164LS sudden power steering failure - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By csduetto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

164LS sudden power steering failure

Just wanted to share a failure mode on my 164LS that I did not find any information on in our forums (maybe I missed it. I have a non leaking fairly newly installed steering rack and had been driving my car daily until this failure occured. On a fairly pleasant morning I started the car to go to work which had worked flawlessly the night before and found that I had no assist in my PS whatsoever. I quickly checked under the hood for fluid in the reservoir and for any leaks and found none. I then checked my belt and ensured my pump was turning normally and all seemed well. After a few days of thinking and looking online at my options, I choose a rebuild kit off ebay which provided fresh seals and gaskets for about $20. I removed the front section of the steering pump, replaced all the seals and gaskets, looked for signs of scoring or other wear on the vanes as well as shaft and all seemed well. I put everything back together and started the car, got no unusual noises but also no PS assist. I continued to look online and made a few calls and learned there was a flow valve in the rear part of the body that may have inadvertently gotten stuck. I removed the pump in its entirety this time and after splitting the front and rear sections looked closer at the rear casing. Then, looking at a you-tube video of a similar BMW ZF pump rebuild I noticed a distinct difference between the way the valves were seated in the rear casting. A tab was missing on my center retainer and the bronze valve was pressed all the way in while on the you-tube casing both tabs were there and the bronze valve seemed to be using this tab as a stop. Additionally I could not blow any air through from one inlet to the other. I gently put some pressure on the bronze valve and it popped out, revealing the broken tab that had managed to jam it into the closed position. See the attached pictures to help make sense of my description. In the process I saved myself the cost of a new pump and learned a few things along the way. Thought this may help someone else if a similar problem occurs. Cheers cS
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:26 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by csduetto View Post
Just wanted to share a failure mode on my 164LS that I did not find any information on in our forums (maybe I missed it. I have a non leaking fairly newly installed steering rack and had been driving my car daily until this failure occured. On a fairly pleasant morning I started the car to go to work which had worked flawlessly the night before and found that I had no assist in my PS whatsoever. I quickly checked under the hood for fluid in the reservoir and for any leaks and found none. I then checked my belt and ensured my pump was turning normally and all seemed well. After a few days of thinking and looking online at my options, I choose a rebuild kit off ebay which provided fresh seals and gaskets for about $20. I removed the front section of the steering pump, replaced all the seals and gaskets, looked for signs of scoring or other wear on the vanes as well as shaft and all seemed well. I put everything back together and started the car, got no unusual noises but also no PS assist. I continued to look online and made a few calls and learned there was a flow valve in the rear part of the body that may have inadvertently gotten stuck. I removed the pump in its entirety this time and after splitting the front and rear sections looked closer at the rear casing. Then, looking at a you-tube video of a similar BMW ZF pump rebuild I noticed a distinct difference between the way the valves were seated in the rear casting. A tab was missing on my center retainer and the bronze valve was pressed all the way in while on the you-tube casing both tabs were there and the bronze valve seemed to be using this tab as a stop. Additionally I could not blow any air through from one inlet to the other. I gently put some pressure on the bronze valve and it popped out, revealing the broken tab that had managed to jam it into the closed position. See the attached pictures to help make sense of my description. In the process I saved myself the cost of a new pump and learned a few things along the way. Thought this may help someone else if a similar problem occurs. Cheers cS
I have rebuilt many with this exact issue. Nice find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:32 AM
Gold Subscriber

thanks for sharing...may save some head scratching

164LS 1994

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode