Glovebox Woes - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Glovebox Woes

I have always had trouble with my glovebox since I have owned my 95Q. The latch mechanism would will constantly get stuck with the latch stuck in the 'up' position with the glovebox closed. To fix this condition I would remove the passenger side air vent and pull out the wiring harness and connections and reach into the dash area and find a ring and thin cable. Pulliing on the ring and cable would open the glovebox. Well, last weekend I was going through this process again and this time it got worse. The thin cable broke when I pulled it and now I have no way of opening my glovebox and my latch is stuck in the 'up' position. I am tempted to drill a hole in the glovebox door near the latch in order to open it. Is there a better method to open my glovebox?

Black 1987 Spider Quad
Black 1995 164Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 02:05 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
That 95 164 with passenger air bag glove box is a different animal than 91-94 models.

Myron's 95LS glove box door was forever sticking closed. Brute force on lever and wide flat pry bar between top of door and dash usually made it open for me.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 04:28 PM

Once you get it open I think the fix is to carefully remove material from the very points of the two spring latches so they don't hang up in the corresponding holes. My mechanic did this in the PDI for my car in 1991 before I put my plate on it. He was already tired of this complaint and the dealership had only delivered five cars by then!

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got it open. A large flat screwdriver, moving the latch up and down and pulling down hard on the glovebox door got it open. I removed everything and tried to leave the door a little open such that the glovebox light would go off, but I raised it a little too much and it latched again. I'll leave like that for now. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Black 1987 Spider Quad
Black 1995 164Q
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 08:21 PM

Yeah PM me if u think u need a replacement. Pretty sure there's one in the stash somewhere. I don't use the darn thing myself like most of the bits since they are Italian fragile ( like don't let the wife use the sliding pass side visor mirror cause it WILL break) etc
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 01:52 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goats View Post
Yeah PM me if u think u need a replacement. Pretty sure there's one in the stash somewhere. I don't use the darn thing myself like most of the bits since they are Italian fragile ( like don't let the wife use the sliding pass side visor mirror cause it WILL break) etc
Bob his 164 is 95 with passenger airbag so glove box different that 91-94 models.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 07:25 AM

Yep pretty sure (not 100% tho) that I have one if needed-//
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the offer. Now that everything is out I will just leave it as is until I get the urge to make it better.

Black 1987 Spider Quad
Black 1995 164Q
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Well...I got the urge to make my glove box better. I used large screw driver to open my glove box again. I took a look around and was able to see a few things. I believe my glove box is getting stuck because the striker/pin/bolt (blue circle first pic) slides past the metal plate (red circle first pic) and gets hooked behind the plate. The striker/pin/bolt is supposed to push the plate back which causes 2 other pins at the rear of the glove box to recede (faint black pin inside red circle second pic) and disengage with the glove box which will allow it to swing down and open. I am thinking that I need to adjust the location of the metal plate (not sure this is possible) or make the metal plate a little larger (maybe with some rubber that will not allow striker/pin/bolt to slide off the metal plate and get hooked behind the plate or apply rubber tip to striker/pin/bolt to make it larger such that it cannot slide off and behind metal plate). I cannot see a left side pin at the rear of the glove recede when I push in on the plate, but I can see the right side pin move in (recede) and move out.
Attached Images

Black 1987 Spider Quad
Black 1995 164Q
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to ask about the plastic buttons and cords (first pic green circle). I am not sure where they should be attached. Anyone know???

Black 1987 Spider Quad
Black 1995 164Q
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:36 PM

Easy fix. Did this to mine after getting tired of using the screwdriver method. Consider that the latch is pushed rearwards, not upwards when opening. Ir does NOT matter if you adjust the length of the rod as the problem is the rod will get stuck underneath the plastic facing on the latch plate. That's why it sticks. I wrote this up a year back and added pictures but here goes:
Open it. Remove plastic cover from latch plate. Rivet on a small piece of metal that extends DOWNWARDS at least 1/4 inch (as long as it clears the plastic opening), enjoy the rest of your day. Old write up is here. Hope it helps (and this is a 95 ls, not certain it pertains to all models).
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164...iass-tool.html
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_87spiderquad View Post
I forgot to ask about the plastic buttons and cords (first pic green circle). I am not sure where they should be attached. Anyone know???
They are just travel limiters to restrain the glovebox from straining its hinges by dropping open to its full extent. The strings on mine were cut early on in the cars life with no ill effect. Mind you I release the glovebox while supporting the door to some degree. I don't generally press the button and let the door drop completely unrestrained.

The ends of the cords should have plugs which insert into holes in the sides of the opening. They probably won't stay put.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L 5 spd
White on grey leather 230K km, owned from new
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:42 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
The 95 164 glove is different from 91-94 models because of passenger side air bag on 95 models.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode