For sale 164 12v Cloverleaf Project. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

For sale 164 12v Cloverleaf Project.

My car is for sale.

Pics, I will try and add some more when I get a chance.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Mr7i5c61N29Xx9yMA

Exhaust is propped up in the pictures as I have removed the rubbers to source replacements.

It has not been used since 2005/6

The car has been garaged for most of that time.

It is NOT on the road, it would be a project for someone.

As of today the things I know it needs are a fuel pump, drivers door mirror mount (I fell over while gardening), drivers door handle (pulled too hard on a frosty morning), a tyre (just went flat one day and refused to pump back up), timing belt and clutch master and slave cylinders and the drivers side bonnet hinge. I am sure I have missed something.....it is a project.

The story.....in 2005 one day my Dad went to move the car on the driveway and the clutch pedal just went to floor and never came back. I also had a SAAB 9000 Turbo as well so car was pushed into the garage to be dealt with another day.

Each year from then on I just gave it a yearly start and check over.

After 7 years the battery gave up.

After about 8 years a tyre went flat and would not pump back up.

The next year while outside of the garage I fell over while gardening, slipped down the car and took the mirror clean off.

The next year after pushing the car out of the garage in April I went to open the drivers door one frosty morning and the door handle broke.

About 2 years ago the car would not start for the first time ever. I opened the bonnet to take a look and the drivers side bonnet hinge broke. After some checking around I traced the problem to the fuel pump. I removed it from the tank and what had happened was the rubber pipes on it had disintegrated through age.

I then planned to sort it all and get it running and back on the road .........but just do not have the time. Virtually everything I have listed has happened while not even using the car so have reluctantly decided to let it go.

It needs a battery (80) and fuel pump (the whole unit + fuel level float which are 100-150) and that should start the car.
At that point it really needs a timing belt (25), after this amount of time running it without one would be a mistake.

Then the clutch needs sorting, a brand new master and slave cylinder (50+25) The actual clutch was new just prior to the master/slave failure.

At this point you can get a tyre or use the spare and the car will drive and you can look to getting it legal.

There are 2 x thumb sized rust bubbles on the rear arch, also a thumb sized small hole that needs sorting but it is hidden inside door and under trim. The worst issue with the paint is a small patch of rust next to windscreen. One of the last things I had done was a new windscreen so I am guessing they damaged the paint.

There are no paintwork dents apart from some small rubs on the bumper corners, this car has survived countless car park visits. (using two spaces helped)

Car needs a good clean and polish.

I could write forever about the money spent on this car but around 35,000 miles ago the car had a complete engine rebuild by Alan Bennet @ Benalfa with no expense spared. The engine was fully balanced, the heads were gas flowed and ported at John Wilcox competition engines in Nuneaton and a set of Autodelta fast road cams fitted.

I had a 6 Speed box conversion using the same box as fitted to the Alfa 166 at the time.

It also has a full Stainless Powerflow exhaust system which ends in 2 pairs of 3" pipes out the back. (not fandango, looks like it could be original)

The active suspension was still working last time it was used.

Like I say I could go on forever.

It is a 1993 12v Cloverleaf with 150K it is 25 years old and my car for 22 of them and I am selling it as a project.

Car service book was fully stamped right up until it went into storage. Lots of paperwork, the engine work alone was 6000.

I will let it go for 5000 and if you are interested please feel free to arrange a viewing.

I used to take this car to car shows and it would draw a crowd and that was 15 years ago. I can only imagine what it would be like now. I often just used to nip to the shops and someone would approach me to ask about the car. I was pulled over by the Police one day and they apologised as it was only so they could have a closer look and ask about the vehicle. I swore I would never sell my baby so this is a rare opportunity.

When I last used it I had a classic car insurance policy with an agreed value of 12,000.

Contact Justin - [email protected]

Thank you for taking the time to look.

Update - I have sorted the bonnet hinge which makes quality of life so much better. I will try and source the fuel pump to get her heart beating next, time permitting.

Alfa 164 cloverleaf 12v
Full engine balance @ benalfa
Heads done @ john wilcox competition engines
Autodelta cams
Full 4x3" exit stainless, no cat, no mid box
Poly bushes
Green cotton filter
6 speed box (from gtv)
Highpower systems nitrous injection

Last edited by alphalvr; 07-12-2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Updated info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Gold Subscriber

Wow it's beautiful, good luck selling to a good home.

Ta,

Neville.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 04:44 AM

Let me just say nice car not shore about the other exhaust

I think your on the Wong page mate ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Wrong page? I will hang the exhaust back up and take another photo. It sounds awesome without ruining the quality of the drive. The genuine twin pipe Alfa unit used to rust away after 24 months which was ridiculous.
I will be sorry to see it go if someone takes it. Thank you for your comments.

ps it is a project, you can use any exhaust you want

Added a couple more photos showing the worst bits, car still looks great imo
Added a couple of photos and a short video from before it went into storage. (and yes the car was at operating temp when I rev it)

Alfa 164 cloverleaf 12v
Full engine balance @ benalfa
Heads done @ john wilcox competition engines
Autodelta cams
Full 4x3" exit stainless, no cat, no mid box
Poly bushes
Green cotton filter
6 speed box (from gtv)
Highpower systems nitrous injection

Last edited by alphalvr; 07-10-2018 at 10:58 AM. Reason: more photos and video added

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode