Another 2000T Project - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Alfa7283
  • 1 Post By Alfa7283

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Another 2000T Project

Greetings! My husband and I (with help from our son-in-law) are undertaking the restoration of a 1960 2000 Touring. The car has been in my family since the late 60s when Dad bought it used in 1967. There was some discussion on another thread regarding an original yellow color of a 2000 Touring. I just happened to come across this old photo of my Dadís car and thought fellow enthusiasts might be amused at the color. Yes, itís likened to a school bus yellow! It was that color when Dad bought it, but of course, it is not the original color. It was originally Alfa Red according to official records.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Here's what the body looks like today.
Attached Images

DPeterson3 and IRONBLOCK like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 11:08 AM

Garage
Very Nice! It looks like the Touring Roadster is in good hands. The question is, will the yellow prevail or will it be returned to the original red or yet another color? Are you in the photo with the yellow Touring? Good luck with the restoration.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Stopped by the body shop this morning and the owner pointed out and asked me about this tag found in the engine compartment. Does anyone know what this number 361 might be?

Donna
Attached Images

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa7283 View Post
Stopped by the body shop this morning and the owner pointed out and asked me about this tag found in the engine compartment. Does anyone know what this number 361 might be?

Donna
That's the Touring-internal job number (described as "Scocca" number by John de Boer), typically used on 2600 Spiders, see this thread. Apparently, Touring started to used them on 102 cars also at some point in time. You'll find this number stamped or written on all custom-fitted components (e.g. the rear shock tower covers, etc.).

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]

Last edited by tubut; 01-16-2018 at 10:59 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

The heater core on my 102 restoration project is shot. The local radiator repair shop says it likely froze at one time and quoted a little over $400 to build a new one. Any recommendations where I might find a less expensive replacement? I've checked the usual vendors (OKP, Classic Alfa, AFRA, eBay, etc.) Thanks!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:48 AM

Garage
Donna, we could use some more up-to-date restoration photographs.

Yikes! They may be on eBay for $495 or so...and the heaters are not all that effective in cold weather.

I seem to recall others using a replacement heater core, maybe from a 'Smith's' heater in a British car...hopefully someone with better knowledge on this subject will come to your rescue. Make sure that the heater housing screws are original and short, otherwise it is possible for them to pierce the heater core. I believe the heater air-duct can be purchased through Christian Ondak at OKP but it may be necessary to email him directly; same with the original under hood insulating material.

Here is a link to threads regarding our heater cores: https://www.google.com/search?q=heat...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Mark
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONBLOCK View Post
Donna, we could use some more up-to-date restoration photographs.

Mark
It has been in the body shop since September 2017. Paint was finally done a couple of weeks ago. Went with Alfa Red, the original color of this car. It's a beauty! Front suspension and rear end installed this week.
Attached Images

PS70 likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 08:24 AM

Garage
Wow, your car looks beautiful! It is so much better looking in red then school bus yellow. That looks like a first rate shop too and whoever is doing the work looks like they are doing it right.

Does anyone have a good used heater core for this car?

Mark
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 08:09 PM

I've got an extra

[B]JAY NUXOLL [/B][EMAIL="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

It's the little things....

Well, the car is at home in the garage and we (I say we only figuratively) begin the task of reassembly. My job is mainly searching for and ordering parts. Hubby is working on the braking system. Three of the eccentric bolts are missing the washer/cam-looking thingies (pictured). Have had no luck finding these. Does anyone know a source? Thanks and Happy New Year!

Donna
Attached Images

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 10:57 AM
Gold Subscriber

H I am currently restoring my 102. I had the same problem with the heater matrix. I managed to find a company called Coolex in the UK who rebuilt mine at a reasonable cost£120 Let me know if you would like further details but please bear in mind the cost of delivery to and from the USA!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode