May the circle remain unbroken - 10204 01488 - Page 11 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 250Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Serge,

There is no body-mounted exhaust hanger in the area you have circled in red. There is a bracket that mounts to the rear of the transmission. The next hanger after that attaches to the the tee-bar mount, as discussed, then there is a body-mounted tab at the rear for the tailpipe.

Only three hangers total.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Day 50. Phase deux

I've often observed that when I die and am sent to purgatory (the more optimistic of my two suspicions), that I'll be sent to serve out my time by working in a DMV office somewhere. This is only partly due to the infinite tedium of dealing with a never-ending line of dim-witted and unprepared supplicants trying to register their childhood tricycle, or recover a revoked driver's license yanked for their 9th DUI. No, it would be for the far worse punishment of having to share an office with coworkers whose path of failed dreams and genetic destiny led them to live out the remainder of their lives in MY purgatory, without the observational skills to recognize that their presence is the punishment of those of us who managed to die BEFORE being sent here.

I hereby apologize to the staff and management of the Carson City DMV.

This organization is rare proof that a governmental entity can work brilliantly, with verve and humor, while striving to be even better next year.

One can walk in and stand in a fast moving line, or go online, to make a flexible "appointment". Both work, but I prefer using the line, as this includes a pre-check of one's documents, confirming their completeness, or providing guidance on needed corrections. After one has checked in, you can leave to go about other errands. Every so often, a text is received updating the estimated time until your turn will come up. The line ahead can go faster or slower than predicted, of course.

20 minutes before my turn was expected to come up, the text encouraged me to return. Within a minute or two of the predicted time, I was called to a window where "Sean" awaited with a smile. He was young, but spoke in clear, witty, standard English. I presented my lengthy stack of title, three bills of sale, two powers of attorney, and a convoluted explanation of how a hand-executed Texas Title from 1964 came into my possession 54 years AFTER being signed for transfer without ever being reregistered in a new owner's name.

"Sign here, here, and here. That'll be $29.25"

And so 1020401488 is now officially mine.

It was a brief anti-climax to also obtain a new "Real-ID" driver's license so I can fly commercially, on those rare occasions I might want to.

Wouldn't it be nice if for-profit doctors and dentists used a similar system, sparing hours in a waiting area scouring ancient "Better Homes and Gardens", "People", and "Senior Health" for ANYTHING of interest.

Also yesterday...

The car was delivered to the media blaster, who has promised to have it done by Monday, the paint/body guy is standing by for delivery and immediate application of anti-rust protection, I got new passport photos taken, confirmation with Stockton Wheel that the three wobbly rims are now perfectly straight and on their way back, new clutch master cylinder received, front wheel cylinders reassembled, and attended the grandson's Honor Band concert, where he was first chair euphonium for the second year in a row, and drove the hour home to much appreciated cool sheets.

A good day.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #153 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 07:54 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Don,
I love your prose, fluid progress and entertaining side trips. Congrats to the GS with the euphonium. Be interesting to collect all of your posts into a little booklet. Call it "The Zen and the art of Alfa preservation and restoration".

1964 Alfa 2600 Spider (undergoing restoration..), 1979 Jaguar XJ 12L, 1981 Ferrari 308 GTSi, 1986 Porsche Carrera (track car), 2002 Maserati Coupe, 2013 BMW X5 (daily driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The media blaster guy did not get it done by today. Now he's calling for another day or two, which means we won't intersect with Kelly, the body guy, this week. Dagnabbit.

I'm going to head up there tomorrow to see if I can spur them along.

Yesterday I got the shop largely rolled over from car-dismantling and metal fabrication to parts martialing and component restoration. Phase deux.

The spare engine by itself in the storage crate has a serial number up around 3,500, which seems odd when you realize they made only 3,443 of the cars. The engine in my display case is #1815, which might be placed roughly in the same year as car 1488. PITA to get the case out of the family room, up the driveway to the shop, and the power unit pulled up out of the case, but just gotta do it, I'm afraid.

It's been nearly a month, and Borrani America has not called back as promised with a quote or answers to a couple of technical questions. I've left five messages requesting follow up. Grrrrr.

The powder coater lost one of my sway bar mounting brackets. Anyone have a spare?

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #155 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 09:42 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Didn't other models, like Berlinas, use the same engine?

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #156 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Pete,

The car we know as the "Berlina" was introduced in the US in 1969 with a 1750, all-aluminum, engine.

The model 10200 four door was referred to in the US as a "Sedan". It may have been referred to as a berlina (small case "b") in Germany, but I'm not sure of that. It had a similar cast-iron 2000 to the Coupe and Roadster, but with slightly lower compression and a two-barrel downdraft carb.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #157 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 02:22 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
Pete,

The car we know as the "Berlina" was introduced in the US in 1969 with a 1750, all-aluminum, engine.

The model 10200 four door was referred to in the US as a "Sedan". It may have been referred to as a berlina (small case "b") in Germany, but I'm not sure of that. It had a similar cast-iron 2000 to the Coupe and Roadster, but with slightly lower compression and a two-barrel downdraft carb.
Learnt something

But my point still stands, ie. Alfa Romeo made more of these engines than just for the Spiders hence the high engine number may not be erroneous.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #158 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 02:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

Car in Germany

Just received this from my friend and correspondent in Germany. What little German I knew is long gone so I can't interpret the text. Thought that someone may enjoy or gain inspiration from the picture.
Attached Images

post #159 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Learnt something

But my point still stands, ie. Alfa Romeo made more of these engines than just for the Spiders hence the high engine number may not be erroneous.
Pete
Pete.....

There's no drama about the high engine number. It makes sense just from a spare-parts point of view.

However, the existence of Sedans and Sprints does not explain my engine. The Roadster engines were "00204...", the Sprints were "00205...", and the Sedans were "00200...".

My extra engine is a "00204", so only intended for Roadster use. The Sprint and Roadster engines are otherwise identical, however.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #160 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 03:42 PM
PSk

Quote:
Pete.....

There's no drama about the high engine number. It makes sense just from a spare-parts point of view.

However, the existence of Sedans and Sprints does not explain my engine. The Roadster engines were "00204...", the Sprints were "00205...", and the Sedans were "00200...".

My extra engine is a "00204", so only intended for Roadster use. The Sprint and Roadster engines are otherwise identical, however.
Gee I'm not sure I can handle learning 2 things in one day ...

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #161 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Master blaster

I visited Dexter, the blaster dude, today. They'd got some done over the weekend, but not really all that much. Must have been a sporting event or something trivial that got in the way. The actual hands-on guy, Eric, had a bad toothache today, so not much got done today, either. But, I got to watch a bit, and get a hint of what was under the paint, primer, and bondo.

Not all that bad, on the scale of Touring 102s.

The left sill bottom is unblemished. Wow. Never saw one of those before. Floor boards, ditto. A bit of perforation on the left rocker, but that's not surprising. Some minor perforations in the left door bottom drain-groove. That's a bit more difficult, but we'll work it out.

The media blaster looks like something from Robocop. I should have taken a picture of the trailer-mounted thing, but was more focused on the car. Eric, due to not having a face shield, was holding the blast nozzle at least three feet from the surface of the car, and whatever was on the car was leaving in a hurry. We finally got him a face mask, and to lean in, and things started moving. I'll post a video once I can figure out how.

Anything silver on the car is bare metal.

Also today...

Got the convertible top frame hardware cleaned, and blackened, the clutch slave cylinder dismantled, cleaned, coated, and ready for rebuild, and the front brake adjusters cleaned and ready for reassembly. Lots of moving about the shop in frenetic motion.
Attached Images

horsewidower, PS70 and JJr like this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Last edited by DPeterson3; 02-06-2018 at 08:39 PM.
post #162 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 08:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Pete,

Sales literature indicates the Sedan was called Berlina in Europe. The lower case "b" is insignificant, as the same series of sales documents calls the Spider a "spider" and the Sprint a "sprint" and the Giulietta series as "giulietta" -- at about the same time that some trim scripts changed from "Alfa Romeo" to "alfa romeo", presumably in an attenpt to modernize Alfa's image.

Name:  SX21.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  139.7 KB

Name:  SX58.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  244.5 KB

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]

Last edited by tubut; 02-06-2018 at 08:19 PM.
post #163 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Or, were they a "saloon"?

I don't have the answer, but suspect we tend to apply modern nomenclature rules to previous eras.

I consider sales literature to be an inferior source of documentation. These were often prepared by the importer, and not Alfa.

"saloon", "sedan", and "berlina" were generic names from different countries, for a body style. What did Alfa call them in their in-house technical literature?

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #164 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 09:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Or, were they a "saloon"?

I don't have the answer, but suspect we tend to apply modern nomenclature rules to previous eras.

I consider sales literature to be an inferior source of documentation. These were often prepared by the importer, and not Alfa.

"saloon", "sedan", and "berlina" were generic names from different countries, for a body style. What did Alfa call them in their in-house technical literature?
Here are the answers from the Italian and English parts catalogs:

Name:  Pub. 685 - p.004 (700 wide).jpg
Views: 212
Size:  190.9 KB

Name:  Pub. 728 - p.004 (700 wide).jpg
Views: 211
Size:  190.5 KB
PS70 likes this.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #165 of 1042 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
So, in English, we have Sedans and Roadsters, just as I remembered.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode