May the circle remain unbroken - 10204 01488 - Page 57 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 250Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #841 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Pete,

The design of a seat belt system takes in a wide range of factors. I won’t go into all of the subject here. Suffice to say that few, if any, seat backs are designed to take the force from a shoulder strap in an accident.

What I believe Jay is requesting is simply a guide to hold a shoulder strap more or less in the right position over the shoulder. If a correct configuration is possible in a 10204, the end of the strap would be afixed slightly above and behind the shoulder. The restraining force would be absorbed by the structure usually called the B-pillar. I would not recommend having the shoulder harness just looping over the shoulder and bolted to the floor.

It is possible a compromise can be found by attaching the strap to the structure just behind and slightly below the shoulder, then held in place by a non-structural loop on top of the seat.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...

Last edited by DPeterson3; 05-15-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:53 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Ah, yes I may have miss understood
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #843 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:21 AM

Don, I hope to use the belts from the rear seats of a 164 sedan which have a "flat" location for the belt storage, placing them on the spider's rear seat location. I need the edges on the seats so the belts don't get lost somewhere as they go over the seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Got the re-rebuilt wiper motor back. In the end, it had TWO failures inside.

Don’t you hate it when a vendor gives a speech about how they’ve got thirty years of experience, so their work certainly couldn’t be at fault? After getting the motor back, his tone softened considerably.

It’s now reinstalled and works great. I just need to get the glove box reinstalled, and I’ll be back to where I was before the smoke came out of the Lucas motor. We all know that’s the Lucas secret ingredient. If it leaks out, problems start.

Awaiting quote on a production run of seat backs. If you need one or more, this would be a good time to speak up.

Just figured out that the extra holes at the bottom rear of the trunk lid must have been for some sort of Euro license plate holder. This project didn’t come with any identifiable holder I recognized, so I duplicated the USA version on 00072 and took it to the chromer yesterday.

Getting back on track.
horsewidower, deepblue and PS70 like this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #845 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:04 PM
Gold Subscriber

Don, did you see that APE just got two 102 parts cars - maybe seats?

Neil
1958 Touring Spider in restoration
1963 Giulia Spider "slightly" abnormale
1967 Giulia Sprint GT (aka Stepnose) with 3.0 V6 and a/c
Now full time in Magalia CA.
post #846 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Martin View Post
Don, did you see that APE just got two 102 parts cars - maybe seats?
Iíve spoken with Larry. Waiting on an answer.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #847 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Lucas vacuum cleaner. The only thing they made that didn't suck

Got the re-rebuilt wiper motor installed. Before back-filling everything else (glove box, wiper switch, blades, etc), I tested it's operation. Seemed fine. So, I spent the hour or so getting everything closed up.

Then, I ran the wipers WITH the blades. Dang. Slow works fine. Fast, not so much. Youtube attached here.

So, I checked the impedance on the green wire at the fuse box, and it shows a 20 ohm short to ground. Email and video sent to rebuilder in Delaware. It'll be interesting to see how responsive he is tomorrow.

Started car today, and it behaved as though one of the carbs was flooded. It eventually cleared, but looks like I need to check the float/needle-seat operation.

Hope to have a lot of things back on track this week, although the wiper motor gives me a sense of grim foreboding.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #848 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:10 AM

Garage
Whenever I test windshield wiper motors or wiper blades, I always like to spray some sort of lubricant on the windshield. Usually Windex is the closest spray bottle to the car, so I use it but I suspect water would work as well. Perhaps there is too much resistance on a dry windshield for the wiper motor to make the 'jump' to high speed with a new brushes.

I don't know how it could have a short to ground but you might inspect the wires, wiper switch and the inline fuse that is somewhere under the dash to the left of the steering column.

It is rare that I take an old Alfa out if it even looks like it might rain...I know you want the wipers to work but I hope you never have to use them.

Mark
post #849 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Mark,

No fuse on my car, or shown in the schematic.

This motor, before it’s last failure, kicked straight into both speeds with a dry windshield. It’s worth noting that an electric motor creates its greatest torque immediately upon being turned on. It doesn’t “kick into” a speed after starting.

My suspicion is that the high-speed winding is shorting to the case, resulting in less overall torque and the drain-to-ground. It really ruined my mood yesterday.

This morning I’ll go unplug all of the motor leads to isolate it from the switch, and see if the short remains. Always possible it’s the switch.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #850 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Just did the "bench check" supplied by the remanufacturer of the wiper motor. Fail. I just sent my second email letting him know. Fingers crossed.

In the bench check (which was done in the car) I disconnected all of the harness wires from the motor, except the green which carries the B+ power. The guidance from the rebuilder was to jumper the white and blue together. Then, jumper the red and brown together, and the pair to ground. This should give low speed. However, in my case, the motor started up as soon as I jumpered the red and brown, and before connecting to ground. Thus, there is some sort of internal ground being made in the motor. For high speed, I was to jumper Red and Yellow, then to ground. Nothing I could do would get high speed to start.

They're not answering their phones, nor responding to emails. At least not promptly.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Last edited by DPeterson3; 05-20-2019 at 10:50 AM.
post #851 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
two forward, one back

I got the wiper motor off to the rebuilder again. Third time charm? The bummer is he's one of those old-school guys that pretty much assumes it's always the customer's fault. I don't know how you fabricate a short from B+ in to ground. Fingers crossed he doesn't dig in and refuse to take care of things. I can always get my money back, but where do I get another wiper motor? Larry? Yeah. Larry.

But, on the brighter side...

I picked up the rear seat back and sides yesterday, and we got them in place today. Not too much fiddling. There's no question these were not originally fitted to this car, supporting the custom-interior and original yellow paint. Son came over to supply pressure to get those short little studs to poke through so I could nut them up. With some wiggling, everything finally fell into place. A couple of minor wrinkles, but we'll see how that looks after a few hours in the Nevada sun.

Got the top frame in place. This was one of the first things I cleaned up, powder coated, and hung up for later. Probably a year ago, or slightly more. I've already got the Robbins top, so will get it over to Alex to have that installed before too long.
Attached Images

PSk and horsewidower like this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #852 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
,#$&**@,,,%&$##!!!

Making super progress, in the middle of an engine run with the new plenum and air cleaner, when WHAM, generator light comes on and anything powered by the lighting circuit goes off.

After much crawling around under the dash, Iíve isolated it to the fuel level circuit. Thatís when I called it a day. The end of the red wire at the gauge looks like it got hot. More work next week when I get back. Headed to Sac for a bridge tournament. 2:45 drive or 38 minute flight.

Hereís pics of new air filter and installation.

I will probably put a larger washer on the bottom of the filter to reduce the chances of losing it. This filter requires no retaining plate for the high-flow-bottom-plate-removal mod.
Attached Images

horsewidower likes this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Last edited by DPeterson3; 05-28-2019 at 06:45 PM.
post #853 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
No fuse on my car, or shown in the schematic.
Don, you are right, I checked two schematics that I have and neither one showed the sort of large (1.5"x 1"x 0.25") black two bladed, slow blow type in-line fuse holder on a green wire behind the dash to the left of the tachometer. It's been well over 20 years but I remember reading about it in one of the "Alpha Plus" newsletters. I went out to the garage and found the fuse they described on 1844. I removed the fuse from the holder, cleaned the contacts and at once had working wipers that I never used again. I'll check 310 for this fuse, not that it is likely causing your short but it might protect your motor from self destruction, if the fuse in the fuse block doesn't already do that.

Nice find on the Baldwin filter! Maybe a Nylock nut on the bottom with the large washer would hold it in place.

Are you using 40 or 45 DCOE's carburetors? If 40 DCOE's, it'll be interesting to see what jets you settle on.

Mark
post #854 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:46 PM

Hello Don,

This filter is just perfect without no retaining plate.
I agree, a bigger washer will be better.
post #855 of 1042 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:50 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
BTW Don, any English car I've ever owned with assumed Lucas powered (lol) wipers would never generate enough torque to be tested on a dry windscreen. You are asking for clouds of that unique Lucas smoke to start billowing IMO. Heck I had to stop my Mini once in a typical New Zealand shower because the wipers could not do the job, and I was in my early 20's so fill of bravado and stupidity, and my eyesight is good.

While I admire (seriously) your restorations, if the wiper motor is hidden or can have modern NON-Lucas internals (thinking Toyota based) stealthy installed inside, that is what I would do. If not the power wire too the motor needs to have a fuse added so the Lucas devil does not keep melting it.
Pete
IRONBLOCK likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode