'95 LS, bad gas, how to drain. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

'95 LS, bad gas, how to drain.

I picked up a tank of bad gas. I've been trying to drain it.

I bought a siphon kit, but I can't get the hose to make it to the tank. The 164 has a bit of a winding road of a fuel filling system. After spending more time than I like to admit, pushing, turning and twisting the hose, I admitted defeated and looked for a different way to drain the fuel.

I pulled the filter, and the pump would push fuel out once I turned the key...but it also engaged the starter and turned the engine. Which will eventually run down the battery. I think I have 10 gallons that I need to get rid of as I'm at 1/2 a tank.

Is there a way to trigger the pump without engaging the starter? Yes, I know I probably can find the manual and try to figure it out, but wiring isn't my strong suit, and I really need to get this done tomorrow.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:02 PM

yep. Jumper the fuel pump relay.
horsewidower likes this.

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:03 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Jump the fuel pump relay and drain some fuel from the fuel rail. It's late but I can have more details tomorrow.
horsewidower likes this.

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfissimo Int. View Post
Jump the fuel pump relay and drain some fuel from the fuel rail. It's late but I can have more details tomorrow.
No problem, I can wait. Thanks.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:01 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Sure it is bad gas? How does the car run?

Remember those power modules I told you about? When we were driving the LS in Cal one year, we gassed the car up and it started to run poorly not long after, missing and bucking some of the time. I thought it was bad gas, but really, bad gas these days is pretty darn rare. Quite frankly, I've never had a problem in any of our Alfas I could realistically attribute to "bad gas". It was always something else. Also, accidentally putting in lower octane gas will not hurt things if the car is driven sanely, as that engine has knock sensors to protect the engine, at least to an extent.

Turns out for our car, it was dirty connections at those power modules, not bad gas at all. Once the connections were cleaned and protected with dielectric grease, all has been fine since then. Did actually have a power module fail on the car, but Bob "goats" kindly sent me another, and it works just fine (thanks again, Bob). You can also buy those same modules on eBay, used in certain Volvos, for ~$20. I bought one, tried it, and it works fine, but I use the one Bob gave me, the other is a glove box spare, lol.

Check those connectors, cleaning and protecting them, and see if that will cure whatever ills the car may seem to have. Also, be sure to run a fuel injector cleaner such as Techron to avoid any problems in the fuel system. Using something like that, I've never had injector problems in any FI Alfa I've owned, even after 150+k miles.

BTW, if the fuel gauge reads about 1/2 full, the tank is really likely to be no more than 1/3 full, based on what the gauge reads in our LS. The 91S gauge is the same way. If the gauge reads 1/2 full, I end up putting in 10+ gallons, realistic max being ~15 1/2 gal.

Another thing to think about is which plugs are you using. Should be the NGK Iridiums for best results, IMO.
horsewidower likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 06-29-2019 at 10:22 PM.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:31 PM
Gold Subscriber

does it idle roughly and smooth out over 3000 rpm?

Modules definitely a good place to start
if cleaning them does not cure problem, perhaps you could try this:

One module if for front bank, one module for rear bank
Unplug one of the modules, so car is running on one bank. At this point it may run or stall.
unplug first module and reconnect second module so car runs on the other bank,
Does it run better on one bank than the other?
horsewidower likes this.

164LS 1994
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Sure it is bad gas? How does the car run?
In my mind, there were only two things that changed, I got gas, and I dropped to the central valley floor, where it was warmer. But I'm not sure it's gas.

It started happening right after I filled up, got progressively worse. 100 miles after I noticed the symptoms, I pulled off the freeway and it died...restarted, died again. I had to keep it over 3000 rpm in order to get the last 20 miles home.

I will take the time to pull those connections, clean and grease them. I do have another LS that I'll be using as the parts car, so I have parts available to me. I thought I'd eliminate the possibility of bad gas, right at the start of trouble shooting. The potential problem of the valley heat causing the problem was eliminated as the symptoms were still there when I started it in the morning cool.

post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:58 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

If it is the connections, the problem may be caused by them being dirty and the change in temperature making things worse from then on.

I hope it is just the connectors. However, the other important connection to clean and protect is the multiwire connector to the air flow meter.

What fault code do you get when you turn the key to the run position without starting the car, and then pushing the gas pedal to the floor five times quickly? The check engine light will start flashing. First it will flash just once. Then, it will start to flash the code. Then it will flash just once more before it starts the routine again.

Example: If it is the AFM connector it will give a 1221 code. We just had this happen that afternoon after we had met you all. Had to clean that connection, as the engine wouldn't keep running at idle, would die instead. The cleaning and protection did the job.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 06-29-2019 at 11:29 PM.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:44 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Pull fuel pump relay (the non-red stripe one) on top radiator support. Jumper pin socket 30 pink wire to pin socket 87 pin-white wire. turn on key pump should run.

Good luck.

I'll tell my very own tale of woe maybe later in the day.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:48 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Change fuel filter while you are at it.

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Fuel filter ordered. Will be in this afternoon.

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:14 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Keep us posted, and remember to properly make only one change or fix at a time, so that you end up knowing which fix did the trick. Important knowledge for the future. Doing multiple fixes at the same time cannot tell you that.
horsewidower likes this.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

Last edited by Del; 06-30-2019 at 12:09 PM.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

This 164 group never ceases to amaze me. With decent search techniques it all seems to be researched.

To wit, this relay post:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/8279454-post2.html

Everything is there. Thanks again for the hard work and the documentation.

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Well, that was an interesting hour. Relay was in the wrong place, and the wiring was different than posted.

The relays were behind a cover.
The reddish relay should have been the fuel relay...it wasn't. Hopefully nothing electronic was hurt when I plugged in the jumper and turned the key. No smoke, so let's hope.
I finally pulled out the sockets themselves, looking for the pink wire and pink and white wire. There were no such things coming from the "fuel relay socket."
So I moved to the second socket, found pink, pink and white, and two pink and black with different gauges. I went pink to pink and white...no joy. I then looked at the relay and noticed that the 30 to 87 was pink to pink and black. So I plugged that in...yeah, gas gushing.

Let's hope I didn't fry anything.

I'm this close to buying a new "roller skate" with a warranty...

Pictures:
Attached Images

post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:12 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I would not bother with that bad gas idea stuff at first, but clean all the electrical connections. Do the simple stuff first.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

Last edited by Del; 06-30-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode