May the circle remain unbroken - 10204 01488 - Page 56 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 208Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #826 of 914 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
What a bummer of a day...

What appeared to be a magically good wiper motor and system, has just gotten worse and worse. At this point, the motor seems completely dead. But, maybe it's my switch? I can't find any schematic for which color wires connect to which other color wires to turn on hi/low/return-park, so can't be sure if its the fresh motor or my old switch that died. Everything worked great, but something was dropping current to ground.

Jay suggested I switch the two wires on the foot pump. I've pulled the foot pump/switch out, and checked every variation of connection. As near as I can tell, it's a switch. Neither connector is also connected to ground. Plus, if the red wire were somehow dumping to ground causing the current drain, it would also trigger the motor to run. Red Herring, I think.

When I finally got to the head-exploding point, I shifted to the driver's door window installation. Made good progress. The felt sliders are glued into their guides, and should be ready to install tomorrow. Also did some research on shifting away from AN fittings back to the original hot-water manifold for the front of the engine. I think that'll look nice.
deepblue likes this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #827 of 914 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:24 PM

Sometimes just when your head is going to explode, new possibilities emerge. Not FUBAR just a SNAFU.

DJ
post #828 of 914 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Check, check

Did the prescribe “bench check” on the wiper motor. Going back for rework. Getting it out won’t be fun.

Did the mod on the heater-water feed tube. First OE piece I’ve cut to make work. Feels sort of “Blue Velvet-ish”. Here’s the trans picks. In a day or two I’ll have the final installation photos.
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #829 of 914 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:47 AM

Since the 102 crowd might not have enough input from a limited population, you might find this applicable to your car.... it's all electrons chasing electrons in the end and they don't identify with what car it is in. FYI, + or - ground could matter though, as I recall.

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giu...io-wipers.html

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giu...tor-folly.html

Sorry if this adds more confusion to the mix. I hope not.

I do know the floor switches are very finicky by the way they are constructed so don't rule out it could be the core of the problem.. The dash switch not so much. ON or OFF

Last edited by divotandtralee; 05-06-2019 at 05:03 AM.
post #830 of 914 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Two steps forward...

We got the tank sealed, tested, and installed. Heater water manifold modified, repowdered, installed, and tested. Wiper motor out, diagnosed, and returned to rebuilder for rework.

Seat back received from Jay. Now to make a jig to build up some new seat backs.

Got left window regulator fully installed, lubricated, andready. Guides have their felt installed, and are ready to go into the door.

Need to find a better air filter element. The one from CA won’t do.

Johnny has started on the rear seat surround.
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #831 of 914 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:30 AM

Baldwin Filter has a great website to help size what you want.......You plug in the dimensions and they come up with a solution. Baldwin Filters E-Catalog

You might have to double up on the cartridge to get the fit. That's what AR did on Spica Spiders. You can also use foam gaskets to make up for variances. I've never had to do that. The Giulietta Normale is on the shelf and fits perfectly out of the box, just as an example. You would never find it searching by application ( AR Giulietta) on their website but you can by dimensions.
deepblue likes this.
post #832 of 914 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:23 PM

Garage
Bottom breather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
Need to find a better air filter element.
You are making great progress on the Touring Roadster! I have purchased two of these modern foam air filters from C.I. for my air filter canisters and they fit and work pretty well -even better with the modification you suggested to the air filter canister bottom. The filter comes with a can of spray oil that you treat the foam with.

https://www.centerlinealfa.com/catal...750-101-veloce

Name:  Air Filter Canister Two-Liter Mod.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  242.0 KB

Also, if anyone needs one or two of these veloce air hoses, I still have a few in-stock...

https://www.centerlinealfa.com/catal...ke-hose-veloce

$85 delivered in the contiguous 48 states or $85+actual shipping overseas. They fit the Veloce, the 102 Berlina or the elbow can be cut off to fit the Touring Roadster. Send a PM if interested.

Name:  750 102 air duct main.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  142.1 KB
Name:  IMG_2162.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  169.8 KB

Mark
post #833 of 914 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
Baldwin Filter has a great website to help size what you want.......You plug in the dimensions and they come up with a solution. Baldwin Filters E-Catalog

You might have to double up on the cartridge to get the fit. That's what AR did on Spica Spiders. You can also use foam gaskets to make up for variances. I've never had to do that. The Giulietta Normale is on the shelf and fits perfectly out of the box, just as an example. You would never find it searching by application ( AR Giulietta) on their website but you can by dimensions.
I just spent 20 minutes looking, and could find no size chartson the Baldwin site.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #834 of 914 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Seat backs

First step. Build an assembly jig. After this is done (more to do, yet), build bending jigs. Order some 4130. Dust off my oxycet skills.

What could possibly go wrong?
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #835 of 914 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:16 PM

Garage
Don, I have a hunch that there's so much to be learned from rebuilding the seat frames (or seat back) that the topic deserves a separate thread that may become sticky at some point in the future.
deepblue likes this.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #836 of 914 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
I just spent 20 minutes looking, and could find no size chartson the Baldwin site.
You have to select "catalog Information" TAB then Size chart at bottom of drop down menu

Then select metric or Inches then .....

As an Example -- I loaded (mm's) Length 310 O.D 113 I.D. 87 and selected ROUND and then checked +/- 1.0 and came up with 24 choices with dimensions and applications and PHOTOS of the filter.. Some are for tractors .. compressors .. oil field rigs.. etc. but they might be your oyster.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 05-11-2019 at 06:39 AM.
post #837 of 914 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
In addition to the seat back going missing, and my nicely rebuilt wiper motor taking a crap, I discovered that the driver's side glass had acquired some pits and checks from just sitting on my workbench. Grrrr.

Glass company says they'll have a new one for me by Friday. Yeah. Right.
Wiper motor company promised to ship the repaired motor this past Monday, but just called this morning to confirm my address. Which was written on the label when I returned it to them. Motor needed by day after tomorrow to meet some other deadlines.
Seat back now at a local fabricator for a quote on making several Posted under a separate thread.

Oh - when son was refueling freshly sealed-up tank, he didn't notice a rubber cap was on the fuel spigot, and so deposited that into the tank. Haven't been able to find it via the filler or sender ports, so tank will be coming off again later today.

And grandson thought it would be funny to place a dead bird into his girlfriend's backpack. His two-day in-school suspension ended yesterday, but he's still restricted to base around here.

Upholsterer has now missed about his fourth "I'll have it done by Monday" promises. Too late to find another one I trust, so I'm resorting to taking him cases of beer as a bribe to get moving.

I picked a bad week to stop drinking. Again.
horsewidower likes this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #838 of 914 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:06 AM
Gold Subscriber

And here I was about to stop drinking for a week. Lesson learned.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
post #839 of 914 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:31 AM

How about a bolt on piece on seat back for 3 way belt?

Don, I am frustrated in trying to do a three point seat belt on my spider. While you are making a new back for yourself (and dozens to sell others, I suspect), how about making some piece that could be screwed onto the top outer side like the piece that comes on the seat backs pf later spiders with three point? That way we who want three point belts could drill holes and screw them on and the belt over shoulder would not slip off. You are the inventive one. I know you can do it. Of course it has to be something that can be added after the upholstery is on.
post #840 of 914 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:32 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoliterlover View Post
Don, I am frustrated in trying to do a three point seat belt on my spider. While you are making a new back for yourself (and dozens to sell others, I suspect), how about making some piece that could be screwed onto the top outer side like the piece that comes on the seat backs pf later spiders with three point? That way we who want three point belts could drill holes and screw them on and the belt over shoulder would not slip off. You are the inventive one. I know you can do it. Of course it has to be something that can be added after the upholstery is on.
While a good idea, that seat frame has not been designed for the load you are about to put on it (when in an accident) and the seat will just fold forward. Result is you might have well just been wearing a lap belt.

At least if bolted to the B pillar it should be strong(er)
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode