Vignale 2000 Coupe - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Smile Vignale 2000 Coupe

Hello everyone.
I am a Alfa lover owning a Giulietta 750 F and a Giulia GTA Corsa. At this time I am trying to research a car that is very close to my heart. When I was growing up my father bought a 1959 Alfa 2000 coupe bodied by Vignale. The car was bought at Cancessionaria Cornacchia in Rome, Italy. After many years of use the engine failed and the car was stored until 1990 when it was sold for restoration. I would love to know more about the car, how many were made etc. If possible also try to find that particular car. It is most probably in Europe.
I will try to attach photos (I am the one on them).It had double headlight, metallic gray with red leather. Any help will be appreciated.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:25 PM

Garage
There is quite a bit of information on Vignale 102 cars in this thread, including a reference to a 4-headlight version that possibly may have been owned by Al Cortes in California. I don't recall if there was a picture of this 4-headlight car (unfortunately, many pictures were lost during the AlfaBB server crash in January, 2006).

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 06:24 PM

There were 47 Vignale bodied 102s made, and none are identical to each other. Delmas Greene in Florida, US has one of them. I am not familiar with your particular car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 07:04 PM

Garage
I think the problem is that there isn't ANY reliable documentation about Vignale bodied 102 Alfas, including whether or not there were exactly 47 cars or what they looked like.

It's sensible to assume that there may have been cars that looked identical rather than EVERY car being a one-off. The only thing we know for sure is that not all cars were the same.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubut
I think the problem is that there isn't ANY reliable documentation about Vignale bodied 102 Alfas, including whether or not there were exactly 47 cars or what they looked like.

It's sensible to assume that there may have been cars that looked identical rather than EVERY car being a one-off. The only thing we know for sure is that not all cars were the same.
The information that there were 47 cars came directly from Elvira Ruocco, so I would think it to me pretty reliable. The Vignale cars had a special prefix number. I'm sure some cars were very similar, but I have never seen two that are identical.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 11:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dretceterini
The information that there were 47 cars came directly from Elvira Ruocco, so I would think it to me pretty reliable. The Vignale cars had a special prefix number. I'm sure some cars were very similar, but I have never seen two that are identical.
The problem with your statement is that the much of the information in the Alfa Romeo Historical Archive is based on the notes and recollections of individuals (such as Fusi), rather than on systemic corporate records keeping.

There are plenty of examples (not necessarily concerning Vignale-bodied 102 cars) where Alfa’s records contradict the physical evidence of original colors, manufacturing dates, engine number ranges and quantity of cars produced.

These record-keeping problems seem to be more prevalent for cars that were built in relatively small quantities by coachbuilders such as Vignale, Zagato, ISO, etc.

But, methinks you already knew that.

-Ruedi
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubut
The problem with your statement is that the much of the information in the Alfa Romeo Historical Archive is based on the notes and recollections of individuals (such as Fusi), rather than on systemic corporate records keeping.

There are plenty of examples (not necessarily concerning Vignale-bodied 102 cars) where Alfa’s records contradict the physical evidence of original colors, manufacturing dates, engine number ranges and quantity of cars produced.

These record-keeping problems seem to be more prevalent for cars that were built in relatively small quantities by coachbuilders such as Vignale, Zagato, ISO, etc.

But, methinks you already knew that.
Reudi:
No arguement here, I only posted an opinion, based on what I am lead to believe by people who have credability. No one is ever 100% correct.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:51 AM

Tancdoc:

Wonderful photos. It would be nice to see you reunited with this car, as certainly it made an impression on you.

I would check with the German 2000/2600 Club, as they are very 2 liter savvy. If the car is still in Europe, chances are they know of it.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Does anybody know how to contact the german 2000/2600 club? Particularly e-mail.
Thanks
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 11:48 AM

Garage
The web site of the German club can be found here. Contact information is on this page.

You may also want to contact the Alfa Romeo 2000/2600 Register in the UK.

Do you know the chassis number of your dad's car?

-Ruedi
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 12:34 PM

There is one located in the Netherlands for 30 years. You don't have any info on numbers?
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 03:17 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancdoc View Post
Hello everyone.
I am a Alfa lover owning a Giulietta 750 F and a Giulia GTA Corsa. At this time I am trying to research a car that is very close to my heart. When I was growing up my father bought a 1959 Alfa 2000 coupe bodied by Vignale. The car was bought at Cancessionaria Cornacchia in Rome, Italy. After many years of use the engine failed and the car was stored until 1990 when it was sold for restoration. I would love to know more about the car, how many were made etc. If possible also try to find that particular car. It is most probably in Europe.
I will try to attach photos (I am the one on them).It had double headlight, metallic gray with red leather. Any help will be appreciated.
Salve, dalle foto e dalla concessionaria di Roma mi sembra di capire che le tue origini sono Italiane e quindi sarà più facile per me farmi capire. Ho bisogno di qualche giorno di tempo e sarò in grado di darti notizie sulla Vignale 2000.
Spero di darti notizie della Tua in particolare. Se vuoi inviarmi altre notizie e foto la mia mail è [email protected]. saluti Francesco
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 05:57 AM

If this adds anything useful to the thread, I found this photo of a 2000 Vignale coupe on the swisscarssightings.com website (Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este 2007 - Ferrari P4/5, California Spider, Mercedes-Benz SSK...). The car appeared at the 2007 Villa d'Este concours. No photos of the rear of the car, though.
Attached Images

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 08:23 AM

Isn't that the "Praho" 102/2000?
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Isn't that the "Praho" 102/2000?
The Praho had a Touring body.

Using Google, I came over a photo of a Vignale Alfa with the same rear end :
TUNING FEVER :: 1960 Alfa Romeo Vignale Coupe - Uploaded by bobi-M-power

Best regards
Ciao Carlo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode