Blower motor stuck on - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By pinino
  • 2 Post By pinino

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Blower motor stuck on

I have a 164 and the Blower motor is stuck on full blast. It doesn't turn off or change speed by any input from the A/C unit. Air is the same temperature as the outside so that A/C compressor is not engaged.

Any ideas on where to start or what it might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 06:08 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Stuck blower motor relay? So what year and model is you 164? Euro or USA spec?

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 10-03-2019 at 10:59 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:01 AM

Fan speed controller unit failed? This uses a resistor pack to produce the four fan speeds. Not sure if the later LS cars used the same resistor pack. High speed is no resistors in line, high speed voltage is in effect short circuited bypassing the resistors. One resistor gives speed 3, the other gives speed 2 and combining the resistors gives speed 1. The part is not repairable.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:12 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
Fan speed controller unit failed? This uses a resistor pack to produce the four fan speeds. Not sure if the later LS cars used the same resistor pack. High speed is no resistors in line, high speed voltage is in effect short circuited bypassing the resistors. One resistor gives speed 3, the other gives speed 2 and combining the resistors gives speed 1. The part is not repairable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERT_47 View Post
I have a 164 and the Blower motor is stuck on full blast. It doesn't turn off or change speed by any input from the A/C unit. Air is the same temperature as the outside so that A/C compressor is not engaged.

Any ideas on where to start or what it might be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
Stuck blower motor relay? So what year and model is you 164? Euro or USA spec?
We need more info before making these bad relay and speed controller calls me thinks.

Tell us what model year your Alfa 164 is please.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:29 PM

You can have a look in this thread about the fan speed controller. In my case it would cut out, so the fan did not run. I would not expect it to be stuck at a specific speed, if that part is faulty.

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164...-part-q31.html

The workshop manual has a detailed guide of what to test for.

1994 Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 - Proteo Rosso --- 1989 Lancia Thema 8.32 - Verde Indy --- 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C - Rosso Competizione --- 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0 24V - Blu lightning
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERT_47 View Post
I have a 164 and the Blower motor is stuck on full blast. Any ideas on where to start or what it might be?
My fan speed controller always worked fine -until I removed the climate control module from the dash to clean or replace the light bulbs behind the temperature indicators. I cleaned the contacts on the bulbs, which were still good.

When I went to put the module back in the car, I noticed what sounded like a 'BB' rattling around inside the controller. I remembered the previous owner of my old 164L telling me that he opened up the fan speed controller and all the pieces behind the buttons fell out and it was a pain to put them back together. Rather than disassemble the module and risk making things worse; I installed it.

Now my fan runs on the low speed setting -unless I select settings 2,3 or 4. I just can't turn the fan all the way off. Perhaps you have a similar issue with the controller buttons.

The light behind the LCD for the temperature indicator worked for a day or two before going out again. I need to go back inside there to clean the contact on the circuit board with a pencil eraser and retrieve whatever came out from behind the button for fan speed #1.

Mark
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:16 AM

"Now my fan runs on the low speed setting -unless I select settings 2,3 or 4. I just can't turn the fan all the way off."

Isn't this normal? The only way to turn the fan completely off is to turn off the HVAC (far right button). My MB c230 works the same way, in a slightly different way: when you turn the fan speed to "0", it turns the HVAC off.
IRONBLOCK likes this.

white '92 164 S (71K)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:05 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Yes, the default fan speed setting is speed number 2, assuming you have a B, L, or S model 164. It sits there unless the hvac computer decides that the cabin temperature is too far away from the selected hvac temperature. It is rare to see the fan setting drop to 1, usually rising to 3 or 4 for a while. By changing the selected cabin temperature, you can check what the fan is doing, the speed changing as you change that desired cabin temperature.

As pinino mentions, you turn off the system by pushing the off button on the far right. Push it again to turn the system back on.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 06:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinino View Post
Isn't this normal? The only way to turn the fan completely off is to turn off the HVAC (far right button).
Thanks Pinino; that fixed it! Too much seat time in a Tundra while I was working on the 164, I guess. Also having trouble remembering how to reset the clock; I will look in the owners manual. Some things Alfa are just not intuitive...

Mark

Last edited by IRONBLOCK; 10-14-2019 at 07:55 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 08:30 AM

That's an easy one...

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/7503193-post3.html
Alfissimo Int. and IRONBLOCK like this.

white '92 164 S (71K)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 04:50 PM
Platinum Subscriber

My guess is US. Stating it is on "full Blast" is definitely someone from the US. haha

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 05:23 PM

Just another possibility is the common wiring harness issue with the HVAC wiring harness insulation breakdown problem many people have had at this point in time with these cars. The wires just behind the false firewall have three or four wires (out of 6 or 7 in that harness) with insulation that "biodegrades" and then you get random HVAC system wonkiness. These wires are in a harness that comes through the real firewall just beside the blower motor (on D/S) and run over to the passenger side to HVAC system pressure switches, etc. Just another thing to be aware of that can cause problems. A few hours spent replacing wires there can fix many issues. Of course the problems this can cause are going to be random and different depending on the wires that fail and what they touch or make contact with. I recall that my car had fan speed issues and/or mode issues before I replaced those failed wires.
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164...n-failure.html
Charles

-'91 164L 5 speed (sold sadly) -'04 Volvo XC70 -'97 Mazda Miata -'04 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 -'07 Honda Odyssey EX-L
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONBLOCK View Post
Thanks Pinino; that fixed it! Too much seat time in a Tundra while the 164 was being worked on, I guess. Also having trouble remembering how to reset the clock; I will look in the owners manual. Some things Alfa are just not intuitive...

Mark
Clock's easy. With ignition on push SEL to display the clock then SET sequentially until the time display flashes then + or - to display correct time then SEL to lock the selected time.

Or maybe not, I forget exactly how it goes.

It seems I do recall correctly:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164...297-clock.html

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new

Last edited by Michael Smith; 10-14-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode