Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   164 & 168 (1991-1995) (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/)
-   -   "S" cams in std motor? (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/679312-s-cams-std-motor.html)

alfettaGTAm 05-04-2019 06:20 PM

"S" cams in std motor?

Has anyone tried "S" cams in a standard 164 motor?

I have bought a donor 164 "S" (QV here in NZ) and my son was wondering about putting the cams in his 164 base. Is there any point without upping the compression? Alternatively, the engine might be okay (despite having done 377kms), what's this engine like fitted to a base model gearbox?

Cheers
Kerry
Christchurch, NZ.

Michael Smith 05-04-2019 06:59 PM

S cams open up the top end at the expense of low end torque, as you might expect. The S cams allow higher compression by doing this.

In my not so humble opinion the S version was a paper tiger to impress journalists. The actual performance difference between S and L tunes was really effected by a 10% shorter final drive in the transmission.

If your son enjoys high rpm driving then by all means fit the S cams. The compression ratio is only relevant at below 4,000 rpm where the L needs the lower compression to avoid knocking.

Alfistaa 05-04-2019 09:46 PM

I wouldn't bother. Most likely cams are worn out at 377km. If still decide to do it, move the valve lifters with the cams. They wear together and must be kept together.

Alfisto Steve 05-05-2019 05:56 AM

I have a S engine in my L w/AT and it goes pretty good. Car came to me that way but has stock L air flow meter, ECU and exhaust system. Can't say for sure it has S pistons or cams but it goes pretty good.

Now my S with lower final gear ratio tranny goes good, too.

That being said my 164B w/5sp had spunk, too with taller final drive ratio.

Michael Smith 05-05-2019 06:06 AM

The L has a better final drive ratio to suit the engine torque curve and fitting the S engine with that final drive ratio would produce a better drive, for European conditions.

andylarry 05-05-2019 08:11 AM

Years ago I had a 91 L in which I installed new "S" cams, a Speed Factory eprom which raised the rpm limit to 7200, and deleted the center muffler and added a Stebro rear can. There was a small loss of low end power and a noticeable gain of mid-high and high rpm power. It would obtain 101 mph in third gear and I saw a verified 156mph on a flat road with maybe a few more mph to go. I ran the engine with those mods for about 150k miles before I sold it to fellow who was building a Lancia rally car replica and just wanted the engine and trans.

Rogue Leader 05-05-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andylarry (Post 8409230)
..... before I sold it to fellow who was building a Lancia rally car replica and just wanted the engine and trans.

If I ever wrecked my 164S this would be my next project. Strip it down and build a Stratos.

Alfissimo Int. 05-06-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfettaGTAm (Post 8409058)
Has anyone tried "S" cams in a standard 164 motor?

I have bought a donor 164 "S" (QV here in NZ) and my son was wondering about putting the cams in his 164 base. Is there any point without upping the compression? Alternatively, the engine might be okay (despite having done 377kms), what's this engine like fitted to a base model gearbox?

Cheers
Kerry
Christchurch, NZ.

Don't bother. The L cams and motor I think are better. If you want to open it up a bit, get a chip to bring it up to 200hp. Use the QV exhaust system, basically flex pipes back, use updated version if you can that sit up higher under car. If you don't have to have a CAT use the early 164 non-cat silencer front, add bung to front of unit for O2 sensor and that should be plenty of fun.

I like the L set up better.