May the circle remain unbroken - 10204 01488 - Page 58 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 250Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #856 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 01:52 PM

Hi Don,

Not a fuse for the wiper motor but perhaps a switch?
The 102 parts catalog from 1960 shows a thermic switch ( Alfa nr 1495.80.707) for the Lucas wiper. It is the same switch as for the Giuliettas and 2600 Alfas that had the Lucas wiper motor.
You're correct, it is not on the 102 wiring diagrams, so maybe early cars didn't have the switch, the 12 V came then directly from the fuse box. Alfa probably added the switch later but didn’t make a new wire diagram for the instruction books. ( just my opinion)
First picture is from the 102 catalog 1495.80.707 explained as being a ‘thermal switch’.
Second picture shows the definition of 1495.80.707 in a Giulietta catalog .

Thierry
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #857 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The 2000 wiper motor has a built in thermal switch. The rebuilder, who’s every note describes his length of experience, told me he disabled the thermal switch in his rebuilds because they cause problems.

I won’t be boring holes in the dash for switches that don’t belong there. I’ll eventually get it right, possibly with a different rebuilder.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #858 of 1042 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
A quickie...

Got the surprise short in the fuel gauge sorted. I don't know what I did. Took it all apart (not the gauge itself) and put it all back together, and now it works fine. It was blowing the instrument light fuse, which also shuts down the generator. Fingers crossed it was just a loose wire finger somewhere making an intermittent, and self-destroying short.

Wiper motor should arrive, again, today. Rebuilder no longer making aggressive comments. I described my diagnosis to him and he went quiet. Due to deleting the thermal breaker in the motor, I had zero protection against a short. The first rebuild he provided had a pinched wire inside, creating a short that drained my battery, and heated up the guts of the motor for the two days it took to drain the battery. This heat did damage to the internal windings, so although he repaired the pinched wire, the windings were now not only cooked, they were making a short to the motor case. Apparently, he never checks for a short to the case, and expressed surprise that Alfa runs these motor via unswitched AND unfused power. I think I'm lucky my car didn't burn down.

Paid a visit to Larry and picked up a few bits I might need someday, including another wiper motor. Apparently I don't get a discount over there, but I'm far happier that his business thrives than I get a few points shaved. I also picked up a couple of seat pans, so when I finish the seat back frames I'll have at least one complete, and restored, set of seats for a 102, plus a pair of seat backs for Jay that have the shoulder harness guide option built into them. I can still increase the build quantity for new seat backs if you speak up quickly.

Got the freshly chromed and rebuilt shift lever from Larry, and installed it. Now that's all buttoned up, except I don't like the carpet piece from WULPH, so will have someone make a custom piece that fits better.

Engine still runs well, but needs to be fully warm to be happy during initial acceleration. The 2300 is happy from start up, so I may investigate enrichening the idle jets a step and see what happens.

Having problems with upholsterer, so will be meeting with a back up on Thursday. As Hot August Nights is rapidly approaching, they're all maxed out. I like Johnny, but I'm not very happy with him right now. I've already got a date booked with Alex, who did the top on 00072, for three weeks from now. I may end up having to redo some, or much, of the rear surround. Some wrinkles that may or may not come out in the sun. Plus, some rough edge finishing on the top bolster. I still think I'll make it to Concorso, but will have some rework before I can offer it to the next custodian.

Planning on taking the car back to Kelly on Friday for the final exterior touch up.
PSk and horsewidower like this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #859 of 1042 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
A very good day, yesterday.

Picked up freshly powder coated seat back frame, and took the whole pile to Terry, at Classic Restorations. At this point, it feels like I’ve met a new best friend. There’s a possibility that he’s the guy that actually did the interior on 00072, as a subcontractor to BT that I hired to do the work. I saw his work, and have a sense of confidence in both his timeliness and quality.

Meanwhile, I stopped by Johnny’s, and he’s got the door cards and upper bolster done, except for the welting. I expect to pick them up today.

Wiper motor bench tested, and re-re-re-installed. Working fine. I picked up a 15 amp circuit breaker to protect that circuit. It’ll be hidden under the dash. Also, motor rebuilder, in a moment of humility, has agreed to rebuild for free a wiper motor core that I picked up at Larry’s. I countered that all I want is a discount for my freight costs and hassle. He’ll include the internal thermal breaker on this rebuild.

Car going back to Kelly today for final paint detailing.

Home stretch....
horsewidower, PS70 and JJr like this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #860 of 1042 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:30 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Good stuff
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #861 of 1042 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Terry says seats to be done by end of next week.
Kelly says detailing to be done by 27th.
Enclosed hauler quote in hand. Need to call to confirm.
Picked up finished door cards.
Need to check with Art Brass to find out status of front bumpers. They had to rework.
Need to order a few Weber jets I might need to speed up tuning.

The list is getting very short.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #862 of 1042 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:32 PM

Robbins Convertible Top

Don,

Went to my local top installer on Friday to inquire about getting a top installed on my 2600. Told him that folks on the ABB generally thought Robbins tops were the best for this car and I wanted one with a headliner. He checked around and said when he talked to Robbins and EZON they didn't have one with a headliner. Said he finally found that Electron Top had one with a headliner. I told him I'd check things out and get back with him. Called Electron and asked them about the liner and the guy I talked to said their top didn't have a liner (contrary to what their catalog says) and gave me Centrline Alfa's number. I then called World Upholstery since they showed a top for a 2600 on their website (thought they quit making them). The lady there said she'd worked with a guy recently on a top for a 2600 and after checking around they found that the liner was attached to the top on the replacement tops for these cars so they don't really have a headliner in the normal sense.

So, since you are the most recent buyer of a top from Robbins for Touring Spiders, I wondered if you could shed any light on what the top lining issue and send me a picture of the inside or your 2000 top. I know that extrapolating from a 2000 to a 2600 is a very dangerous thing to do, but seems to be the best place to start.

Dave

post #863 of 1042 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Brought the car back from Kelly's today. He spent about 3 hours polishing today. All very nice. Time to finish up.

Played awhile with the trunk emblems. Need different push-on nuts for the Alfa Romeo script. Got the license plate bracket and first-sale dealer insignia in place.

Horsed around with passenger door card and top until I grew weary. I'll finish that tomorrow.
Attached Images

JJr likes this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #864 of 1042 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Sorry for no reply. Didn't notice your post.

My top doesn't have what I would call a "headliner". There may be two layers to the top, but when I think of the term "headliner" I think of a layer that is on the inside of the steel bows, hiding them from view. No idea if a 2600 had these. All my rides in the big truck were with the top down.

My operating car has a black inside layer. Whether that is doubled with an outer layer, I'm not sure, but I don't think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsdf View Post
Don,

Went to my local top installer on Friday to inquire about getting a top installed on my 2600. Told him that folks on the ABB generally thought Robbins tops were the best for this car and I wanted one with a headliner. He checked around and said when he talked to Robbins and EZON they didn't have one with a headliner. Said he finally found that Electron Top had one with a headliner. I told him I'd check things out and get back with him. Called Electron and asked them about the liner and the guy I talked to said their top didn't have a liner (contrary to what their catalog says) and gave me Centrline Alfa's number. I then called World Upholstery since they showed a top for a 2600 on their website (thought they quit making them). The lady there said she'd worked with a guy recently on a top for a 2600 and after checking around they found that the liner was attached to the top on the replacement tops for these cars so they don't really have a headliner in the normal sense.

So, since you are the most recent buyer of a top from Robbins for Touring Spiders, I wondered if you could shed any light on what the top lining issue and send me a picture of the inside or your 2000 top. I know that extrapolating from a 2000 to a 2600 is a very dangerous thing to do, but seems to be the best place to start.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #865 of 1042 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:13 AM

Garage
Well done Don,

The Touring looks stupendous! I can't wait to see some overall side view shots showing the Borrani wheels and knock-offs in a proper setting. It looks beautiful...

Mark
post #866 of 1042 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:01 AM

Thanks Don, for continuing to post your progress. Marvelous!
Larry Bono

1962 Alfa 2600 Spider, bought in 1970, sold in 2016.
1969 Porsche 912 Coupe owned since new.
post #867 of 1042 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:39 AM

Hi Don,

What a fine car, and especially the 'John Lins emblem' from Antwerp got my attention. That dealer was about 15 km from where I live. He was in fact the main dealer for Triumph and Standard for Antwerp back in the time, but did also sell Alfas.
Some 20 years ago, I bought from them a left over part , a NOS hard top for a 2000 (or 2600?) that someone had ordered and never had collected, it went to the Netherlands afterwards. ( maybe it could have been ordered for your car , who knows ?)
I know this all is just a little story but for me... what a coïnsidence!

Congratulations with the restauration of that car!

Thierry
IRONBLOCK likes this.
post #868 of 1042 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:54 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Like a brand new car!

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #869 of 1042 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:24 PM

I would venture to say that this car is better than brand new. What a wonderful journey. Thanks for taking us along to see everything that you put into the car. What an education for me!
post #870 of 1042 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora1978 View Post
I would venture to say that this car is better than brand new. What a wonderful journey. Thanks for taking us along to see everything that you put into the car. What an education for me!
I wasn't in the market when this car was built, being nine years old at the time, so don’t know what “new” looks like. I was far more interested in my baseball card collection, having just received my autographed Bob Feller (plus signed black and white photo), and an autographed card from Ty Cobb (no photo, the cheap bastard). The latter was carried in my breast pocket until it got washed into paper mache. Wonder if the car or card would fetch more at a sale today?

When you restore one from the guts out, you’ll always know of the decisions made along the way that aren’t truly “as new”. Still, so long as structure isn’t compromised, or horrors that are just wrong, I reckon it’ll do.

Definitely NOT happy with aftermarket trim fabricators right now.
horsewidower likes this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode