Car Damaged or Let the Restoration Begin! - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Car Damaged or Let the Restoration Begin!

Hello colleagues,

My 17 year old son rear ended someone while driving my LS on his way to school. He is fine and the other car had very little damage. It appears the Alfa took the brunt of the damage. It was heart breaking for me. I had them tow the car to my house and I just parked it with the cover on it. I could not look at it for a while. I called USAA and after initial comments that they may total the car, their estimator said it was fixable and have agreed to pay for the repairs.

I found a reputable European car body shop near my office and he actually has a 164L as a project car at his facility. That made me feel better as he can use that car for base measurements if needed. I have also engaged him to replace a damaged passenger door and to go ahead and paint the rest of the car. So let the restoration begin!

Now the search for parts. I gave him phone numbers for Jason at Alfissimo, De Fatta Brothers and APE. We will need chrome strips for the front and the right side, a fender, a hood as well as other trim items. Anyone have ideas on where to find such parts?

I also want to swap over to the European style head lights. I have followed Frank's postings and it appears there are none available at this time. If anyone has any ideas or has some, let me know.

The timing for the restoration was not what I was hoping for as my son is getting ready to attend Louisiana State University as a freshman this fall. However, after this happened, we received a very generous scholarship discount from LSU. I am very blessed in many ways. After the body work is done, on to the interior shop to have them replace my front seat covers and possibly repair the passenger side one as well. Hopefully by the end of the summer, the car should look brand new.

I will keep you updated on progress and send along any tips or suggestions on parts.

Cheers everyone.

Jeff
Dallas, Texas
Attached Images

Jeff B.
Dallas, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

It might be cheaper to buy a parts car.

I purchased one for $750.

Check around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Awww. Sorry to see that. Automatic emergency braking cannot come too soon. Don't know what caused this one, though.

The worst part to find will be that shiny trim strip on top of the front bumper. Years ago diFatta was able to get me new side strips for my LS, so might try them., or Jason (Alfissimo), both getting shipments from Italy. Luckily, the front bumper otherwise looks to be undamaged. Lucky for that.

Don't worry about the European headlights until the other work is finished. As compared to what Frank is using (Elmas?), most use Bosch, which are more available from Europe one way or the other. Sad to say, the exorbitant shipping costs from OZ kinda negate purchasing the Bosch being offered from there. However, they are available there as well. Those will be right hand drive (as will be the ones from GB), but they can be changed to left hand drive by rotating the internal cutoff shield. It's held tight by a screw in a slotted hole.
jeffb99tx likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 03-01-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:20 PM
Gold Subscriber

Jeff, sorry to hear it. Glad no one was hurt. Post pictures when it's done. Cory
jeffb99tx likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:08 AM

I have all those parts. Really straight and rust free.

The question is how to get them to you.

I'm happy to wrench this weekend, it will be sunny for once.

My champagne colored LS was rear ended so the front is still perfect.

Again, I promise I'll be cheaper than all the others listed, but getting the parts to a shipper might be the most difficult part of this. I don't know shipping and am limping these days.

Call me at 503-267-2800 so we can hash this out.

"Cruisin' down the street in my 164" - Easy E
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thumbs up

jeffb99tx,

It appears that robvolz has been added to your list of blessings.

I wonder who's responsible for that?!

Ray
jeffb99tx likes this.

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:09 AM

I get to Tulsa frequently. Ever drink at the Cellar Dweller? My best friend owns that. His brother has the Crystal Pistol and Mom has Tucci's.

I will look you up next time I'm in town.
Robert

"Cruisin' down the street in my 164" - Easy E
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:36 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Hey,

Let me know when you'll be in town. I would enjoy a get together

Ray

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update: the body shop has received authorization to fix the car as more damage was found once the hood was opened up. I am still looking for the front chrome strip if anyone has any leads on such item.

Body shop had sprayed the underside of the new hood and I swear it looked almost black in color. He assured me it is the dark blue factory color. I sure hope so.

Cheers everyone,

Jeff

Jeff B.
Dallas, TX
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Status update: all of the parts have been secured and it appears that the body work has been completed. They are preparing it for paint, which will probably be next week. Big thanks out to the suppliers including Jason, Di Fatta Brothers, Frank in Portland and even Vick Auto Sport. It has new European headlights, a new rear passenger door and a driver's mirror that has been well prepared so that it should not rust away like the old one.

Once paint is done, it's off to my mechanic to get the engine running. Then off to interior shop for some work on my drivers seat covering. It will cost some coin but it is still way less expensive than an a new Giulia.

Photos coming when it gets out of the body shop.

Cheers.

Jeff B.
Dallas, TX
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Bummer!!!! Of course that dang chrome piece is going to be a *****. I do have things, front bumper etc... if needed. I have access to chrome piece in Italy. Headlights and more. Have insurance call me. I can help get you all you need.

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.

Last edited by Alfissimo Int.; 04-20-2017 at 01:21 PM.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:14 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Also I can do the euro lights too. More items with me more discount I can provide.

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:40 PM

I had the same damage on my LS, no one would ship a hood so I ended up buying a parts unit....the parts unit comes in handy a lot....far beyond the needed replacement parts...small items..missing bolts, incorrect bolts, things like wiper motors, a relay, whatever if you can store one it will save hassle and money in the long run..
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Yup, once bent, esp back just ahead of the hinges at the "safety" locations, the laws in the US anyway will not allow the hood to be repaired, must be replaced. And if a reclamation/wrecking location won't ship a used hood (I spect they would if you paid through the nose for it), buying a parts car may be the only option if the hood cannot be transported privately.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfissimo Int. View Post
Also I can do the euro lights too. More items with me more discount I can provide.
Hi Jason. You already did and they look great! That should be a big improvement over the stock ones.

Thank you for all your help on this.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff B.
Dallas, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode