New Guy with a 164S - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 10:14 AM

RL Iíll send you a pm with email. I never got onto YouTube. The world is probably better off. Give me a week or so, as Iím away on vacation.

Just one more note on the CSC...mine was polished although it was pictured in black from the vendor and manufacturer. This wasnít an issue for me.

For rust, Iím sure youíll spot anything apparent. The rear quarter can rust out at the fuel filler area. I had a hole through the drivers rear door jamb (lower portion). Sills ended up fine though. There are 4 cylindrical shaped jack points. Check those out on the underside, along with the mounting points for the rear trailing arms. The rear subframe as you mentioned as well. I think youíll get a sense right away of what youíve got to work with.

John
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L, 1993 Ford 5.0L Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 11:03 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I'm the weird one here. For many reasons but mainly in that my 164 is a 4 cylinder model with roll up windows, no A/C and such. She lives with me here in Italy and we met by accident... in the lot where I work. Looked neat so I bought it for a song and it had a bad exhaust system. I put a CSC unit on it and am pleased with it tho the 4 banger can't equate to the sound of the 6 bangers!! Slowly over the years I've pretty much rebuilt the car and there is no where I wouldn't jump in her and go. I think when you get her home and figure out what it's about, you'll achieve a sense of direction. This BB is a great place to come to fret and such. Several of us have met at various places around the world and this is by far the best aspect of owning the car. Well that I I really enjoy chasing down NOS parts and such.

You sound excited and this is Great!!! Welcome to the fold. Cap'n Steve is in charge of the ship of fools. I'm with John - tho not sure what rust is - I understand it's something you need to look for on these cars. Ciao, Chris
Attached Images

Alfissimo Int. and RexCars like this.

Maintaining my tenuous strain on reality.
89 164 2l Twin Spark, 2011 Tonka Dump

Recently added: an 89 75 (Milano) 1.6 litre w/44K on the klok.

Past loves:
79 Alfetta GTV w/Spica, my 1st Alfa

An 88 Graduate. Not really love but interesting nonetheless.

A 68 BMW 1602 - man do I regret letting that one go!

79 Scirroco, ex plowed into an illegally parked house with it...
post #33 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

@Alfissimo Int. - It sounds like that may be my best route, saves me from making a custom pipe, and gives me that extra sound. Since I plan on having it as a fun family cruiser, I'm sure the wife and kids will appreciate it being muted somewhat. As for mileage and HP, I don't really care, I know real HP is gained in the motor (the one in my Golf is bored out, Wiesco pistons, Techtonics cam), and maybe I'll do that someday, but for now stock is good.

@Spitfire - Thanks much appreciated. Polished is good, but if that black is available even better, guess I will see when ready. Thanks for the heads up on the jack points, I will use them to get under the back, wasn't sure where I was gonna grab the car. I also have BendPak QuickJacks at home which makes it MUCH easier to work on the car, especially the exhaust. I built the whole race car on them.

@jc96 - Car love is car love. Even though its not a 6 cylinder its still an Alfa, and its yours and you take care of it. Very happy with this community so far, very welcoming. Guess you really need that when you have a car that can be tough to fix or find certain parts for.
Alfissimo Int. likes this.

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 12:05 PM

Garage
My 164L has the ANSA exhaust you are talking about. It's a very nice note not to loud and not to quite. Although I wouldn't mind it a tad bit louder.
post #35 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 12:24 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
@Alfissimo Int. - It sounds like that may be my best route, saves me from making a custom pipe, and gives me that extra sound. Since I plan on having it as a fun family cruiser, I'm sure the wife and kids will appreciate it being muted somewhat. As for mileage and HP, I don't really care, I know real HP is gained in the motor (the one in my Golf is bored out, Wiesco pistons, Techtonics cam), and maybe I'll do that someday, but for now stock is good.

@Spitfire - Thanks much appreciated. Polished is good, but if that black is available even better, guess I will see when ready. Thanks for the heads up on the jack points, I will use them to get under the back, wasn't sure where I was gonna grab the car. I also have BendPak QuickJacks at home which makes it MUCH easier to work on the car, especially the exhaust. I built the whole race car on them.

@jc96 - Car love is car love. Even though its not a 6 cylinder its still an Alfa, and its yours and you take care of it. Very happy with this community so far, very welcoming. Guess you really need that when you have a car that can be tough to fix or find certain parts for.
I agree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.
post #36 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, so one last question for now.

As I said earlier I am planning to do the right thing for my cousin here and pay her for the car a fair value. After doing a bit of research I think $3000 seems like the right number. Working under the assumption that mechanically its good to go and it only needs paint and some interior work. What do you all think of that number?

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #37 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 08:15 AM

Garage
I would think you're right in the ball park with that figure, I've seen some 164S going for around that much.
Rogue Leader likes this.
post #38 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 07:17 PM

Watch out for those rusted out jacking points. The front jacking points on my car are gonzo. Use the front subframe attachment points instead. Large surface area and bolted up to the bottom of the firewall, immensely strong.

Rear jacking points don't rust out quite so easily. If they do then there's bodywork lift points quite close which do not rust out. Or use the rear trailing arm mounting points, very robust. Or the central rear jacking point in front of the rear bumper where European shops without post lifts would jack up the rear of the car. Use a jack with adequate lift capacity if you use the centreline jacking points as you are lifting almost 50% of the car's weight.

Lifting at rusted out jacking points just crushes the rusted out metal making the damage worse.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new

Last edited by Michael Smith; 06-27-2018 at 07:19 PM.
post #39 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:31 PM

Those front and rear central lifting points make the car great to put up on stands.

Itís tough to advise on value without seeing pics and knowing what has been maintained.

Some decent looking cars with fair amount of mechanical repair seem to sell around that point and less. Tough dealing with family. I think I paid my cousin a bit too much for mine, but we didnít starve and I think Iím on track for the same retirement date.

John
post #40 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Not really sure it's rust that kills them more so than if they are not lifted on correctly they get damaged. The fronts need to be lifted on fairly precisely or they can rip off the sheet metal. Ask me how I know! Rear lift points are perfect. I just lift front on subframe either front corners and rear corners or even in the front center subframe. Never had an issue with those. Rear also has a center lift right behind the spare tire well area.

I can lift car from front center and rear center with two jacks in a heartbeat.

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.
post #41 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 01:06 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

The forward side jacking points on the Milano are basically the same. The jack has to be oriented just right or you can push at least one end of the jacking point up into the floor. Poor design.
Alfissimo Int. likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #42 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 04:19 PM

FWD Alfa? Pass. Do what you need to do to put the GTV in your garage. Value will go up. 164 value sinking sinking like a bag of bricks.
post #43 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadster View Post
FWD Alfa? Pass. Do what you need to do to put the GTV in your garage. Value will go up. 164 value sinking sinking like a bag of bricks.
Apples and oranges.

John
post #44 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 05:03 PM

Pads for New Guy 164S

When I had an S, I was very happy with Porterfield R4S pads. Their R4 pads take too long to heat up for the road.

949-548-4470, or 800-537-6842, www.porterfield-brakes.com

Porterfield is in Costa Mesa. They will mail the pads to you.

'84 GTV-6 (modified for track)
'74 Spider (almost new)
post #45 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:58 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"FWD Alfa? Pass. Do what you need to do to put the GTV in your garage. Value will go up. 164 value sinking sinking like a bag of bricks. "

Haven't driven one, huh? Better in some respects than a few of the earlier Alfas I've owned and driven through the decades.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode