May the circle remain unbroken - 10204 01488 - Page 35 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 250Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #511 of 1042 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
You will not get away with ignoring her.
Ya, that is probably where I went wrong -well that and her boyfriend.

I used to get a kick out of telling the ladies in our Divorce Care group that I had four Italian mistresses and an addiction to bass.

All their ears would perk up; it was a good ice breaker when dealing with a tough subject. Then I'd explain that was 'bass fishing' and Italian sports cars...

Small taps are the worst!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 1042 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS70 View Post
Thank you Don for your picture with the relays.
According to the picture I guess that you have only one relay to power both sides : I'm right ?
I used one relay per high and low. An H4 pulls about 6 amps on high beam, and about 5.5 on low. I bought a bunch of Bosch 30 amp relays several years ago, along with matching sockets that I forgot to use. Anyway, thatís a 150% overhead on the load, so using one for high and another for low seems adequate.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #513 of 1042 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbo48 View Post
Boy! I am learning a lot more from this thread than I expected. Unfortunately, I am about 50 years too old to benefit.
Larry Bono
Larry...

It seems to me that denial is the best attitude to use when confronting the onset of old age.

When I was 27 I was suddenly confronted with a dilemma. Young women, Italian sports cars, and airplanes. As stupid as I was, I recognized that $18k/yr would cover, at best, only two. Thatís when I sold my first 10204, and watched it drive off into an Indiana blizzard in January, heading to New Jersey.

I later discovered not very many cute, young women like flying.

Thereís a moral in there somewhere.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 1042 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Futzing

Some check point progress.

Although my original wiper motor worked, it tended toward intermittent operation (one of the standard Lucas operational modes), and all of the cloth wires were tired and fraying. So, I found a fellow in Delaware that rebuilds them, and had one in stock. It arrived shortly, and worked great! Except no parking function. After some futzing around, I determined that the internal park-set switch had corroded contacts (another Lucas feature). A little emory paper, and all was good. Now fully installed, and tested. Works so well, I may send the motor from 00072 out for a makeover.

I remain staggeringly pleased with Art Brass Plating. All of the chrome and polishing is totally first rate. Not cheap, but very much what I was hoping for. There IS a difference.

I’m futzing with the rear cross member carpet. Hard to get a perfect lay-down over and around the hump in the middle. I know it can be done, so I’ll get there. It’s a little different with the dynomat in place, but so far so good.

I’m expecting the driving experience to be less raw and rattly than 00072, with its lack of deadening, one less resonator, and high revving nature. 1488 is getting the same cams, so maybe it’ll be civilized, with an edge. I’m hoping one or more of you guys will help arrange for us to drive each others’ cars. I’d very much enjoy a real-world, side-by-side comparison. Maybe a driver’s review article will result? At, before, or after Concorso next year?

Anyone have a dead trunk lock that I can scavenge the lock “tumblers” out of?

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #515 of 1042 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 12:38 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Larry...

It seems to me that denial is the best attitude to use when confronting the onset of old age.

When I was 27 I was suddenly confronted with a dilemma. Young women, Italian sports cars, and airplanes. As stupid as I was, I recognized that $18k/yr would cover, at best, only two. Thatís when I sold my first 10204, and watched it drive off into an Indiana blizzard in January, heading to New Jersey.

I later discovered not very many cute, young women like flying.

Thereís a moral in there somewhere.
I'm pleased to report I understand this one

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #516 of 1042 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I used one relay per high and low. An H4 pulls about 6 amps on high beam, and about 5.5 on low. I bought a bunch of Bosch 30 amp relays several years ago, along with matching sockets that I forgot to use. Anyway, thatís a 150% overhead on the load, so using one for high and another for low seems adequate.
That is the way I wired my 2600, plus another relay for the fog lights. I did not drive much at night but, at the modest speeds I was driving, I thought the lights were very good.
Larry Bono

1962 Alfa 2600 Spider, bought in 1970, sold in 2016.
1969 Porsche 912 Coupe owned since new.
post #517 of 1042 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbo48 View Post
That is the way I wired my 2600, plus another relay for the fog lights. I did not drive much at night but, at the modest speeds I was driving, I thought the lights were very good.
Larry Bono
It didnít occur to me to boost the fog lights. I havenít checked the current draw on those, but now that youíve brought it up, I may check.

Meanwhile, the accumulated erosion of any such switch is a combination of current and quantity of use. The fog lights get used mainly when dramatic, late afternoon, high saturation photos are to be taken.

But, in for a pennny....

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #518 of 1042 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Just received two Bose “Soundlnk” Bluetooth speakers, as a Xmas present to myself. About 4” square and 1 1/2” thick. Now sitting in my two bedside, tall, narrow bookcases, being tested by playing King Crimson’s “21st Century schizoid man” from their 2017 live album “Meltdown”, recorded in Mexico City of that year.

19 thumbs up, both speakers and recording.

Just in case you wanted to know.
horsewidower likes this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #519 of 1042 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:37 PM
Gold Subscriber

I've asked for Bluetooth speakers for Christmas, we'll see what is procured.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #520 of 1042 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:40 PM
Gold Subscriber

Don

Santa is not done with you yet. The pride of Texas is coming your way....

Neil
1958 Touring Spider in restoration
1963 Giulia Spider "slightly" abnormale
1967 Giulia Sprint GT (aka Stepnose) with 3.0 V6 and a/c
Now full time in Magalia CA.
post #521 of 1042 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Martin View Post
Don

I take the pride of Texas with me wherever I go. If my shadow falls on it, thatís Texas.

But, you have good taste and a willing spirit. All trubutes are appreciated.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #522 of 1042 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Hello Don,

My concern was not about the ability of the relay to accept the current.
The problem with your system is that if a relay fails (for whatever reason), you will suddenly find yourself into the dark.

From my point of view, it is better to put a relay by side, after the fuse box.
In this case, you need 4 relays.
If there is a failure, there will remain at least one side that illuminates.

It is also this logic that makes that there is a fuse per side.

(I hope my explanations are understandable)

Serge
post #523 of 1042 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS70 View Post
Quote:
I used one relay per high and low. An H4 pulls about 6 amps on high beam, and about 5.5 on low. I bought a bunch of Bosch 30 amp relays several years ago, along with matching sockets that I forgot to use. Anyway, that’s a 150% overhead on the load, so using one for high and another for low seems adequate.

Hello Don,

My concern was not about the ability of the relay to accept the current.
The problem with your system is that if a relay fails (for whatever reason), you will suddenly find yourself into the dark.

From my point of view, it is better to put a relay by side, after the fuse box.
In this case, you need 4 relays.
If there is a failure, there will remain at least one side that illuminates.

It is also this logic that makes that there is a fuse per side.

(I hope my explanations are understandable)

Serge

Very reasonable thinking. Of course, the same would be the case if the switch contacts fried. At least with two relays (protecting the switch) if a relay dies I could switch to the alternate that is still working.

This morning, I was considering wiring the turn signal circuitry differently. I have found that most flashers are now electronic, prussmbly due to the rapid adoption of LED bulbs. Anyway, the 102 blinker circuit is always "hot". It is possible to trigger the signals without the key turned on. The flasher unit I bought senses a long power-on condition, assumes someone has forgotten to turn off the car, and turns on the turn signal indicator light into a steady red condition. It is easily reset, but an example of the growing incompatibility between the old analog and new digital world.

I decided I really don't want to do a significant mod on the wiring. I'll just locate a good old analog blinker.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Last edited by DPeterson3; 12-20-2018 at 05:50 PM.
post #524 of 1042 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Martin View Post
Don

Must be some jerky or BBQ sauce... that's easy.. you ain't lived in Texas 'til you've spent 53 consecutive weeks in Del Rio.. and lived to go back 40 years later..
post #525 of 1042 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
3:00 am wake up call

Gotta get up early for a run to the airport.

Lotta problems mounting the Classic Alfa taillight lenses. Broke the mounting stud on one. Iíll report on that later.

Anyone else get the impression of cherries and cream?

Shine on harvest moon.
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode