4Likes
  • 1 Post By Alfissimo Int.
  • 1 Post By pinino
  • 2 Post By Del

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
WTB: Serpentine Belt "Gator" Style

Does anyone know if the "gator" style of serpentine belt is available? My mechanic said they had been discontinued. The original style will occasionally slip when it is raining.

Thanks,

Jeff
Dallas, TX

Jeff B.
Dallas, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 11:18 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
AND what car do you need it for?

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Just sold my last one. Not any help but I am not finding them anywhere. What brand belt are you using? Might want to take a little sand paper to the pulley grooves, clean them out and give the grooves some more grip.

I'd have a look at the grooves in the pulley, there might be contamination to old belt material and so on.

When it slips it just causes more issues.

slip → heat → belt thermo-oxidation → less friction → increased slip → pulley wear → yet more slip

Tension is crucial.

Remove belt, check for vulcanization, clean pulley grooves/wet sand if needed, replace belt, properly tension (splash water on it to see when it stops slipping). I am sure it will be good from there. Dayco or Bando belts even Conti belts. I'd look for the one that has a matte finish on belt v side.

Worse case if pulleys are toast, you could send them into: Homepage - Vulcan Grip
jeffb99tx likes this.

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), 19X8, 19X9.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
AND what car do you need it for?
Hi Steve, good question. It is for my LS.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff B.
Dallas, TX
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfissimo Int. View Post
Just sold my last one. Not any help but I am not finding them anywhere. What brand belt are you using? Might want to take a little sand paper to the pulley grooves, clean them out and give the grooves some more grip.

I'd have a look at the grooves in the pulley, there might be contamination to old belt material and so on.

When it slips it just causes more issues.

slip → heat → belt thermo-oxidation → less friction → increased slip → pulley wear → yet more slip

Tension is crucial.

Remove belt, check for vulcanization, clean pulley grooves/wet sand if needed, replace belt, properly tension (splash water on it to see when it stops slipping). I am sure it will be good from there. Dayco or Bando belts even Conti belts. I'd look for the one that has a matte finish on belt v side.

Worse case if pulleys are toast, you could send them into: Homepage - Vulcan Grip
Thanks Jason for the guidance. I am not sure what brand my mechanic is using. I will pass along your comments. One of the pulley's is making a bearing noise and he will be looking at that along with addressing the belt slippage issues.

Regards,

Jeff B.
Dallas

Jeff B.
Dallas, TX
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

The Goodyear "quiet channel technology" "Gatorback" has been rebranded "Continental Elite".

Here is spec sheet:

Poly-V Belts with Quiet Channel Technology? | Continental ContiTech

Alfa 164 LS takes Continental 4070775 (or 7PK1970) [1970 mm length]

Oem length was 1969 mm. Some have supplied aftermarket belts measuring up to 1980 mm.

Conti 4070775 is really easy to source.
jeffb99tx likes this.

white '92 164 S (71K)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 02:49 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"One of the pulley's is making a bearing noise"

If ANY pulley bearing is making any noise, replace, period. It's talking to you about feeling ill.
jeffb99tx and goats like this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 04:45 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Sadly, the one bearing I had go out was the serp belt idler bearing in the 91S, in Nowhere, Wyoming, where it had been run hot for hours at speed. No chance to hear it start to shout at me. If I had stopped for a pee or anything else, I would have heard it, but no chance when running hot at ~4000 +/-1500 rpm on mountain roads for several hours. The pulley had been in the car for a few years, and the lube was evidently pretty bad/toasted. All I found were the two races, and of course, a tired but intact belt.

Now I take a quick listen every time I stop, and also carry a spare pulley and belt, plus the tools specific for changing it. Can be done in 1/2 hour or less, side of road. Better yet, change to a new one before any long trip, lol.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 11-08-2018 at 04:50 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Pinino. The Continental Elite looks like the best solution and I will order one. Also, thanks everyone for the advise on the pulley bearing noise. I put the car in the garage when I heard that noise. Mechanic will take care of all of these.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff B.
Dallas, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode