ALFA ROMEO 1900 Corto Gara. - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:54 PM

"Corto Gara Stradale" ... a recent invention to mislead us?

An ad appeared in Auto Italiana magazine (4 April 1953) for a car labeled "Coupe' Superleggera 2-3 posti Speciale tipo "Super Sprint" su Telaio Alfa Romeo 1900 C”. AR1900C*01411* does not have the same features as that special car, but AR1900C*01361* and AR1900C*01420* do seem to have the same features as the car shown in that ad. None of these cars can be labeled legitimately as "Corto Gara". The term "Corto Gara Stradale" is something that probably never appeared until recent promotions for one of these cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:10 AM

Corto Gara

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubut View Post
Just a minor correction: The translation of Aufzeichnungen is records, not blueprints (which would be drawings).
Tubut is right, it is translated incorrectly. Records is right.
H.-Jürgen Döhren
Author and publisher book Alfa Romeo 1900 Sprint, Super Sprint and more
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

If one takes a close look at 01361 and 01420. There is similarity on the external parts.
If one on the other site take a comprising of old pictures and new pictures it is evident that there has been alterations on the 01361, to what it looks to day.
And these alterations is evident on the 01420, on the external part. I find it strange to se these alterations on 2 different chassis numbers. That is produced in different periods of around a year.
And if we take a look on the interior, there is a significant different in the design. Where 01361 has a instrument table that can be compared with what we see on the 01047, the only in existence of Corta Gara, according to my knowledge.
If we look at the instrument table of 01420, it is as one looks at a standard 1900 Corta Sprint, direct from Carrozzeria Tourings assembly table.
The 01361 is a part of the Blue Team collection, where they call it a Corta Gara. Picture attach 01361 is the gray one
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 05:58 PM

Thank you for your thoughtful replies regarding the "Corto Gara Stradale" coming up in Monaco. The Bonhams listing has indeed been updated. The car is now correctly cataloged for Monaco 2018 as 1420 (instead of 1411, as originally listed), which explains why the pictures and the stamping in the listing were consistent with 1420.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 11:32 PM

"Corto Gara Stradale" remains ...

nonsense. The false moniker damages the specialness not only of the actual "Corto Gara" examples but also the specialness of the car being offered. It is a pity, even if not the car's fault!
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iicarJohn View Post
nonsense. The false moniker damages the specialness not only of the actual "Corto Gara" examples but also the specialness of the car being offered. It is a pity, even if not the car's fault!
John I do agree. Being Swedish and roughly aware of all 1900`s that has passed this remote country far up in the north. I still want to learn more about the corto cara that has been here for many years.

1952 1900 C Sprint 1959 Giulietta TI (Class winner Rally Monte Carlo 1960)1967 Giulia Super 1970 GT 1300 Junior 2008 159 TI SW 2018 Giulia Q4 Veloce
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:33 PM

Search history to 1900c 01602/ Corto Gara !

Good day Alfa Romeo enthusiasts.
Here is a photo of my rear axle from AR 1900c 01602. I bought the car from Wally Weir in 2018. This car was standing next to 01047 for many years.
In my opinion, the number indicates a Corto Gara rear axle. See photo. History: In the engine cylinders, no pistons were mounted, but the Washington Post of January 16, 1965 soaked clean with oil. I want to say that this car about 1965 came out of circulation. The rear axle was not changed after this time the dirt on the axle mixed with grease from the bolt fastenings point to the first dirt before 1965.
The car was driven from the east coast of America to Dallas, Texas before 1965. In North Carolina, it came off the road and brushed some shrubs while the aluminum body was damaged.
To continue driving, an angle iron was welded in place of the bumper to tow the car.
Later, the owner (name wanted) had the body dismantled.
The car was then sold to Wally Weir, parts went to Pad Braden and Bob Taylor.

Personally, I would be interested in the story of this car in America, and also the mysterious number on the rear axle. All comments welcome.rolf

Last edited by rolf haemmerli; 07-23-2019 at 01:00 PM.
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:57 PM

Questions?

Before chiming in with an impression or opinion based on very little, I will want to know the engine number. The Touring body number? Is there a cylinder head with intake manifold(s) and carburetor(s)? May we see a photo or two? What is the nature of the gearbox and the shifter? May we see photos of the body from the front, sides and rear? Photos of the interior or whatever is remaining of it?

Thank you.
John de Boer

Oh, and what is the ratio of the ring & pinion? (For counting, it may be simplest to clamp one brake drum so that it cannot turn. Then count the number of turns needed to make the other drum spin two full revolutions. If the driveshaft has turned 4.3 times when one drum turns two, that will be the approximate ratio. Spinning 43 times should turn the drum 20 times … as a confirmation in this example.)

Last edited by iicarJohn; 02-22-2019 at 02:02 PM.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:02 PM

Certainly the foundry number, maybe with an increment. Mine, newer has a higher number.
Attached Images

Chris, in love with Alfa from...'68, but it wasn't always reciprocal !
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:06 PM

@ iicarJohn, for 01602, you have a couple of pictures on the 1900 website companion => here

post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:56 AM

The rear axlehousing on my car 01076 built late 1952 i would presume as it was delivered in Sweden spring 1953.
is stamped 320099 C.

Pescara do you also have a C about 1 cm after the number on your axlehousing ?

1952 1900 C Sprint 1959 Giulietta TI (Class winner Rally Monte Carlo 1960)1967 Giulia Super 1970 GT 1300 Junior 2008 159 TI SW 2018 Giulia Q4 Veloce
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 11:28 PM

325390 ti c-g

Hi John

Alfa Romeo 1900c 01602

Production date: 1953 May 26.
Delivery date: 1953 December 28.
Market destination: Palmanova (Italy)
Exterior color: Blue cobalto (later repainted red)
Carrozzeria - Coupe 2/3 posti Touring.
Touring body no. 3960

The engine block is wrong 1306* 04256* it is still the old block without the 4 water covers.
You can see that the engine has the SS V-belt Puly`s. Note the special water temperature counter.
The cylinderhead has the number 6439 (6) The carburettor is missing. The camshafts are marked.
At the transmission I have not been able to detect anything special. The car is not badly rusted.
Rear axle: 325390 TI C-G
I mean it could TI and Corto Gara are called?
I will still check the ratio later...

Last edited by rolf haemmerli; 07-23-2019 at 01:00 PM.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 11:45 PM

Hi Pescara
Yes, maybe it's a serial number of the axle.
However, I had many 1900 models but from the year 1954 - 57 and they had no such numbers. Was probably not so accurate, even the touring number on the steering wheel jacket tube on my car not all vehicles have had.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:18 AM

Thank you!

Thank you Rolf!

The Touring body number fits in perfectly among other cars in this chassis number range and that is comforting.
The "prodotta" date (for the chassis platform) and the delivery date reflect the time that the car took to be bodied and otherwise completed as a car and that all fits our hopes and expectations.

The location of delivery ("Palmanova") gives us considerable hope that we might find the early Italian history with only a bit of effort? Alfa Romeo is not allowed to share the name of the purchaser but we might be able to find this data ourselves. A car sold and registered in Palmanova would carry an Udine plate number. Relatively few plates were issued per day in Udine compared to Milano, Roma, Torino and other locales where we might expect to research hundreds of plate numbers in order to find the car. In this instance, a source (not always reliable but probably "close" to being accurate in this instance?) tells us that the plate number UD26587 was issued 31 December 1953. Although there can be exceptions to any expectation, we can think that your car was probably first registered with a plate number very close to that number, i.e. within a few days of 28 December 1953 … unless it went to a dealer.

There are some fees to do this sort of research and also the request generally needs to be dropped off (in certain offices in Italy), a small time period (a week or so) waited and then the results picked up. I can ask a friend to do this work but he must be paid something. The more plates searched at one time (perhaps ten or twenty?), the less time it will take to PROBABLY get lucky but you may wind up paying for research that is not necessary? If not in a hurry, I would begin perhaps with "UD26580" to see what day that plate was issued and then choose another plate or group of plates to research based on that specific knowledge.

Some studies will probably reveal that your rear axle housing was made to be used in either a 1900TI or a 1900C and we may find they are all (or many?) marked with a "G" suffix, the meaning of which is yet to be determined. Although it would be kind of exciting to learn that it stands for "Gara", I think it best to consider that possibility as unlikely so as to avoid possible disappointment?

It is already quite interesting to find that there was a numbering system for the rear axle housing that carries through in concept from very early Alfa Romeo cars, beginning with the RL (if not earlier) into the early 1900 examples.

Best of luck! John
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:02 AM

@ superleggera : No C after the number.

@ Rolf : It looks like a nice project !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode