new convertible/hood top - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

new convertible/hood top

Hi all, cant remember the set up on the sides of the convertible top , are there double tanax fittings so the rear seat stays clipped up and the top buttons down on top or does the seat have to stay down, so top can be clipped on the three studs each sides. thanks chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 08:26 AM

Hood fitting

Chris

probably needs a photo. base of seat on 2600 spider always stays down and is clipped with two tanax fastners- you only need to release these if you want to take the rear seat out

Unclip all of rear seat top tanax fittings to release hood ( soft top). Hood then clips onto front three tanax fittings on each side . rear seat tanax reclip as they were except front three that clip to hood frame.

Like trying to explain how to play cricket

I am away but I will look for some photos

rgds

Ian
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks Ian, its just that I had the rear seat recovered and I don't know if they put the original clips back on ,and I'm sending the car up to Oxstead trimming for a new hood/top ,but I think you have answered my question , that I undo the three tanax clips on each side and use those base pegs to clip the hood to. I think !!
Thanks Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Hi, more questions about the hood/top , does anyone know where I can get the elasticated rubber strips that tension the top on both sides , also where to get a rubber seal for the rear of the hood/top where it sits on the rear deck. My trimmers are also having problems with the hood /top they imported from the U.S , the section at the rear that clips into the three chrome clamps, is not like the original , has anyone had problems. Thanks Chris
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

forgot to say the hood was from Robbins .
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 04:50 AM

Rear softtop fitting

Chris

The soft top should have a metal hoop stitched into the rear edge this is used to hook under the hooks - this hoop needs to be taken from the old soft top.

On my car there is no special rubber seal at the rear - the seal is made by the metal hoop being pushed under the three hooks. Pressing the hood fabric onto the metal

cheers

Ian
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks Ian, I know that it is stitched in like you say , but the trimmer at Oxted trimming says there is a fault in the way that section has been stitched in by Robbins in the U.S. he's talking about unpicking the stitching and starting again , I'm not able to get over there until next week, as for the seal at the rear , I have always had a gap between the hood and deck of the car , I may have to put a tubular type rubber seal to sort that out, also someone has said I could use Pirelli webbing doubled over for the straps that tension the hood.
I am trying to get trimmer to send me a picture so I can see the problem , they are trying to contact Robbins, so watch this space. Chris
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 09:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris hedley View Post
also where to get a rubber seal for the rear of the hood/top where it sits on the rear deck
Cicognani sells a set of rubbers for the rear hardtop seals here that I was told can also be used for the soft top (but I never tried myself). Classic Alfa doesn't seem to list it on their site but I'd ask them if they have it or can get it (but keep in mind that Cicognani is closed during Feragosto).

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Hi Ruedi , thanks for the reply , I have had a set of the rear seals for my hard top ,and have looked at them , got them from OKP , I fitted them to how I thought they went but not sure they will work with the soft top, I will check when I get the car back. Thanks Chris
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Hi , I'm not meant to have an easy life! the top Robbins supplied has got to go back to the states and they want my original one to go with it. So in the mean time I will get the frame back from trimmers and make repairs to the header rail, I had told them to just fit the top ,but as its not going to be fitted for some weeks I may as well do rust repairs. Chris
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:02 AM

powder coating

Chris if you are down to just the frame give it a good clean up and get it powder coated . I did one one a Morgan , it only cot 60 and looked immaculate. Make sure you polish any rusty area smooth , the powder coater should do this but if you do it first it will make sure all surfaces look great. There is no need to dismantle any rivets all parts including hinges get done in one go , but as the coating is so thin it does not effect operation. While your at it do the air filter box and cross tube - mine now powder coated look better than any respray

rgds

Ian
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Hi Ian, I'm hoping to do that , I have had the cleaner and tube done already , will hopefully post a picture when I get it back. Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode