and after the tour Tami did ask him to pay (like everyone else had). Of course, he played dumb and pretended not to know what she was referring to, until she got upset and got him to pay.

As the convention progressed, this liar decided that he was going to be a vendor, but was not obligated to register as a vendor and could simply sell his products, which he did. Well, once again Tami chased him for the money…

On Saturday afternoon, when the vendors closed their stations and covered their products with sheets (as they were going to the evening banquet), this liar went into the vendor room, pulled the sheets off, and started helping himself to a thorough inspection of their products. Thank goodness he was caught in the act by the convention chairman, who kicked him out… (Getting kicked out also ended his attempts to get into the Banquet – another event which he claimed he has no interest in…)

Of course, he came back the following day, on Sunday, to the Awards Brunch. The ballroom doors were open, as they are many times at a convention, and this liar went into the room and decided that he was, again, going to participate without paying. He came over to the table that I was sitting at, and asked my wife to move over so he could “squeeze in”. My wife was sitting to my left, and Cheryl Braden was sitting to her left, at a round table, which was full. Well, they both looked at me and of course I realized what was going on and told him to get lost.

Sorry, my fellow BBers, for this post, but I think it’s best to know the type of sleazy liar that is posting falsehoods...

Best regards,

Enrique
[SIZE="1"]Spider 74, 84 & 87
Milano 88 Verde
164 91S, 93L & 95Q[/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][I][COLOR="Green"]Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
[B][FONT="Verdana"][RIGHT]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/RIGHT][/FONT][/B]
post #141 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle View Post
...Fortunately, the sidewalk has a rounded curb so drove along as slow as I could in fourth. Lois was worried about "road rage", I was concerned about "sidewalk rage...
So Bob, the saying is accurate - "If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk" ???

Sorry to hear of the trouble, but glad you (almost) made it home.

[I]"It's the best in class by default, because it's the only thing in its class." [/I]
~Richard Hammond on the Alfa 4C

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Gordy Hyde[/FONT][/B][/I]
AROC-USA Secretary
Home chapter - NWARC
1971 Junior Zagato 1750 (1800605)
1974 Spider 2000 Iniezione (no carbs)
post #142 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcess View Post
Pasted below is an exchange that appeared in the recent “Tipo 256” thread. I feel it is appropriate to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretceterini View Post
I do not have a medical degree, but I do have THREE PhDs...Economics from London School in England, Mechanical Engineering from Cambridge in England, and Theoretical Physics from Cambridge in England. I then taught at Cambridge at the post-graduate level for over 20 years, and retired in 1997. Hawking was my boss for over 20 years!

Dott.Ing.Stuart Schaller
Portland, Oregon

Mr. Schaller:

I have a good friend who is a long-time member of the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics at the University of Cambridge, the department in which Stephen Hawking is also a faculty member. My friend has no recollection of you ever having been associated with that department, nor can he find, in the Cambridge Record, information that you have ever been associated with the University of Cambridge in any capacity. To resolve this mystery, perhaps you could scan and post your University of Cambridge diplomas.
Dear Sir:

A number of people on the Ferrari chat have accused me of trying to present myself as something other than what I am, but when I gave them the telephone number to the administrator's office of the Department of Applied Mathematics to call (the administrator is only there 3 days a week!, and there is only 1 administrative person in that department)...not one proved that they actually called. I left the UK in a great hurry in 1997, as my mother had a stoke and developed senile dementia, and lingered on until 1999 with nothing more than a feeding tube in her stomach. My initial intention was to return, but eventually I had a friend sell my home in St.Albans and never returned. All the "physical" records I had were they, and simply got thrown away. Because there is only 1 administrator in the Applied Mathematics department, not only has it been virtually impossible to get copies of my records, but to prove I am entitled to a pension when I hit 65, in about 3.5 more years. I will probably have to go to Cambridge and get what I need, and all of this happened about 12 years ago; so I don't have any idea what they have on file!
post #143 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 01:35 PM

As a first time convention attendee, and at the same time renewing my membership after several years, it is most disconcerting during a period of declining club membership to see all this bickering going on.
We registered late at Portland on Fri morning, so weren't able to take in very much, as most things were fully booked. We loved what we saw. Great Tech sessions, great concourse. We love Alfas and have 3, nothing else, only Alfas. Surely we've got to focus on what's important...to share knowledge to keep the excitement alive for these great cars and to promote them.

Red 1991 164S, Black 1991 164S, Red 1987 Milano, 1972 Berlina, 1973 Berlina rebuilding SPICA engine
post #144 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunige View Post

There isn’t anything confusing about what the charges are at a convention and this one was no different. The problem for this liar is that he simply wants to participate in activities without paying, and just too stupid to realize that he is not fooling anyone. I was at the convention, for the entire duration, and I observed his behavior first hand.

On Thursday, he got on the Ron Tonkin Tour bus, even though he had not registered for the event… I won’t go into his shenanigans related to the tour (and the other activities), but I will say that the registration desk was notified, and after the tour Tami did ask him to pay (like everyone else had). Of course, he played dumb and pretended not to know what she was referring to, until she got upset and got him to pay.

As the convention progressed, this liar decided that he was going to be a vendor, but was not obligated to register as a vendor and could simply sell his products, which he did. Well, once again Tami chased him for the money…

On Saturday afternoon, when the vendors closed their stations and covered their products with sheets (as they were going to the evening banquet), this liar went into the vendor room, pulled the sheets off, and started helping himself to a thorough inspection of their products. Thank goodness he was caught in the act by the convention chairman, who kicked him out… (Getting kicked out also ended his attempts to get into the Banquet – another event which he claimed he has no interest in…)

Of course, he came back the following day, on Sunday, to the Awards Brunch. The ballroom doors were open, as they are many times at a convention, and this liar went into the room and decided that he was, again, going to participate without paying. He came over to the table that I was sitting at, and asked my wife to move over so he could “squeeze in”. My wife was sitting to my left, and Cheryl Braden was sitting to her left, at a round table, which was full. Well, they both looked at me and of course I realized what was going on and told him to get lost.

Sorry, my fellow BBers, for this post, but I think it’s best to know the type of sleazy liar that is posting falsehoods...

Best regards,
Excuse me! EVERYONE knew my intention to be a vendor at the race track and at the concours at least 3 weeks BEFORE the convention, and I was told those two events wold be free.

As to the awards banquet, I simply walked in to get an award for participation in the model car contest....NOT to get "free food". I had paid $20 to enter the contest, and there was supposed to be a SEPERATE award for just the models, and the art awards were NOT supposed to be combined from the model awards...hence the fact I either want my $20 back or an award.

As you stated, I DID pay Tami the $200 for the vendor booth at the concours, and DID pay the $20 for the Tonkin Tour. I feel tyhat because I was NOT notified that a vendor booth at the concours would have any cost, I feel that splitting the $200 and me paing $100 would have been a lot more fair.

I did not "weasel my way in" to the Tonkin Tour, did NOT argue with Tami about paying the $20 and whnt to the ATM and handed her the $20. I simply forgot I did not pay, and had no problem apying for that IMMEDIATELY when asked by Tami to do so.

At this point what I think would be fair is:

1) to either get my $20 back for the model contest entry, or get some kind of award.

2) to get $100 of the $200 I paid for the vendor booth at the concours back, as I was NOT notified there would be a fee for that in front; I was notified by Tami walking up to me, demanding $200, and implying that my models would be held hostage until I paid the $200. I PAID IT!

If you now want a battle, I am fully prepared to make this a legal one!

I even had a discussion with a couple on 2010 BOD members about forgetting the past, rejoining the AROC after a 25 year absence (I first joined in 1958!) and doing article for the owner, IF I got paid for the, as Pat Braden (and others) did. They were supposed to get back to me after discussing the matter between all the members of the 2010 board, but have not done so as yet.

Obviously my view of things is substantially differnet than yours.

I am willing to end this conflict once and for all; but before I am willing to do so, I want the "problems" over the convention resolved.

Thank You,
Stuart Schaller

PS: Cheryl Braden had NO problem with me sitting at "your" table; only YOU did...but rather than argue, I simply sat in the rear of the room, awaiting the awards announcement for the models contest...which never came!!!!

PPS: Perhaps you are not aware that I WAS on the BOD of the So Cal chapter for almost 20 years, INCLUDING the time I lived in Europe, at THEIR request, even though I WAS NOT an AROC member during any part of that time period!!!
post #145 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 02:07 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Alex Csank
Sunshine, Lollipops...and Rainbows, everything that's wonderful is sure to come your way...
Attached Images

Rev high! Alex 'Sandor' Csank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
514-771-9513 President, Alfa Romeo Club of Canada (ARCC) www.alfaclub.ca
post #146 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 02:52 PM

The Road to Portland

Like Enrique, I have also chosen to remain silent until now on this thread. Some points of clarification since it is my name that is being slung all over this thread:
  • No one should be admitted to any event that does not have a ticket or tag that indicated that they paid for the event
  • I was not aware that Stu was attempting to sit at "our" table until Enrique excused himself from our table
  • I was aware that Stu was present because he had come up to the table and tapped me on the shoulder because I was facing the podium for the awards presentation
  • I was not feeling well and asked Arno to present the People's Choice Award for me this year in memory of my late husband so there would not be a repeat of a Detroit incident
  • As I recall there was a separate award presented for the model category, although, it was included within all the art categories

My perception of the convention and how I was treated is substantially different than what has been portrayed on this thread. It is true that initially the path was not smooth due to some communication problems and issues that could have been resolved much sooner and in an easier way, but many individuals of the local Portland Club did their utmost to make sure that I was comfortable and well-cared for especially with the unexpected and uncontrollable circumstances that presented themselves. Without going into the specific details, issues, and persons involved I owe a huge thank you to Enrique and his wife, Karyl, who were instrumental in facilitating and assuring that I was safe and able to attend the convention; and additionally, to Keith Martin for opening the line of communication with Bill Gillham to resolve the previously unattended to issues.

The AROO crew did an excellent job in conducting this years convention. There are always issues and problems with any undertaking of this size; while everyone strives for perfection, this is not a perfect world even though many of us would prefer it. We always strive to obtain as close to perfection as available based on the circumstances.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)

Last edited by Pat Braden; 07-24-2009 at 03:12 PM.
post #147 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 02:53 PM

Oh my....sometimes... ya' just can't please em' all.

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make this convention such a great success!
Attached Images

jstbeachy
[B]95 164LS[/B]
[B]73 GTV[/B] [I]Gatto Dorato[/I]
[I]woulda' shoulda' kept it[/I]
[B]78 Spider[/B]
post #148 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 04:00 PM

Garage
Thanks Cheryl!

Thanks Cheryl for stepping in and clarifying your thoughts and experiences. I am happy AROO and AROC members were able to assist when needed.

Neil

"Nominum quid geminus?"
post #149 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 04:20 PM

Garage
Stu, Left you another phone message today

Hi Stu,
Since we are now discussing this in the open forum, I wanted to remind you I have reached out to you twice this week to speak. I called you after I had sent the email stating I was done with this matter, because I would sincerely like this to stop in the open forums.

I called you at home this afternoon at 2:43PM, in the hope I could speak live with you. I again left you a message with my phone number.

Unfortunately I will be going out of town and not available to speak until Monday AM. May we speak Monday then and stop all of the unnecessary posting?

This post is entitled The Road to Portland, and I really like the paintings that Jerry did to build enthusiasm for Veloce nel Verde.

Thanks to all.

Neil

"Nominum quid geminus?"
post #150 of 173 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunige View Post
Enrique,

Thanks for posting the 'other side' to this story.

Does135,

You're a genius.

Anybody considering lawsuits over a $20 art show trophy,

You might want to have your legal team peruse the Veloce Nel Verde web site. The art show, and the judging, are clearly called out there. I'm not sure who said what to who, but the rules are in writing, so before you invest heavily in trying to recover your $20, you might make sure you have a good, solid, legal case.

I'll bet judges go to law school just to hear cases like this one!

In the fwiw dept, paying for the Ron Tonkin tour after the fact was not an option. Again, for anybody who could read, the large, gaping signup sheet in the hotel lobby, you know, the signup sheet where everybody had to choose one bus or the other, clearly stated that you should NOT sign up if you weren't already registered. So hopping on either bus, and paying *after* the fact, well, that's just kind of rude.

I know I wished I could have gone on that tour..

bs
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode