I've retrieved the car from the blaster. Maybe not as wonderful as when he did my previous project, but I'm ok with it. Not cheap, but boy does it save time, and time is money, right?
I got it down to the body guy on Tuesday. I hope I don't eat my words, but I feel really good about this fellow. He's done work for me on both the Amphib and the Full Monty, and I was happy with both experiences. Fingers crossed. I'm sure he's not used to receiving a project already stripped, and mounted on an operational rotisserie. I think it actually motivated him to get busy, which was exactly my plan.
This phase is sort of schizophrenic. I have to manage the needs and emotional states of the body guy (Kelly), while moving 10,000 tiny details forward in close formation. The latter involves dismantling things, bagging the related bits that need to be kept together, restoring the primary piece, or sending them off to another contractor who may have some sort of psychotic departure midway through the process. I'm not far from shipping a large box of irreplaceable chrome up to Seattle.
The blasting revealed perhaps worse than my hopes, but better than my expectations.
The rockers are done. Thin, and perforated. One tiny breach in one floorboard, no more than 1/8" X 1/4". The bottoms of the sills look perfect, so I'm hoping the BIG OPENING doesn't reveal internal disaster. The channel along the bottom of the left door needs replacing, but the right appears OK. Might do it as well, on general principles, however.
The rear of the spare tire tub has issues. It could be easily cut out and patched, but we're debating installing an entire tub to avoid having a seam, or doing a high-quality patch that isn't visible. Decision not yet made.
Fore and aft valences are OK. The front "curb-finder" between the main cross member and the radiator support has, indeed, found several curbs over the years. It'll be reconstructed.
Otherwise, everything is remarkably good. I hope I don't regret saying that after we've torn the rockers off.
I misconnected with Kelly in time to let him see any of the exposed areas of original paint, so we decided to just make that part up. Lo and behold, after getting it all to his shop, I spotted that I'd left one of the chrome guides installed on the rear jamb of a door, and upon removal, here was the best patch of Gallio Paglierino left on the car. He's busy matching that before doing anything else.
I didn't slow down to take pictures of the entire car after the blasting, but here's the stuff that shows the worst of it.
Carson City, NV
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird
You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...