Alfa Romeo Forums banner

New clutch in '95 164LS But pedal doesn't return to top

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  IRONBLOCK 
#1 ·
Recently had clutch replaced. Now the pedal doesn't return all the way up. I read that there is no actual pedal adjustment. So, what is going on? Thanks for your help.

#2 · (Edited)
Check spring cartridge under dash that is attached to clutch pedal near pivot point. It has a guide/slide pin on one end inside the spring that has to slip into guide hole on other end.

Item 10 slips inside item 9 and notch on bottom of item 10 has to fit on matching notch on metal frame pedal pivots on.

See if cartridge assembly out of alignment.

Report your findings.

Attachments

#4 ·
My clutch pedal does not always return either. It sticks probably 5% of the time or less and has done this for about 2 years. I just replaced the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing but the clutch still sticks occasionally. My suspicion is that the master cylinder (clutch main pump) may need to be replaced, although it still works.

When my pedal sticks, I can lift it back up by putting the toe of my shoe under the pedal.

Steve, if the sticking pedal is caused by the return spring assembly, what is required to repair this situation?

Mark

#6 ·
Check that coil spring and guide pins are lubed and not binding inside each other.

Also check that weld that holds master cylinder release arm to pedal is not cracked.

You can also need to lube pedal pivot bolt/bushing and pivot pin on master cylinder pivot end.

With fuse panel door open you can remove black plastic cover and fabric sock that slips over the end of clutch master cylinder.

#7 ·
Okay, will do as the good Doctor recommends and report back.

The slave cylinder was leaking fluid and the clutch pedal was sticking. The fluid and slave cylinder were both changed not more than ~1,000 miles ago. The new slave cylinder stopped the leak but not the sticking.

Mark

#8 ·
I have the sticking issue intermittently on my car. Never so bad I have to put my foot under the pedal but can hear it come up after a slight delay. Not occurring at the moment or for last year actually. Always assumed had some return spring missing but never investigated and, as said, right now is fine. Curious...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.