May the circle remain unbroken - 10204 01488 - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 208Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 914 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Immigrant from Texas

Just to prove the car was once resident in Houston, I found a native cockroach. Still perfectly preserved, awaiting the next zombie apocalypse to return to motion. Or, maybe just warmer weather?

Clearly, something happened to the trunk prop assembly. I'd rather find an original than try to fabricate this, although it's certainly achievable.

A snap of the rear seat area after vacuuming out quite a pile of leaves. Wow.
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 914 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Your thread has revived my regret about not buying a decent 2000 Spider project that I came upon a few years ago. They're beautiful cars. Luckily, the car that I passed on is being restored by another person who frequents this board.

The perfect is the enemy of the good. Voltaire
post #33 of 914 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 12:58 PM

It begins well ! Nobody, before restoring an old Alfa, knows that one can spend several hours just to unscrew a nut. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 914 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 06:11 PM

Garage
I think you'll be happy. It looks like a white car with red carpets and black vinyl interior trim. Those carpets, seats, door panels and floor mats look like factory originale' parts. Norman Peterson's very original Touring Roadster had the same sort of 'rubber carpet' snaps on the floor mats. Is there a mating snap piece on the red carpet?

The inner wheel wells appear to have been freshly painted or are in exceptionally good condition.

Mark

Last edited by IRONBLOCK; 12-18-2017 at 06:19 PM.
post #35 of 914 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
All the news that's fit to print

Another night of sorting and scrutinizing. Not much missing that I can recognize.

Pics for entertainment.

The Houston paper was stuffed under the stored soft top, inside a plastic sleeve, and covered with leaves and mouse-chewed newspaper. The paper in the sleeve could have been delivered yesterday, with no yellowing, mildew, etc.

"Dems ax budget". Hmmm not much changed in 27 years.
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #36 of 914 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
So far, all good signs

The top works, but the fabric is shot. Top bay very clean, after the leaves and chewed newspaper were removed.

Both front turn/fog lamps are clean. I'm used to seeing the insides flaking away. Included are two Marchal "nipple" driving lights. I'm guessing I'll find matching holes in the front bumpers. Reinstall them, or close up the holes?

The included mirrors were mounted into holes waaaaaayyy up on each front fender. Not my style. I'll be closing those holes, as well as the antenna hole mounted strangely just in front of the right edge of the windshield. I'm probably going to do this car sans radio.

Probably removing more parts from the car itself Thursday. Tomorrow night is my grandson's winter band concert. Priorities.
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #37 of 914 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 11:19 AM

Garage
The lube plate appears to be in about the best condition I've seen. The rest of the car looks like it has survived nicely, although the radio cutout seems to have been enlarged. The top is shot.

Mark
post #38 of 914 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The lube plate was resting on the cover plate under the hood, loose. No rivets. While the car was on a trailer being towed from Texas to Nevada. Amazing it didn't bounce out and end up by the roadside somewhere in Arizona.

Wouldn't you love to pull over to take a roadside pee in, for instance, Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, look down, and spot a Touring Alfa lube plate in amazingly good condition, laying by the roadside?

I love those moments when I pick up something along the way and ask "now WHAT was the story that led to this being here?"

Yeah, the radio opening is a mess. Quite repairable by a good welder, however.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #39 of 914 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Top, frame, and rear seat area upholstery removed. Right door panel off. Regretting giving away my spare set of NOS door handles and trim rings. Right front headlight bucket pulled. Pretty much glued in place by liquified and re-solidified gasket.

The headlights appear to be original Carello. However, the reflectors display some failure of the reflecting surface. Glass lenses perfect. Rebuildable?

Does anyone know if the various retaining screws for the door panels and other interior bits were originally slot or philips head?

Anyone have a usable trunk prop assembly, or just the rod?

Still no frozen screws. Living in a universe unknown to me.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #40 of 914 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 06:29 AM

Garage
I am pretty sure that there are companies out there that can resilver your Carello headlights.

Back in 1999 I sent the dash mounted mirror from my '59 Touring to 'Cliff's Classic Chevrolet' in Portland OR for "Gun Metal" resilvering. I also sent the Duetto rearview mirror for normal resilvering. The cost for both was $59. They are perfect to this day.
At the time, I spoke with Wanda P.) 503.667.4329.

Perhaps check Hemmings Motor News for others who perform this service.

Mark
post #41 of 914 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I had 00072's rear view mirror done by a company in the Bay Area. They informed me that the original color on the glass was a "cobalt" plating, which they no longer did. I wonder if your gun metal is another term for that sort of bluish color?

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #42 of 914 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
Anyone have a usable trunk prop assembly, or just the rod?

I'm looking for one too
post #43 of 914 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Right door panel off.
Could you please make a picture of the internal face of the door to see if inside the doors there is an inverted U-shaped piece that served as a low stop on the glass (like on the 2600).

Name:  WP_20150808_024 (1).jpg
Views: 288
Size:  35.4 KB

Serge
post #44 of 914 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 02:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
I had 00072's rear view mirror done by a company in the Bay Area. They informed me that the original color on the glass was a "cobalt" plating, which they no longer did. I wonder if your gun metal is another term for that sort of bluish color?
Not likely, I think they originally called it "black chrome" but on the receipt that I dug out this morning it clearly states "Gun Metal" so that is what I typed. Definitely not bluish color, mine was and is again a unique dark tinted or black chrome. Here is a photo that was taken at the TN AROC National Convention in 2001.

Name:  Alfa 2.L_TN_ Mirror.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  28.5 KB

Regarding your Carello's, I did a quick Google search and came up with the following headlight re-silvering service, although I'd call Cliff's first and check their price. Steve's price is about $150 each for 7" lights.
http://www.realsteel.com/services/he...t-resilvering/
Mark

Last edited by IRONBLOCK; 12-21-2017 at 02:15 PM.
post #45 of 914 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 05:56 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
I was at Bob's a year ago picking up a part or two and receiving sage wisdom about driveshafts, and Bob had all the 2000's parts laid out in methodical order on tarps taking an inventory. Out of the blue he asked me if I had the hood trim piece it was missing. He'd thought I'd received it for a car. I asked, Bob what car would I have that it fit? None. He said "I thought I'd given it to you". No Bob, not. He so wanted it to be complete. I spent some time with him matching bits and assemblies up. It'll all just bolt back up with that patina!! ;-) Congrats. BTW, that handshake stuff is pretty common in our circle and with many we deal with. Cars can be sold on a verbal and held for months without any inquiry. I send off big wires to folks in Europe without even a flutter. We can owe each other good sums for months and not say a word. That passage in your opener was endearing.

BTW that young couple dancing flamenco in the park is a very modern style, very choppy and stylized. Not that languorous sensuous style you describe. They look like Van Cliburn playing Chopin like it was a timed race event versus Rubinstein's syncopation and feel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode