May the circle remain unbroken - 10204 01488 - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 250Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 1042 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:06 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Powder coating is definitely not OE, even for modern cars.

But some consider it just paint ... I don't.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1042 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:13 PM

Don, I can tell you that those pins on the shoes are intended to act as a massive frustration device when trying to both reinstall the shoes and fit the drums (especially the rears). Like you, I can see no other purpose. Hence my recent post about frustration on refitting both shoes and drums.

As to finishes. While I'm no expert, I have helped a friend who's father started collecting cars in the 50's out of Reno and focused on high end Euro stuff (Bugatti's, Merc SSK's and such) prep and show cars at Pebble Beach. I learned early about how the auctions go as some of his cars got moved from show to sell. To get top dollar I would replicate factory finishes whenever and wherever possible. Powder coating things? Not so much. Selling a restoration at auction for top dollar is very different than taking your car to shows next to those very same auctions. Buyers who pay top dollar typically know whats what for the era of car they are buying, if not the specifics of the manufacturer. It doesn't take much to drag the price down from the top to 25% less based on small (to you) details. I'm sure your car will look and be fantastic once you're done, but since your building to sell I'd recommend attention to (original) detail.
BTW - once again, thank you for taking the time to share your project.
Anfanuts likes this.
post #93 of 1042 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Random replies...

I powder coat things that aren't particularly visible, and live a hard life. Front suspension arms, springs, backing plates, rear axle housing, etc. Alfa used a lead-based primer that is tenacious as hell. Can't get that "original" material, so I use the improved version. The exterior paint also won't be lacquer. The under coating won't be gummy rubbery asphalt. And so it goes. My practice is to build the best car (or airplane) that I can, balancing a respect for originality with long term reliability, plus some added performance. I really don't care if my stuff sets price records. I decide what my price is, and am happy when, not if, I get it. I've told more than one prospective buyer they were no longer eligible to buy my work.

The reassembly of the brakes is relatively easy. The wheel cylinder is the "key", like a Chinese puzzle. Install the adjuster first, then hang the shoes-with-springs into the assembly. Last piece is wheel cylinder, while prying open the "jaws" of the two shoes.

The 102 with the Rover engine advertised in Hemmings for $240,000 is described as having a powder coated body. Bet that was an interesting job.

I reckon I'll send both of my rear end pumpkins to Larry for a check, as long as I'll be pulling the axles. That's the hard part.

And as for slavish originality....

I plan to use the cam grinds I have in the 102-2300, and an OKP manifold with 40DCOEs, plus the new plenum we designed for this mod. I'll include a box with a pair of freshly rebuilt 44PHHs, attached to a restored plenum and manifold, along with instructions on how to remove about 30 horsepower from the car. The buyer who will want my car will never use them. I don't do this to make statues.

If it ain't fun, I do something else.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 1042 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Fiddly work

The small number of pictures does not reveal the amount of time and work done today.

I got the screws reinserted into the right door hinge. PITA. I took them out when I planned to remove said body-side door hinge, but after removing discovered that this hinge was also welded into place. I guess Touring had concerns about their doors flying off at the eye-watering speeds achieved by the Solex-equipped 2000.

I spoke with Larry Jr today. The guts of the trans are surprisingly good, given the external funkiness. All the gears are good, but we're going to replace all of the bearings and some of the synchro stuff. He reckons it'll be good.

This led to a conversation about hardware. He's got a place not far away that does a black-zinc plating process that is a close match to the original black-oxide. We all know that the oxide finish sort of depended upon a prompt and continuous re-oiling, either from the engine or trans, to prevent rust from appearing. So, to take advantage of the minimum-batch price, I went through my years of Alfa hardware and dumped all of it that appeared like it would benefit. Some of these I had already done a black-sulfite blackening, but that requires a clear-coat to stop the rust.

It turns out I do have a left and right rear brake backing plate. One of them was just rotated funny by the hyper-active idiots who worked on this car several decades ago. They must be the ones who felt it was appropriate to paint everything green that they removed. Easy to trace their work, and give those areas some extra scrutiny.

Part of the fun of this project is the logistical skills I built back when my poor choice of parents forced me to work for a living. I now have the steel on the way for the rotisserie, the glass-slurry paint stripper/surface prep guy awaiting delivery of the rotisserie-mounted body, the body guy standing by with my project at the top of his list (best painter I've ever used), several thousand dollars of parts stacking up at Classic Alfa pending my "ship now" signal, Borrani of America pursuing a quote and clarification of just *** their catalog is trying to tell us, 3 more Pirelli CA67s en route, the chromer looking forward to a nice bump in his annual billings, quotes in hand from Donatella Esposito for the interior (choice of vinyl or leather?), and a nearby fellow Alfisto offering to come down and help. I'm going to take him up on that. He's the guy with the one-owner (his dad) 71 GTV in his garage undergoing a sloooooowwwww resto. He'll experience the other version down here. I suppose he thinks I'll help him with the 1750 GT when I finish this. Might just do that.

A pot of beans and sausage has been on the stove all day. I've just added some hot sauce that my (hopefully temporarily) absent wife brought home from her visit to her mother's services in Australia last year. I wonder if she was hoping this would kill me? For those of you who like a little spice in your life, one tooth pick dipped into this, and stirred into a bowl of chili was TOO MUCH. I've dolloped in what might be a lethal dose into about two gallons of pintos and sausage. If my regular posts cease, you'll know why.

Next week....

Trip to powder coater with first load.
Three wheels off to Stockton Wheel for straightening
Fly over to Lampson field near Clear Lake, CA to pick up my airplane, then down to APE/Tracy to drop off two rear-end pumpkins for inspection, along with a tub of hardware for plating
Start collating, photographing, and inventorying all the chrome and shiny bits that need to head toward Oregon.
Send two or three more orders to CA for stock-piling.
Send pictures of front wheel cylinders to both CA and OKP (both of whom have never heard of the late style brakes on a 102)

G'night Gracie
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Last edited by DPeterson3; 01-12-2018 at 06:22 PM.
post #95 of 1042 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I should add that Australia is the country that boasts of a company, "Dickens Cider" that offers amusing ads about their products.

IanL and JJr like this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Last edited by DPeterson3; 01-14-2018 at 06:10 AM.
post #96 of 1042 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:48 PM
Gold Subscriber

Don

Impressive amount of work done since your initial post on November 21.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #97 of 1042 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Yes it is, eh?

The hard part remains. This is all brute-force stuff. Air ratchets, screw drivers, and who cares if you scar the surface of the car?

The more rewarding part comes when one starts the reassembly on the pristine tub, making sure each bolt head and nut is the right type, in the right place, without fingerprints on the paint.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmm
deepblue likes this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #98 of 1042 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
My Reno neighbor Joe Atencio came down yesterday, with his daughter, Jenna. We got the shop significantly straightened out. For the last few weeks, things were flying off the car and into a few labeled bins, or onto a shelf, or piled on the floor. We resorted bins, re stacked shelves, and got the bins organized. Floor cleared and swept. Not just everybody will volunteer to help clean up a shop. He might have been expecting to help remove the last few bits from the car, and we did some of that, but what we got done was a critical step. Thanks Joe!

I've kept the pink-fuzz-with-black-plastic insulation originally placed on the backside of the firewall. Anyone know where to get the best replacement for this stuff?

Steel for rotisserie arriving this week. That won't take too long to fabricate.
JJr likes this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #99 of 1042 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 01:56 PM

Arrow AFRA knows about Self Adjusting 102 series brakes.

Don,
There is nothing strange to AFRA about the 102 series self adjusting brakes. They have two different types of wheel cylinders. When they are on ones care the real tip off is the round black piece on the side of the brake shoe that has to fit onto the pin on the backing plate. That black piece looks like a disk with a hole in the center on one side (that's where the pin on the backing plate fits) and what looks like a 24mm (or so) hex on the other (outside of the shoe). The front cylinders are different, and I used to have a photo of one with the crucial adjuster on the end that was broken off. I can't find that now, but I am sending you the catalog photos of front cylinders from AFRA showing the two different numbers. For example, the self adjusting are on my #00019 sprint (the latest model), but not on either my ancient #00126 spider or my even older #00900 sedan.

The secret to fitting the self adjusting brakes is to fit one end of the shoe in place, then be sure the pin is in the center hole of the black slider (other end of the shoe will be way out of place) and then tap the other end of the shoe to fit on the opposite side where it can also be secured. I do this one shoe at a time, then take one off to put the springs (they only stretch so far) onto both shoes and -- guess what? -- they fit wonderfully and push out to adjust to fit the drums when you first stomp hard on the brake pedal. I still don't know if Seattle Dan ever got his done.
Attached Images

[B]JAY NUXOLL [/B][EMAIL="
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.
post #100 of 1042 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 02:04 PM

I am still jealous, Don.
Larry Bono

1962 Alfa 2600 Spider, bought in 1970, sold in 2016.
1969 Porsche 912 Coupe owned since new.
post #101 of 1042 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
What was surprising to me had nothing to do with the technical details of the self-adjusting brakes, it's that Christian at OKP claimed he'd never heard of such a thing. They currently list only one type of front cylinders (sold as a set), which I assumed were the early manual-adjusting types. It turns out that the ones OKP lists are the later self-adjusting (although Christian disclaims knowledge of such). I am certain OKP used to list both types, but maybe not. I've been wrong before, the last time being this morning.

Mine may be rebuildable. I haven't taken them apart yet. That'll probably happen later tonight, or tomorrow.

I dropped off the first load of powder coating work at the coater. We had a good laugh

Tomorrow I hope to box up a bunch of stuff to ship to various vendors, wheelwright, Lionel Velez, chromer, etc.

I feel a nap coming on...

BTW - watch BAT for a 10204 project appearing soon. I'm helping a fellow organize the auction for this project. Should be fun to watch.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #102 of 1042 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 07:01 PM

Don, posted this on the 2000T New Project thread but wanted to come back here as well. I believe this might be the site you are looking for that has an assortment of badging for old Italian cars. . I didn't look thru it to see if it had what you needed though but I'm going to guess they can source it if they don't already have the script you're looking for:

Black Barts Emporium, Inc
post #103 of 1042 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Auto adjusting brakes.... Really????

Got some work done last night and today, but not as much as I'd like. Still, daily progress.

I've always been told that the later style brakes on the 102 were auto-adjusting, and a few of you have remarked how you like having auto-adjusting brakes.

I can see no evidence of a system on these late brakes that would result in automatic adjustment.

These rear late-version brakes appear much like the early version, except for the large, silver hex head on the shoe body. The function of that escapes me. Still, there is the square-headed adjuster that allows a crude sort of adjustment periodically, via rotation from flat spot to flat spot while the tapered plunger gradually separates the shoes a little, taking up for wear.

The late model front brakes have their two cylinders located fore and aft, whereas the early are top and bottom. There is a rotating pin that goes through the "tang" at the back of the cylinders which rotates a sort of scroll-shaped expander when the rectangular tang on the head of the pin is rotated. It is kept from rotating on its own by a little gear under the nut that is gripped by a sort of "C" shaped circlip. I see this assembly as just being a different sort of manual adjuster.

Can anyone explain where the idea of auto-adjusting 102 brakes came from, and how they might work if they actually do? Also, what do those bloody big hex-headed things do, assuming they do anything? Maybe one removes them to make brake shoe assembly easier?
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #104 of 1042 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:13 AM

Hex Heads, purpose... with a stationary lug wrench you could theoretical put a moment on the hex thus turning the brake shoe in the direction increasing the spring tension to release the shoe that is otherwise pried on in cars like Giuliettas with a large lever. At least that is what my theory is. A shop manual would probably confirm this with photos as typical for Alfa.
post #105 of 1042 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
My aging memory recalls seeing a brake manual for the second-gen brakes. I think it was part of a 2000 Sprint supplement, but I've not found anything that matches this memory.

The problem with your theory is that the hex-head thingos rotate if you turn on them with a wrench.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode