Hose with a hole - gas spray - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Hose with a hole - gas spray

I noticed a gas smell in the cabin so figured something was leaking under the hood or somewhere. Sure enough, a hose has developed a pin hole right below or under the clamp, and is spraying a little premium gasserooni. Is this hose easy enough to replace? The one with the blue writing on it.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:24 AM

Not exactly easy but not too much trouble. The current hose above in the photo has the wrong kind of clamp for fuel injection. Make sure you buy the correct High pressure fuel injection hose. Its not cheap and I don't recall if its 6.5 or 7 mm EDIT top hose says 7.9mm? . Buy proper fuel injection hose clamps for both DO NOT drive the car until you get it fixed unless you like car fire.

EDIT -- that hose is not far enough up on the barb, no wonder its leaking EDIT it looks like the return hose not the supply side and the hose also looks very short. I think its replacement time for that

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car

Last edited by goats; 11-22-2017 at 09:28 AM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

I wonder if i can push it higher and clamp ... then drive to the Alfa place. I drove it to and from work yesterday LOL. Leaking like a sieve the whole time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckevin View Post
I wonder if i can push it higher and clamp ... then drive to the Alfa place. I drove it to and from work yesterday LOL. Leaking like a sieve the whole time.
DO NOT try to drive with a fuel leak. The consequences can be fatal. Not probably but how lucky do you want to be?

If the hose is actually leaking between the inner liner and the hard line I agree you can back off the clamp, push the hose all the way onto the hard line and clamp above the bulb in the hard line. The bulb is there to prevent the hose from creeping before it begins leaking. If the clamp works loose the hose should leak before it moves far enough to actually disconnect. In your situation you're just a very lucky man. That hose is not far off falling off entirely, then you'd see some fireworks!

If the hose is actually leaking do not attempt to drive the car, tow it and inform the tow truck driver of the hazard.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Ha ... I know I'm fortunate. I wouldn't have driven it had I known of the leak. However, I've always loved fireworks.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
I noticed a gas smell in the cabin so figured something was leaking under the hood or somewhere. Sure enough, a hose has developed a pin hole right below or under the clamp, and is spraying a little premium gasserooni. Is this hose easy enough to replace? The one with the blue writing on it.
Leaking hose with wrong style clamp is 40-50 psi fuel pressure hose that is hooked to inlet of fuel damper incorrectly.

Also looks like there isn't any clamp on gas return hose attached to bottom of fuel pressure regulator does not even have a clamp on it

From what I can see in pix it looks like wrong clamps on short hose going between fuel rails, too or at least on end closet toe front head.

Also check short hose and clamps between fuel rails on front of engine for wrong clamps and damaged hose ends.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 11-22-2017 at 01:00 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate the input. But ****...

Will get 'er fixed obviously.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 01:12 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Appreciate the input. But ****...

Will get 'er fixed obviously.
Here is an example of correct fuel injection system hose clamps no worm gears to cut into rubber.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/6780769-post8.html

Hose should be SAE30R9 7.5mm ID but 7.9mm ID (5/16") will work if correctly size/designed clamps are used.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 11-22-2017 at 01:17 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Excellent, excellent. Happy Thanksgiving.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 01:45 PM

I'm running these pinch clamps from McMaster Carr and they seem to hold up fine. https://www.mcmaster.com/#52545k53/=1adclwl
And the fuel line from Centerline https://www.centerlinealfa.com/catalog/fuel-line-75-mm

If you're in a bind, I think I have some length of hose and clamps in the trunk of my 164 in Bothell.

Scott Catlin
1993 Alfa Romeo 164S
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Scatlin, that would be amazing. I'm in Kirkland. You around over the next 4 days?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 01:48 PM

the bottom of the FPR looks like an original Oetiker clamp. ALL clamps for all fuel lines need to be either original Oetiker or proper FI clamps as steve posted

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 01:50 PM

I'm gone tomorrow, but back in the area Friday. Let me look in the car and confirm what I have and I'll PM you my contact info.

Scott Catlin
1993 Alfa Romeo 164S
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 02:22 PM

Although correct clamps are preferred it actually isn't essential. The leak resistance is provided by the liner compound, the burst strength is provided by fibre reinforcement (as for tires) and the external cover is well up to withstanding a bit of penetration by screw type clamps. Remember that the portion of the hose under the clamp is not subject to any line pressure unless the clamp backs off. In that event the pressure leaks out the open end of the hose rather than inducing a rupture in the hose itself.

I do recommend double clamping the hoses though. Until I did that mine seeped fuel chronically. Not enough to wet the hoses but enough to create that unpleasant aroma. The seepage occurred when the engine was very cold and stopped as the coolant heated up.

Correct clamps equalize the pressure around the hard pipe. Worm types have to be overtightened to ensure enough pressure is exerted all around the hard pipe. Double clamping with one clamp offset from the other helps with this deficiency of worm type clamps.

Those worm type clamps are really useless for any automotive function involving restraint of pressure. Euro style spring clips are preferred, if you have the nifty instal/removal tool. Otherwise the pad type band clamps pictured in the link are definitely preferred for sealing pressurized connections, if you have them to hand.

Here's a good explanation of the three common types of high pressure fuel hose clamps in common use. You can see the worm drive is the least desirable. I have them on my car!

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new

Last edited by Michael Smith; 11-22-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode