Car Damaged or Let the Restoration Begin! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Yup, once bent, esp back just ahead of the hinges at the "safety" locations, the laws in the US anyway will not allow the hood to be repaired, must be replaced. And if a reclamation/wrecking location won't ship a used hood (I spect they would if you paid through the nose for it), buying a parts car may be the only option if the hood cannot be transported privately.
The body shop I selected actually had a 1991 L as a "project car". The shop owner says he is looking for a replacement engine to get this car back up and running. A very optimistic statement based on what I saw. He ended up selling me his hood for my 1994, at a good price for him I am sure. That is how we worked that out.

I just hope they can get everything to fit once the painting is done. A few of the doors are sagging a bit and the hood fits very close to the windshield wiper (like that all do).

Thanks.

Jeff B.
Dallas, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:24 AM
Platinum Subscriber

haha. I must be in lala land.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update: Car wrecked in February, came out of body shop in April and went to mechanic. Turns out that the timing belt skipped 3 notches during the hit and then shut off. Valves were bent on the front 3 cylinders. Don't ask me how that is even possible as I do not know. Mechanic repaired front head with lots of new parts including values and guides, gasket and head was planed. He installed the new headlights (thanks Jason!), secured the radiator and transmission oil cooler. He also cleaned up the wiring that was just hanging there, fixed the AC and alternator, and secured the front bumper chrome strip that was also hanging loose. Lastly, he cleaned up the panel gaps for the hood and one of the passenger doors I had replaced, and adjusted my sagging drivers door. Overall he did a lot of work. Insurance company would not pay for the mechanical work as they had already paid up the $6,900 they thought the car was worth. I paid off the mechanic and the car is now going back to the body shop for them to fix some below par work they did on a few items. They should be done in a few weeks. I will send over photos when it gets done.

In hindsight, it probably should have been totaled. My advice for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation is if you can, wait about 3 to 4 months before you make your decision if you want to spend the extra funds to fix something that should have been totaled. The time will allow the emotional attachment to diminish and you can then make a more rational decision. Thanks for all who sold me parts, gave advise and just plain moral support. I believe after driving it again, the emotional attachment will return. It does look really good with the new paint and the Bosch headlamps, and it is running very well.

Cheers.

Jeff
Alfissimo Int. likes this.

Jeff B.
Dallas, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 06:16 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I have a NOS front chrome strip if someone still needs one.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 07:46 AM
Platinum Subscriber

It's only money. And even with the extra expense that came out of pocket, where are you going to find a car you like as much?
Alfissimo Int. and jeffb99tx like this.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
It's only money. And even with the extra expense that came out of pocket, where are you going to find a car you like as much?
I agree, but I was seriously looking at 10 year old Quattroportes. They are such beautiful cars but have never driven one.

Cheers.

Jeff B.
Dallas, TX
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 05:41 PM
Gold Subscriber

Jeff you probably did spend way too much especially if the insurance settlement did not cover everything.
However, it is done and that dubious investment should be enjoyed as you go forward.
Thing is these cars return so much pleasure when they do go well.
I bet you still find value in your dollars spent on that car.
Try and find anything similar new for less than 50K.
Stay away from "10 year old Quattroportes"......big money there....

Ta,

Neville.
jeffb99tx likes this.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The repairs are almost all done and here is a photograph of the final product taken at the ItalianCarFest 2017 by another photographer. I went ahead and had the whole body resprayed and it looks great. More photos to follow when I get some time and find a suitable background.

Cheers everyone.

Jeff
Attached Images

Allan and Sune Karlsson like this.

Jeff B.
Dallas, TX
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 06:47 AM

Looking good
jeffb99tx likes this.

Red 1991 164S, Black 1991 164S, Red 1987 Milano, 1972 Berlina, 1973 Berlina rebuilding SPICA engine
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 07:25 AM

Good story with a happy outcome. That 164 looks like a forever car.
jeffb99tx likes this.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Richard2 and Zenhead. While I was the only 164 in the show, mine was not the only 164 there. Cmalfa came by and we had a great time catching up on car stories and I got to see his '91. There is still some over-spray in the engine bay that needs to be polished out. I really like the headlight upgrade. They are much brighter. I also swapped out my driver's side front seat covers with a spare cover I had accumulated almost 7+ years ago. I will definitely be keeping this car for a few more years.

I will get some more photos posted in a few weeks. We are heading to Baton Rouge to see my son at LSU this weekend, so no opportunities for Alfa photos.

Cheers everyone.

Jeff B.
Dallas, TX
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 06:25 PM
Gold Subscriber

It's beautiful......none of my cars look that good.
Enjoy!

Ta,

Neville.
jeffb99tx likes this.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 07:28 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by donliznev View Post
It's beautiful......none of my cars look that good.
Enjoy!

Ta,

Neville.
Ditto!

VM
jeffb99tx likes this.

Help is always close at hand...

1991 white 164L "Spinor"
1986 white Spider Graduate "8 Legs"
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon (needs a little love)
1998 Subaru Forester (emergency temporary ride)
1986 Ford F250 - farm rig
1977 Chevy Silverado - retired from the concrete mines
in a constant state of repair: not one, but 2, 1968 Rover P6s
needing a new home: 1975 Black Cadillac 6-door limo
27' Ericson
18' Precision daysailer
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Is that LS a dark blue? Looks like it. Love that color, wish our champagne LS was blue. Have driven a light metallic blue, but haven't see a dark blue.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes Del. It is dark blue with tan interior, one of my favorite color combinations. There are some minor panel fitting items on the nose but it was smashed very hard. Overall they did a good job getting everything to fit.

Photos to come.

Thanks everyone.

Jeff B.
Dallas, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode