May the circle remain unbroken - 10204 01488 - Page 61 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #901 of 1041 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
PS - I don't like my impulse choice of license plate. I'm going to change it. Leading choice at the moment is "Tango". Open to others. "PU$$Y"?
Well done Don, the car looks beautiful; how about BELLA! (Beautiful in Italian)

Road and Track did an article years ago on prestige license plates. One of my favorites was "IXLR8". An other favorite was a tag from a urologist's car "CME2P".

An old training buddy of mine and I discussed prestige plates many years ago. I commented it would be neat to have an 'Ironman' plate but the state only allowed 6 digits or spaces at that time. Next, I said it would be cool if they allowed lower case letters, so you could use the chemical symbol for iron -FeMan. Well using my idea, he ordered the state allowed 'FEMAN' plate . I laughed every time I saw that plate on his car; thinking people probably thought he was a cross dresser or something. Well the joke is on me. He currently holds the record for the most 'age group wins' in the Ironman Triathlon World Championship! He has done 15 of these races.

https://fernandinaobserver.com/uncat...ssful-journey/

Sadly, I just learned of my friends passing this April when Googling this article...RIP Dr. Bruce
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1041 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubut View Post
Congrats, Don -- both the quality and quickness of you getting this car back on the road is quite remarkable!!!
THank you Ruedi.

Iím actually kind of baffled. At this moment there are only a few tiny details to be truly complete. Ashtray, soft top, smooth a few wrinkles in the leather, front license plate bracket, shift lever gaiter.

2018 was spent getting the body done, and overhauling and prepping subassemblies. I began the final assembly in December 2018.

At this moment, roughly seven months later, it does not feel like there has been nearly enough time to assemble an entire car, including the numerous reworks to get things really, really right. Iíve not been putting in ten hour days, so how did I get this far, this quickly?

But, here we are.

On to the remaining tiny details.
horsewidower likes this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #903 of 1041 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Well, it’s said that if an engine overhaul is going to go wrong, it’ll happen in the first few miles.

Yesterday evening, after changing the oil and tightening the head nuts, we took a quick test drive. Accelerating up the highway entrance ramp it suddenly went flat and wouldn’t rev past 5,000 RPM. Plus, “taptaptaptap”.

Dang.

Limped home. No external distress, and cam lobes look ok. Pressures and temps were ok.

We’ll have the power unit out on Tuesday, and my other ready spare in on Thursday.

Dang.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 1041 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:26 AM

Might as well put a stethoscope to it..don't you think? Really sorry for the set back. sounds like a stuck valve you might see in the plug hole.. bound up spring ?/ blah blah .. I'd want to go there before I shelved it.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 07-15-2019 at 06:33 AM.
post #905 of 1041 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:54 AM

Oh **** !
No wather in oil, no oil in wather ?
Did you yet measure the valve clearance ?
Did you measure the compression into each cylinder ?
post #906 of 1041 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The failure occurred yesterday evening just before sunset. We removed the cam covers, and saw nothing. The engine was warm, so I just called it a day and poured a good glass of Barbera.

I have commitments today, but son will arrive early tomorrow, and we’ll do a few quick checks before committing to pull the engine. He thinks it’s bottom end, but I think it’s top. Either way, it’s so easy to pull the engine and trans, we’ll probably have them on the stand by noon.

Shouldn’t hold me up from making Concorso. Just aggravating.

It idles perfectly without bad sounds. Revving through about 2,000 the tapping starts. It has the classic “rapraprap” of a failed rod bearing, but I’ve got other suspicions.

Watch this space.

First overhaul failure I’ve had since 1989, when a French aircraft engine twisted off a fuel pump drive tang because US gasket paper was .001” thinner than the French metric gasket paper it replaced.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #907 of 1041 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 AM

Bloody French !
Nonyorrick likes this.
post #908 of 1041 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS70 View Post
Bloody French !
And all that on quatorze juillet!

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #909 of 1041 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:09 AM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Don, check that the dizzy hasn't shifted before you strip the motor down... It could give you the same symptoms and is far cheaper to check than the alternative

Aye
Greig

Some 750's
Some 101's
Some 105's
Some others
post #910 of 1041 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
We’ll be looking at everything.

My first thought with your dizzy suggestion was “huh?,”. But, then I thought some more.

It certainly sounds like a whacking-on-metal failure of some sort. Piston pin? Anyway, there was a sudden power loss, and the noise isn’t there until some revs come on. Dizzy timing slip will get a check.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #911 of 1041 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:47 PM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Yup, checking timing & verifying TDC & dizzy firing time costs nuthin' and only takes a few minutes - basics, always back to basics

Decades ago I overhauled the Webers on my student GT 1300 Junior, popped them back on and it wouldn't start...off again, stripped, rebuilt, back on... no start.... off a third time -> what have I done wrong ?? Got gas, got spark....yup got gas & got spark

If you've ever done carbs on a 1300 with the shortest block of the Nords, everything is really close to the inner wing and a bear to work on. Pushed it out the drive, tried a bump start down the road... walked home, fetched Dad & a tow rope... back home he left me to push it up the drive. when I finally got it into the carport he met me at the garage door with a grin and said "does this go anywhere ?" holding the rotor in his hand. Aaaarg, I'd taken it out to give more clearance to my right elbow when wrenching the nuts under the plenum & the manifold & I'd checked the spark by flicking the lead from the coil against it's spade terminal on the dizzy instead of checking at the plugs - too lazy. Popped it back in, touched the key & vroom... lesson learned !!

If the timing is right, the do the plug lead test by pulling alternate leads until the hammering changes - that's the offending cylinder

Holding thumbs that it's a simple fix

Aye
Greig
ballough510 and xalfaracer like this.

Some 750's
Some 101's
Some 105's
Some others
post #912 of 1041 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:22 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quickly draining the oil will tell you if there is anything serious going on in the bottom end. Or even just take the plug out, jamb your thumb in the hole and see if there is stuff on the magnet. Small end bearing, you would have to see if there is any bronze in the drain pan if they have bronze small end bearings.... Hope it's something simple.

Carson, 4 Alfa's, 9 Cars, 4 Motorcycles
post #913 of 1041 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:34 PM

If it were my problem I would try to isolate the cylinder by removing the spark and noting any change in the tap.
Old school trick. Just keep the leads loose and when she starts to rattle remove the spark. It should (the noise) change with
out ignition.
RML
post #914 of 1041 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
When I drained the oil, which had maybe 10 miles on it, the magnet had a fair amount of fuzz, and the oil was dark. Neither should have happened in 10 miles.

It’ll be an entertaining couple of days.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #915 of 1041 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Failure

Spun the #4 rod bearing.

I can still clearly see where the machine shop removed the galley plugs and replaced them after rodding.

Although I drove the engine just a few miles, I was noticing the oil pressure being lower than I like, although the temps were right in the middle.

Good news - the pistons and cylinder head are perfect. So... We'll transfer the head to the ready-spare engine, rather than swapping cams, manifold, etc and having to re-shim everything. We will, of course, clean the head in case any of the shavings from the spun bearing made it through the filter and into the rest of the engine.

I mispoke in an earlier post. My last rebuild failure was when the 2300 wiped out two pistons due to the rear carburetor having a leaky float and flooding the rear two cylinders. The carbs were freshly rebuilt from Alfa1750 in Europe, whose sole response was to send me a fresh float.

Anyway...

Fingers crossed that engine #2 won't have anything tragically wrong. Both engines got new everything. In this case, I'm wondering if it was the oil pump, or a bearing shell not up to snuff. The latter is unlikely. I bought bearings for both engines from OKP. Not cheap.
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode