BB1 My 164L a BURN VICTUM - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
BB1 My 164L a BURN VICTIM

Looks like I will be hitting VB,VA P-N-P next week with a shopping list to hit up the ex-Fred DeMatteo's white 164L. I brought that car back to life about 3 years ago and sold it and buyer sold it again to whomever may have put it in P-N-P. victim

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164...tin-p-n-p.html

We are back in VB, VA for two months. Going to bury ML's brother's ashes on Saturday in Front Royal near Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Mtns. Family semi-reunion for the event w/Family coming from AK, CA, TX, MA, FL and VA. He died in Dallas year ago March one day after we closed on our FL house

We got here at our VB beach house yesterday from Lakeland. We are having 3 decks rebuilt and some cedar siding replaced in August before we go back to FL.

Have been having real "fun" since we got here. Picked up BB1 my last Alfa Romeo 164 sedan from a neighbor Joe who was keeping it and within a mile I set it on fire with electrical cooling fan wire failure. Pulled in a WAWA station and grabbed fire bottle out of our Jeep to put it out. It set fabric sound deadening hood liner on fire and melted lots of wires, coolant tank and more. Waited 3-hours for a no-show roll back truck. Rescheduled tow for this morning then our Jeep GC battery was dead. Neighbor loaned me his car to go met tow driver and to go to Sam's to get a new battery for the Grand Cherokee.

DON'T ASK FOR PICTURES STILL CAN'T SOLVE MY DROP BOX ISSUE.

Some weekends just start out bad!

There is a 164L I used to own in Oceana Pick-n-pull now so will be seeing if I can get enough parts and wiring to salvage my burn victim.

Now drinking R&C and waiting on pizza delivery. What doesn't seriously make me hurt and super angry makes me stronger!

Keeping the faith one prayer at a time.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 07-31-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:35 PM
Gold Subscriber

Good lord!!!

Glad to hear you got the fire out, no one was hurt and that you think it's salvageable. What a tragedy. I think I'm going to outfit all my Alfas with fire extinguishers; I do that already with the the older ones.

Bob

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:04 PM
Gold Subscriber

lucky those acrid fumes did not get to you. not pleasant at all. glad no one was hurt. were we not discussing that very issue in another thread?...

164LS 1994
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 10:59 AM
cms

That is just horrible news !
Glad that no one was hurt !

Reminds me that I need to properly check that the fan is working properly, now that I have awoken Sleeping beauty out of her sleep...

Regards,

Carl Michael Skog, Fagersta, Sweden
1992 164 QV (First sold in Germany)
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:57 PM

Garage
So sorry to hear about this. But I am glad you had some resources close at hand to put out the fire. I need to add one of those to all my vehicles. Best of luck sorting everything out and with your family reunion, even if it is for a somber occasion.

Regards.

Jeff B.
Dallas, TX
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Ins Co. claims agent rep coming in the morning to site the fire damage.
horsewidower likes this.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
BB2 TRIAGE update 1500 hours July 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
Ins Co. claims agent rep coming in the morning to site the fire damage.
Flash UPDATE - Well, still triaging the patient and with all the burned wiring disconnected I hooked up just the big starter power wire to the big 12v battery cable and then applied 12v JUMPER DIRECTLY to starter solenoid wire at G151 CONNECTOR at firewall. Luck is holding as starter works and spins the engine over just fine. I was worried about flywheel teeth and starter Bendix because when fire still burning even with the key off, the engine kept running and starter drive was trying to engage flywheel. Had to disconnect battery to stop engine and starter.

Pressing on the see if I have good power wire(s) to power up Motronic FI ECU and start engine.

Looks like main wire damage insulation done to chassis wiring. STAY TUNED.
jeffb99tx and horsewidower like this.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Going to P-N-P in the morning to see if the white 164L is there with the parts and wiring I need to save this 164. I identified about 12 parts w/part numbers I will need to see if the that possible donor car in P-N-P has them.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:32 AM

Let me know if I can help, Steve

Red 1991 164S, Black 1991 164S, Red 1987 Milano, 1972 Berlina, 1973 Berlina rebuilding SPICA engine
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Pick-N-Pull comes through for me Row52.Com BUT,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2 View Post
Let me know if I can help, Steve
Thanks. I got 90% of the parts to repair it for $58 at P-N-P can you believe that. The 91 164L (Fred DeMatteo's old one) was still pretty much complete except for intake plenum and valve covers (the bing they sell on ebay or they try to sell).

What was missing for this project was complete hoses from oil separator and idle actuator (IAC) to intake corrugated hose and 90 degree elbow for oil sep hose to corrugated hose. I got partial hose for IAC as car must have had a repair to hose.

For the $58, I also got besides for fire repair two good hoods struts to replace dead ones on BB1. dizzy cap and plug wires, IAC w/partial hose, air flow meter. I did get besides wiring I needed, false firewall, complete G154/G155 circuit board, heater/cooling fan fuse holders, coolant tank w/cap, brake reservoir, etc....

The Kicker to this whole save the BB1 caper is INS CO will probably pay me more to scrap the car than I can sell it for and that is so SAD.
[/B]

Don't have final figures yet from them BUT adjuster estimates about $2300+ to fix car with new hood, battery, etc... and their estimated value of BB1 about $2800.

Since ML said one 164 in FL BB1 maybe a goner no matter how easy it is to fix. I couldn't get a buyer or two or three to come thru even at $2500 so with $500 deductible I maybe can still get close to that price and be down to 1 alfa 164 in Fl and none left in VA.

Could this be a blessing in the making. Life as I am approaching 80 maybe telling ME to RIGHT SIZE and let go let God.

Stay tuned for the rest of the story.
horsewidower likes this.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:31 PM

OK, how should I proceed, if at all. I probably have some of that missing stuff.

Red 1991 164S, Black 1991 164S, Red 1987 Milano, 1972 Berlina, 1973 Berlina rebuilding SPICA engine
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2 View Post
OK, how should I proceed, if at all. I probably have some of that missing stuff.

R2 hold that thought we are off to NVA for family reunion event and visiting friends afterwards. Ins Co rep will post more info after holiday so stay tuned for some sort of decision next week.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 07:47 AM

OK, pm or email me.

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Some jury-rigging today

We got back yesterday from family event in NVA and visiting my friend out in SW VA.

I managed to cobble the wiring together enough to start up BB1 and test all electrical systems today. everything seems to work except the a/c compressor clutch would not engage. Will put gauge set on to see if there is any R134a in system. It worked before the fire.

Used the used G56 circuit board on false firewall, 40A fuse block, coolant tank and air flow meter from P-N-P 164 as I wasn't ready to put complete air cleaner set up back in car.

Drove it around the block. drives well.

Haven't had a discussion with Ins adjustor yet. I hope I can do a little more straightening out the of the wiring and coolant hoses. Really need to have the car while we are in VA as a second car.

I bypassed the heater core for now but if I tidy up all the wiring and replace the false firewall with one I got from P-N-P I can get things will pretty much be back to normal looking.
horsewidower and IRONBLOCK like this.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
We got back yesterday from family event in NVA and visiting my friend out in SW VA.

I managed to cobble the wiring together enough to start up BB1 and test all electrical systems today. everything seems to work except the a/c compressor clutch would not engage. Will put gauge set on to see if there is any R134a in system. It worked before the fire.

Used the used G56 circuit board on false firewall, 40A fuse block, coolant tank and air flow meter from P-N-P 164 as I wasn't ready to put complete air cleaner set up back in car.

Drove it around the block. drives well.

Haven't had a discussion with Ins adjustor yet. I hope I can do a little more straightening out the of the wiring and coolant hoses. Really need to have the car while we are in VA as a second car.

I bypassed the heater core for now but if I tidy up all the wiring and replace the false firewall with one I got from P-N-P I can get things will pretty much be back to normal looking.
An unwelcome distraction for sure...glad its running. bit of a relief for sure.

164LS 1994

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode