grigio biacca - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
grigio biacca

hello.
the person in charge of the body of my car didn't measure the complexity to have this color.
i read some thread on this topic but not clear definition.
Daes someone find the good color code (in a modern system) pour this color?
thanks a lot philippe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 12:43 PM

Garage
The Alfa paint code for Grigio Biacca is AR-702 (Ditzler/PPG #32424, no DuPont number).

For Glasurit, go to Glasurit color online and enter "Alfa Romeo" for the manufacturer. The screen will refresh and populate the "Color Name" field with names. Select "Grigio Biacca" and click on "Start Search". The screen will refresh and show Grigio Biacca with color code AR-702. Click anywhere on that line and the bottom part of the screen will refresh with info about Paint Lines 22 and 55. Click on one of these lines and it will show tint or hue variants (in this case, only "Standard" for Grigio Biacca). Click on "Standard" and then "Next" to show the paint formula. Clicking on "Back" will return you to the previous screen.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]

Last edited by tubut; 10-30-2018 at 12:48 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 04:04 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I discourage any idea that a "code" will produce anything like what you hope for, in any car color, including Grigio Biacca. Well, if you don't mind that the red, white, or whatever is miles away from what you thought you were getting, you may be happy with that red, white, or whatever.

I am convinced that the only way to get a color that is exactly the color you want is this:

Find a highly expert paint mixing genius.
Find a sample of the color you want, or which is at least close.
Have the expert (him or her, hereafter referred to has "him") do some hand-matching until they duplicate the sample you provided, or the appropriately modified color you asked him to achieve.
Paint a test panel, let it dry, take it out into the sun, and decide if it's what you want. If not, have your genius do some more mixing until you produce a test panel that makes the angel's sing.
Use the computerized color-matching camera which the paint-store has, and which has been calibrated to work with the paints they sell, and scan the hand-mixed, painted, dry test panel.
Using the formula produced by the camera, that is correct for the brand of paint that your store sells (and no other brand at any other paint store), mix enough paint for your car.
Spray a test panel, and confirm it matches what you want. If not, your genius can tweak it.
Paint your car.
Celebrate.

I've seen pre-determined formulae for Grigio Biacca that come out refrigerator white, pale green, pale blue, and faint gray, all of which are deadly wrong. GB is a sort of "ivory" color, and referring to it as gray is a red herring.

The concept of a mixing formula works if your car is less than about five years old, and your body shop is repainting the entire car after some sort of shunt. It won't be exactly the color that your car had when it was new, but it'll be close enough that (if you painted the entire car) you won't notice.

Modern paints from modern paint companies are so different from what was used on the Touring cars that no computer will have a formula that works.

I found a few spots on my 59 Grigio Biacca Touring 2000 that had been hidden from the sun since new. Specifically, under the chrome top hold-down brackets on the rear deck. We removed the chrome hold downs, and polished up the old lacquer to its original lustre. Having been spared from the sun and elements for 50 years, we had an original patch that we could use the computerized camera on. This produced a formula for the store's paint, and we were jubilant with the results. We just did the same thing with my current 10204 project, using patches found under the chrome door rubber bumper guides on the rear door face.

If you have no original paint in perfect condition to scan, you're better off having your genius mix until you see something you're happy with.

I could possibly get a formula by having my painted car scanned, but it is highly unlikely your paint store will have the same paint as used on mine, and thus the formula would be useless, or at best, a starting point.

Early Touring cars did not live in the digital era.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 07:36 PM

Garage
I agree that Don's approach, if possible (that is, if original, undisturbed paint areas can be found), would bring the best results.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
hello thanks
did you use this color? : it seems very grey on glassurit site.
pc
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 11:23 PM

Garage
You can't judge colors from what you see on your monitor. You need to get samples and spray test panels (and look at them in different lighting conditions).

-Ruedi
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 01:42 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPIRA2600 View Post
hello thanks
pc
Unfortunately, you are not in Italy, where they know how to get that exact colour.

It's not grey at all.

Let's say a palish white.
Attached Images

70' Ghibli SSS (one-off - featured in Octane UK #183 + Octane Deutschland #38)
63' 2600 Touring H-Top S.1
64' 2600 Touring H-Top S.2
74' Montreal
66' Moretti 1100R
76' Fiat 130 Coupé
68' Datsun Roadster 2000 Racing...

16' 991 GT3 RS soon...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 06:13 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPIRA2600 View Post
hello thanks
pc
This is my point.

Modern paint company formulas will not reproduce this color the way it was originally.

It is a fairly extreme step, but I could have my local paint matching guru duplicate my color (which duplicates the original), spray a panel, and send it to you for your local paint store to match. We could then circulate the panel to others if they wish to duplicate it.

I have no idea of the cost. These people do this work for their living.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 06:46 AM
Gold Subscriber

Another thing being the quality of the paint : polyurethane or cellulosic. If I remember well.

Few are the developped countries where you can use the same quality of paint.

So, the right matching colour is purely anecdotic.

74' Montreal
66' Moretti 1100R
76' Fiat 130 Coupé

16' 991 GT3 RS soon...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:00 AM

Garage
One other thing to consider is that the color of the primer (or paint) under the new paint will have an effect on the final color of the paint.

Mark
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Wouldn't another option be to circulating a panel for people to take around to get match be, to take your camera matched formula and find a local supplier of that exact paint brand and product? Just a thought.

Cheers,

Carson, 4 Alfa's, 9 Cars, 4 Motorcycles
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:35 AM
Gold Subscriber

Maybe, but pb of shipping worldwide (chemical products, weight...) 1st.

2nd, you may know that there always will be people to be unhappy.

74' Montreal
66' Moretti 1100R
76' Fiat 130 Coupé

16' 991 GT3 RS soon...
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:57 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemilano View Post
Wouldn't another option be to circulating a panel for people to take around to get match be, to take your camera matched formula and find a local supplier of that exact paint brand and product? Just a thought.

Cheers,
This is what I suggested earlier. Use your local paint vendor, equipped with modern matching camera, and have a panel (or several panels) duplicated to a known original paint color. No one has suggested shipping mixed paint, as Danny appears to have misassumed.

Is my Grigio Biacca perfect to the original? Who knows. I am confident it is, but Alfa colors (and presumably Touring colors) could be different from batch to batch and day to day.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:00 AM
Gold Subscriber

Yes Don, I misassumed.

However, the pbs remain (quite) the same I guess.

74' Montreal
66' Moretti 1100R
76' Fiat 130 Coupé

16' 991 GT3 RS soon...
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:14 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
“pbs” in the US is a well known Television station. I have no idea what it means with respect to Alfas.

When it comes to paint in general, and Grigio Biacca specifically, I think having a known panel as a starting point is likely to make an owner happier than using a stock formula and ending up with a vaguely pink car.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode