Fuel Filter Banjo Fittings - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Filter Banjo Fittings

Anyone have have a source or specs for replacement banjo fittings for the fuel filter?

Rear side fitting is worse looking than the front.
Attached Images

John
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L, 1993 Ford 5.0L Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:49 PM

For a 24v manual UK 1994 164 have just bought some for my new filter. M12 threaded banjo bolt with 8mm fuel fitting one end, M14 threaded banjo bolt for 10mm fuel hose fitting at the other. The filter I bought was a UFI 31-748-00. Admit haven't tried fitting it yet but don't think have got things wrong.
Am still in need of a new bracket for the filter. Anyone got any suggestions?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Richard.

Also found this old one.https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164...ting-size.html

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Thanks Richard.

Also found this old one.https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164...ting-size.html
Thanks for the link. Was a good reminder I forgot to add these are 1.5mm thread pitch. The power of being on a great forum :-)

Although I think my fittings are straight rather than curved, as thown in your original pic. Could be wrong. Will check later today.

Last edited by richardbradford; 09-17-2019 at 12:24 AM. Reason: extra info
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:07 PM

Belmetric.com

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Yes, thanks. I almost ordered two new bolts and a straight barbed fitting for the outlet from belmetric, but wanted to take another look at the inlet side last night.

Still evaluating if I want to splice new hose onto a new fitting for that.

Two elbow banjos from belmetric are worth about 10% of my total carís value.
Attached Images

John
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 04:01 AM

Maybe make a judgement when the straight fittings arrive, based on how stable/reliable the fuel pipe connection looks? If you are going to risk a fuel leak and potential fire, maybe it is worth getting elbowed joints or cleaning up and re-using the originals?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:50 AM

I'm a big fan of reconditioning and reusing original parts when possible. Have you tried salvaging the fittings? I saved the banjo fittings on my Jag E-type a few years ago, which were similarly corroded.

I dipped the parts in a 50/50 distilled water/muriatic acid solution for 30 min. Fwiw, muriatic acid is really nasty stuff. It'll burn your skin in a hurry. So wear gloves, long sleeves and good eye protection. Do not breath the fumes. I'd recommend a well-ventilated area or outside (definitely not in a closed garage). And don't forget to add acid to water, NOT water to acid.

Check on the fittings every 10 min or so. By the end of 30 min, the acid should have dissolved the rust leaving only clean steel. At that point, you can decide if pitting is too severe for the fitting to be saved. In my case, the fittings could be salvaged. I lightly sanded the gasket/crush washer mating surfaces with 220g then 320g wet/dry sandpaper on a flat surface (I used our kitchen countertop . . . my wife was thrilled). Then treated the fittings to prevent future corrosion.

For anti-rust treatment, I've had decent luck with Ospho (main ingredient is phosphoric acid) rust treatment as it leaves the surface with a rust resistant phosphate coating. If you want the finish to look "pretty", use a brass wire wheel mounted in grinder and buff until you have a nice shine. You can then clear coat the fitting. Or skip the wire wheel, and just leave the phosphate coated surface with some oil rubbed in. I did the latter and it's been 2 years since treatment with no further corrosion, and I live in FL. Then again, the car lives indoors and doesn't see wet roads so YMMV.

Alternatively, you can zinc plate them. There are plenty of vids on Youtube showing simple zinc plating at home on the cheap. I have a constant current power source, but I've heard of plenty of people using car battery chargers and car batteries for plating with reasonable results. I zinc plate seemingly endless amounts of Lobo bolts, nuts, washers, brackets etc in my garage so my own setup is pricier, and too expensive if you're just looking to protect some banjo fittings.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:08 PM

Just checked my 164. The fittings are straight. Guess Alfa changed it for the series 2 cars. Not quite sure what the pipe routing difference is. Can't be by much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode