French Fogs- Tempted - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 06:20 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

It's interesting that rear fog lights are not available on US manufactured cars, only on some European makes such as our Alfas. Some models of Alfas had them disconnected even if the general equipment was there in the tail light setups. Evidently they were illegal at one time or another in this country.

Same I think for yellow headlights. I remember that in the 60's/70's when French cars were available here, yellow headlights were not allowed, white light being required and installed.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Yes, on my VW touareg the rear fog is disconnected, I have to run a Euro switch and run 1 wire to the rear lamp harness. Pretty simple but still should just be standard equip. But I suppose most do not understand the function of both front and rear fogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatlin View Post
I added yellow Lamin-x to my stock fogs and it looks great plus adds some protection. I might see if I can source yellow bulbs too, since the emitted light is a little pale yellow with the clear bulbs.
It will look good but will not function properly. Daniel Stern told me the bulbs are useless and film reduces lumens up to 20%. Plus passing light through a yellow film will not give the proper yellow hue needed, a proper yellow light must come from a clear bulb used with a yellow reflector such as the OEM ones (french) are. But since fogs are useless it really does not matter. haha

Correction: "There are many ways of making a "proper" yellow lamp. Can be clear bulb behind bulb shield and in front of yellow reflector, can be clear bulb and colourless reflector behind yellow lens, can be clear bulb inside yellow glass balloon with colourless reflector and lens..." Daniel Stern

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.

Last edited by Alfissimo Int.; 09-12-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 07:18 PM

It would be interesting to know how dealers or manufacturers have cars fit out by state or whatever area. I have no idea how they do it. It seems like a real hassle to order a car per your own standards.

I haven't needed fog lights in 19 years of driving in CT! I can remember one trip in the late 80s with my parents where they might have helped. But that was in an Olds Delta 88, so a multitude of things may have helped!

John
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L, 1993 Ford 5.0L Mustang
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 08:31 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"It would be interesting to know how dealers or manufacturers have cars fit out by state or whatever area. I have no idea how they do it. It seems like a real hassle to order a car per your own standards:

Most of this is Federal regulations, not state by state.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfissimo Int. View Post
It will look good but will not function properly. Daniel Stern told me the bulbs are useless and film reduces lumens up to 20%. Plus passing light through a yellow film will not give the proper yellow hue needed, a proper yellow light must come from a clear bulb used with a yellow reflector such as the OEM ones (french) are. But since fogs are useless it really does not matter. haha
Yep, the fog lights are truly useless once you have Bosch headlights installed. Those are the best investment in lighting you can make, so my yellow fogs are purely cosmetic.

Scott Catlin
1993 Alfa Romeo 164S
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
The fog lights make good DRL's to help you be seen.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 06:50 AM

..the nice thing about the yellow foglamps is that they look cool without even being turned on

Almost any foglamp I've ever used has been pretty useless alright. Many years ago we had a Peugeot 405 that had decent foglamps.. the lenses eventually got smashed by stonechips, so the dealer replaced them with the updated units from the latest car.. which were, of course, useless.

Using foglights without headlights can occasionally be useful at very low speeds to "see under" heavy fog, but something to keep in mind is that it can give a misleading impression of your position to oncoming traffic.. lights closer to the ground can sometimes look farther away than they actually are to somebody expecting to see headlights at a standard height. I don't think low-mounted DRLs are a great idea either for the same reason, though most manufacturers these days seem to be moving them back to the headlight cluster again.

I have a pair of white pre-facelift foglamps here (Ireland) in decent condition if anyone is looking for them.. probably not worth it to ship to the US, but UK or EU should be reasonable enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode