'95 LS, bad gas, how to drain. - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Worked on a different Alfa this evening. I need to get it out of the workshop so that I can get this one in. Plus needed a breather from the irritation on this one.

I'll get back to it tomorrow.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:43 AM

horsewidower: Sorry your Alfa's causing such stress-hang in there. Some ideas: if it's not your primary car then you can afford to step back, take a few breaths...maybe approach the situation thinking in terms of it being a challenging puzzle rather than a "problem"- a word that can automatically put the subconscious mind in a negative mode. I 'second' other's suggestions to research any error codes in the car's electronics, carefully check the simplest, easiest and sometimes the least likely maintenance-type items: does gas cap still function correctly (?,), are battery cables tight, any corrosion, good grounds for example. And check this stuff even if it was replaced, cleaned etc very recently. Only make/do/replace one item at a time. Someone said be sure to examine any air inlet ducting/hoses inside & outer surfaces. The inner walls could look fine at rest but with the lower pressure and flow rate of air when engine's running it can become a closed flapper valve. I've had friends that suffered this and had 'new' rubber fuel lines that looked fine but collapsed when engine tried to run. I had less than 100 miles on a brand new car that died trying to climb a busy, narrow mountain road- it would barely idle-nothing more. The brand new, original, factory installed fuel filter was completely clogged. Of all these ideas,
trying to keep a calm, positive frame of mind probably gets a person 90% of the way there. Good luck & have a safe, happy July 4th.
horsewidower likes this.
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:45 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Bob, anything going on here?

Did you feel either of the two earthquakes? Luckily, they were centered out in the boonies.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Del, currently dealing with an ailing F350 for the Lovely Donna. Working truck always comes first.

The earthquakes are quite a bit south of us. I live in a relatively quiet seismic zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 03:03 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Good to hear that you didn't have any effects from the earthquakes. We even get some from the earthquakes in Alaska. Our long skinny lap pool is a perfect "seismometer" of sorts, the water sloshing slight end to end when we haven't felt anything, as it is aligned pretty much north/south the long way toward Alaska. Weird to all of a sudden see the water begin to move back and forth all by itself.

When we do get a significant earthquake here, it really does slosh out the ends.

Yes, toys always seem to get set back, when necessary hardware needs resuscitation.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

This weekend I threw in the towel on the F350. AAA picked it up this morning and delivered it to the shop. Which means, I'll have more time to work on the Alfas, but less money to buy parts...

I don't know whether to be happy or sad.
Alfissimo Int. likes this.

post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

F350 is back, wallet is much, much lighter. But the Lovely Donna is happy...

Code pulled, 4444.

I still plan on cleaning a number of electrical contacts, pulling a plug to look at it, and installing the new fuel filter I purchased from Jason. I think, after changing the fuel filter, I'll fill the fuel tank, it only has 5 gallons in it. "The solution to pollution is dilution" in this case any lingering mal effects from bad gas would be further diluted by more good gas.

OH, and also do a fuel pressure test.

Bob

post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:42 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

You could also do the old fashioned thing of tossing in a can of the alcohol based water absorbing gas conditioner, as we used to do in the very old days. Although, modern gasoline with 10& alcohol content probably cures a water problem. Simple things. They never hurt.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Now that's an interesting thought. Heet? Correct?

post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:47 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Umm, don't know that brand offhand. Sure, whatever the label says I guess.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:53 PM

Check the timing
Alfissimo Int. likes this.

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:47 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Yes, eventually, but simple things first, I would think, esp if one is not used to the 24V.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by goats View Post
Check the timing
Ignition or valve?

post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:37 PM

valve. There is no ignition timing per se EDIT - what I mean to say is that ignition timing is not adjustable

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by goats View Post
valve. There is no ignition timing per se EDIT - what I mean to say is that ignition timing is not adjustable
I was afraid that's what you meant. That can only be accomplished by opening the patient up, correct? I've got cam locks. If I need to do that, I might as well go ahead and do a belt change.

Unless...there is an easy way to check that I'm unaware of.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode