"S" cams in std motor? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By andylarry
  • 1 Post By Alfissimo Int.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

"S" cams in std motor?

Has anyone tried "S" cams in a standard 164 motor?

I have bought a donor 164 "S" (QV here in NZ) and my son was wondering about putting the cams in his 164 base. Is there any point without upping the compression? Alternatively, the engine might be okay (despite having done 377kms), what's this engine like fitted to a base model gearbox?

Cheers
Kerry
Christchurch, NZ.

Christchurch, NZ.
Alfetta GT twinspark project, Alfasud Ti, 3x164s, 4x156s, 147, 166, plus parts cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:59 PM

S cams open up the top end at the expense of low end torque, as you might expect. The S cams allow higher compression by doing this.

In my not so humble opinion the S version was a paper tiger to impress journalists. The actual performance difference between S and L tunes was really effected by a 10% shorter final drive in the transmission.

If your son enjoys high rpm driving then by all means fit the S cams. The compression ratio is only relevant at below 4,000 rpm where the L needs the lower compression to avoid knocking.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:46 PM

I wouldn't bother. Most likely cams are worn out at 377km. If still decide to do it, move the valve lifters with the cams. They wear together and must be kept together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:56 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I have a S engine in my L w/AT and it goes pretty good. Car came to me that way but has stock L air flow meter, ECU and exhaust system. Can't say for sure it has S pistons or cams but it goes pretty good.

Now my S with lower final gear ratio tranny goes good, too.

That being said my 164B w/5sp had spunk, too with taller final drive ratio.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:06 AM

The L has a better final drive ratio to suit the engine torque curve and fitting the S engine with that final drive ratio would produce a better drive, for European conditions.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:11 AM

Years ago I had a 91 L in which I installed new "S" cams, a Speed Factory eprom which raised the rpm limit to 7200, and deleted the center muffler and added a Stebro rear can. There was a small loss of low end power and a noticeable gain of mid-high and high rpm power. It would obtain 101 mph in third gear and I saw a verified 156mph on a flat road with maybe a few more mph to go. I ran the engine with those mods for about 150k miles before I sold it to fellow who was building a Lancia rally car replica and just wanted the engine and trans.
Michael Smith likes this.

ALFA ANDY
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylarry View Post
..... before I sold it to fellow who was building a Lancia rally car replica and just wanted the engine and trans.
If I ever wrecked my 164S this would be my next project. Strip it down and build a Stratos.

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfettaGTAm View Post
Has anyone tried "S" cams in a standard 164 motor?

I have bought a donor 164 "S" (QV here in NZ) and my son was wondering about putting the cams in his 164 base. Is there any point without upping the compression? Alternatively, the engine might be okay (despite having done 377kms), what's this engine like fitted to a base model gearbox?

Cheers
Kerry
Christchurch, NZ.
Don't bother. The L cams and motor I think are better. If you want to open it up a bit, get a chip to bring it up to 200hp. Use the QV exhaust system, basically flex pipes back, use updated version if you can that sit up higher under car. If you don't have to have a CAT use the early 164 non-cat silencer front, add bung to front of unit for O2 sensor and that should be plenty of fun.

I like the L set up better.
Michael Smith likes this.

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode