Funky 91S brakes - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:55 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Funny, that when I check on the prices for the various fluids, such as the ATE 200 and the Castrol GTLMA, the web sites say "not compatible with the Alfa 164". I wonder why, not that it is going to stop me from buying one of them.

Then again, maybe it is just eBay, lol.
Probably because it's an alfa. People are scared of these things. They are alien cars.
Del likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:27 AM

Incidentally Del, if you or anyone) needs a brake master kit, unused, for a pre 24v model (22.2mm), I have one ordered in error sitting on my shelf. Frenkit 122007. P.M. me with your location and I will try to calculate postage rates.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:16 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
You are correct, the feds said each automotive fluid has to be a specific color, hence the end of ATE SuperBlue. 200 is the same thing.
Actually the blue has been illegal in street cars since the early 70's. The fed's said then that brake fluid had to be amber. Up until that point it was just called blue.

The reason behind the two different colors is for flushing the brake system. You suck the fluid out of the master cylinder replace it with the opposite color and flush. When the color changes at the wheel your done.

They added for racing only to the bottle to continue selling it.

Also there is a service bulletin from Alfa date 1973 or 1974 telling the dealers to change out the blue the new cars came with to the gold and Alfa would pay for it.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:13 AM

So I also had some funky 91 S brakes but a bit differently and I think I found the culprit but would like to confirm before I order MORE parts.

So the rear brakes on my car I found barely work (the rust on the rotors tells me they barely grab if at all), I found when driving that I got a weird sensation, mostly pulling right but then normal then right it was a bit on and off. No lights on dash at all.

Disassembled the frontend today and when disconnecting the brake lines I found the left front caliper completely BONE DRY, not a drop of fluid from the caliper or line. The right front was normal. I have not disassembled the rears yet.

At first I was thinking master cylinder, but I know there is an ABS module in there and looking at how the system works makes me think that the ABS module could be the culprit?

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:47 AM

ABS distributor maybe? Try bleeding the brakes through that caliper first. With one front brake not working the stopping distances would increase by more than 50% and should be terrifying. Even one failed circuit has two brakes operating.

The MC would be my first suspect as that's where the dual circuit begins, tying left front to right rear and right front to left rear.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
ABS distributor maybe? Try bleeding the brakes through that caliper first. With one front brake not working the stopping distances would increase by more than 50% and should be terrifying. Even one failed circuit has two brakes operating.

The MC would be my first suspect as that's where the dual circuit begins, tying left front to right rear and right front to left rear.
I'm in the midst of doing a brake system overhaul replacing the calipers, rotors, hard and soft lines. I figured if I have to go as far as removing lines form the MC it may be worth removing the MC and replacing anyway at this point if there could be an issue.

I've never seen the ABS distributor for sale but that would be my first guess.

And yes it was completely terrifying which is why I stopped driving the car ha. It did however seem to work fine when I first got the car, but I've only put about 200ish miles on it, and there are no indications of a leak which makes me think something just plain failed internally to the MC.

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:57 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
So I also had some funky 91 S brakes but a bit differently and I think I found the culprit but would like to confirm before I order MORE parts.

So the rear brakes on my car I found barely work (the rust on the rotors tells me they barely grab if at all), I found when driving that I got a weird sensation, mostly pulling right but then normal then right it was a bit on and off. No lights on dash at all.

Disassembled the frontend today and when disconnecting the brake lines I found the left front caliper completely BONE DRY, not a drop of fluid from the caliper or line. The right front was normal. I have not disassembled the rears yet.

At first I was thinking master cylinder, but I know there is an ABS module in there and looking at how the system works makes me think that the ABS module could be the culprit?
I'd say most likely MC as well. I have never seen issues with the ABS module. It's always the MC.

Jason Minos

San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
2010 Touareg TDI
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:16 AM
Platinum Subscriber

All this talk of fancy brake fluid. I've just used standard Prestone DOT 4 brake fluid as specified by Alfa and have never had an issue related to fluid.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:19 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
All this talk of fancy brake fluid. I've just used standard Prestone DOT 4 brake fluid as specified by Alfa and have never had an issue related to fluid.
I recommend Castrol Synthetic, the old GTLMA fluid. If you want to spend the money Pentosin or ATE GOLD.

Jason Minos

San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
2010 Touareg TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode