May the circle remain unbroken - 10204 01488 - Page 15 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 250Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
In case you change your mind....you probably will have an account here. https://www.mcmaster.com/#spacers/=1blymkz "unthreaded spacers"
Yep.

Iím in Fresno now, but when I get home Tuesday Iíll check the length and sort it out. MMC is a regular vendor.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Day 70: Body in motion

I visited Kellyís backyard shop to see how the hulk is developing. Pretty well, actually. Heís got the engine bay, passenger compartment, and trunk painted, except for a few areas that need some work.

I was curious, so we cut a window in one of the rockers. Shiny sill structure inside, except for what appears to be some surface rust along the bottom 1Ē or so. It should clean off, and the future owner will be comforted by the anti-corrosion treatment we apply before covering it all up again.

Iím not sure itíll show in any of these pics, but Kellyís only other job at the moment is a Blackhawk helicopter. I wonder who that customer is?
Attached Images

pinshaw, deepblue and JJr like this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #213 of 1042 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Daily progress...

I'm reassembling the rear end structure, all nicely done in durable powder coat (I know - horrors). However, it will be in substantially better shape in another 30 years than with any other coating.

Anyway...

I received the new rear seals, and they are in place, and am awaiting the new bearings. Getting the old ones off is always fun, but not too bad if you remember what you did 10 years ago on the last one. I didn't, but rediscovered the method.

The special nut is a toughie to get off, as I don't have a three foot long tubular impact socket. So, I found the air-chisel tool that I previously flattened, and used that in my rivet gun to go around lightly tapping the notches in the nut. Sure enough, this gets it started, and once started the spanner wrench you see on the bench got it the rest of the way. My trusty large HF hydraulic press pulled the bearing free using the pulling gripper you see in one of the pics. They are easier to reinstall, as the process just uses the short end of the axle, whereas removal requires the full depth of the puller to navigate.

The "pumpkin" is already back into the body, but held in place by modern shiny nuts while I await the return of the freshly replated, original nuts, done in black. When that load comes back, it'll also have all the nuts, bolts, and studs for the remainder of the car. It's interesting to note the oddball bolts and nuts in the brake assemblies, as some of them are not metric, having been provided by, or use with, the Girling components. For all I know, they're Whitworth!

I've included a picture of some goofy bent rod to see if anyone recognizes it. It came with the car, and I'd just dismiss it as being FOD, but it's painted in the same green that I found applied to a few other parts of the car by the PO. Maybe they just used it to hold open the trunk, as the brace that was installed is clearly something non-workable.
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 1042 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I don't recall this screw being on other seats I've had. That may say more about my memory than fact.

Any idea what it's here for?
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #215 of 1042 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Mutant trunk prop

Here's a pic of the trunk prop that came off of 1488. It looks too fabricated to be the result of an accident, and if it were straightened out, it would be far too long.

Has anyone seen a trunk prop like this? I'm wondering if it is intended to sit with the rubber bumper sideways on top of the rubber trim strip, rather than vertical into the rain gutter?

I can make a replica of what I'm used to, or possibly rob the one off of my spare trunk lid.

I finished cleaning all of the hydraulic and fuel hard lines today. What a nasty and tedious job.

I'm aware of getting replacement fuzzy strips for one of the door window stainless trim bits, but the other trim appears to have the fuzzy strip built into it. I don't remember what I did 10 years ago. Anyone have a more fresh memory of the supply/solution for the in-door rubber fuzzy rubbing strips?

Oh, I received the new wiring harness from Lionel yesterday. He's added curb scrapers and fuzzy dice. Well, the box included a laminated wiring scheme, presumably suitable for my car, plus a masonite fuse block, pre-wired. The best is always the least expensive, but not necessarily the cheapest.
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Last edited by DPeterson3; 03-04-2018 at 05:51 PM.
post #216 of 1042 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Must have lost my regular readers. No reply on funny screw on seat bottom, and curlycue trunk prop.

It's been busy, but mainly logistically. Very nearly every bolt and nut for the car is off to the plater, via Larry at APE. I hope they don't lose them. That could be a serious show stopper. Still, some work has gotten done.

My body guy was positively giddy when I visited yesterday. He said how nice it was, for the first time in his career, to not have to be crawling around under a car while doing seam sealing and liner spraying. I'll admit to some nervousness seeing the car like this, but it appears to be holding up OK.

We're awaiting the repair panels from Franco, then I expect real progress to get cranking.

I don't think I've ever seen a 102 seat back foam in other than its "dust" phase.

I'm awaiting a few studs and several non-metric weird nuts and bolts to get back before I can finish assembling the rear end.
Attached Images

JJr likes this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #217 of 1042 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 02:34 PM

Don, seeing your car on the rotisserie makes me a little worried that there are no bars bolted between the door openings.
Larry Bono

1962 Alfa 2600 Spider, bought in 1970, sold in 2016.
1969 Porsche 912 Coupe owned since new.
post #218 of 1042 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Larry,

I get the concern, but I’m confident the sill structure isn’t compromised. If it were, or repair work on that area was under way, I’d have them weld in a bar. It won’t be long and he’ll roll it back upright.

Remember, so long as the structure is sound, the car can zoom around with two heavy people sitting right in the middle of the door area without noticeable changes to the door gaps.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #219 of 1042 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:20 PM

"Must have lost my regular readers. No reply on funny screw on seat bottom, and curlycue trunk prop."

We are still here cheering you on. Great project !!

DJ
pinshaw likes this.
post #220 of 1042 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:46 PM

I remember rebuilding a 102 Spider engine for fun and selling it to someone in New Jersey. This is back in the late 1970's and the engine spun a rod bearing and needed another crankshaft. I still have the spun rod and a set of rod bolts from the engine.
post #221 of 1042 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I sold my first 102 to a young Vietnam vet from New Jersey in January of 79. He flew into Indianapolis in a howling blizzard, cranked it up, and disappeared into the night storm. I never heard from him again. His parents had sold his while he was over killing Commies for Christ, and he was pretty unhappy about it.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #222 of 1042 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Lots of little-busy in the last week.

I made a new trunk prop rod. I just happened to have some 6mm, hi-tensile steel rod in stock for making studs, so that worked out well.
Front brake assemblies nearly put together. Awaiting freshly plated bolts to return.
All the chrome stuff has been organized about three times, at which point I find another part or two that has to be included. This requires unpacking everything so it's all together, and accurately photographed to prove and define what's included. Thank you Mark, for the front turn/fog screw.
For those of you contemplating having chrome work done, I confirmed that Art Brass and Plating has a large stock of little pre-drilled cork stoppers that they slide over anything with threads, preventing the ruination of it all.
Brake drums half cleaned, and now off to the local tire shop to have the friction surfaces lightly turned.
Interior leather and carpet ordered from WULPH. They'll be doing the sewing and assembly on the seats and boot cover, and I'll take care of the doors and rear panels. $6,000. WOOF.
Parking brake handle spiffed up. Since there don't seem to be any new grips out there, and taking the original one off is likely to be a one-way exercise, I just cleaned everything and spray painted. It would be another good place for powder, given the frequent motion and scraping it experiences, but the rubber grip is in great shape, and I didn't want to ruin it.
Boranni order placed. Five wheels and all the bits, including replacement front splined hubs. $13,200, delivered. WOOF WOOF.

Off to the gym, which will just add to the pain of the above bills.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #223 of 1042 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I heard on NPR yesterday that “1488” is a code number used by the alt-right, and refers to an obscure part of Hitler’s “Mein Kampf”.

OK. No idea why I’m mentioning that here, but it slightly jarred me yesterday.

I’ll just settle for my 1488 becoming a thing of beauty and joy, and raise a one-finger salute to the other version.
horsewidower, JCDK and deepblue like this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #224 of 1042 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 06:53 PM

Garage
I was reminded yesterday by the April 'Alfa Owner' that a '1960 2000 Spider' (really a Touring Roadster S/N 10204 10040 (? that is what the Alfas at Auction article says) sold at the Phoenix/Scottsdale auction by Gooding with a new Borranis, Cobalt blue bare metal respray, lipstick-red upholstery, blue carpeting and red piping that "some may have thought a bit garish, but that didn't stop the bidders and the Touring-bodied Spider (sic) was sold for $176,000, close to the top of the auction estimate".

Bob Abhalter goes on to say that "on December 29, a remarkably original-looking 1960 2000 Touring Spider (sic) sold on BAT for $78,000. Painted black with tan upholstery, it had the looks of a well-preserved but somewhat crusty road car-not quite the same as the fully restored Gooding car, but what could one do by way of improvements or preservation with a $100,000 budget? On the other hand, the Gooding car looked fresh and ready to go and we all know what can happen during a restoration."

While we know a little about the 'Jazz' man's black/tan roadster, it is a 'preserved' driver at best and probably 75-100K and five or six years away from the striking Cobalt blue Touring.

Don, perhaps the above info will take away some of the 'sting' from buying the new Borranis and interior. Keep up the good work; I could not determine the orientation of the seat screw in your photograph but I think it is under the seat near the seat rails? The twisted boot prop looked like someone was playing a joke on someone else.

Mark
pinshaw likes this.
post #225 of 1042 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Mark,

The twisted rod is a very hard steel, not a normalized, soft version. Feels almost like a spring. Bending it would have required substantial force and tools. It wouldn’t have happened by closing the trunk too firmly, for instance. Plus, the trunk, prop rod attachment bracket, and surrounding area of the body show no distortion.

I’m ok that it remains a mystery.

If there’s anything about this resto that makes it noteworthy is the freedom to press rapidly forward, without having to rationalize decisions against household budget, the wife’s competing interests, or fear that it’s a hobby gone out of control. Barring, of course, a global economy collapsing, Trumpian apocalypse. Fingers crossed, because a no-holds-barred charge is kinda fun.
horsewidower likes this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode