Alfa 164 A/C Heater Blower Motor info - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Alfa 164 A/C Heater Core and Blower Motor info

Here is a bunch of stuff we have done on various cars so process is always evolving:

Latest things to be aware of:

1. Also removing windshield wiper motor assembly greatly adds clearance to get blower motor and heater core out of car.

Not sure if we spelled out removal procedure or not but not to hard to do. Remove black caps on wiper arm nuts, remove nuts, washers and arms. remove black caps on bolts near arm pivots, remove bolts/washers, remove metal bracket over right side pivot point, then remove hidden bolt above motor holding motor frame to cockpit wall.

You have to loosen round connector, remove connector round nut, slip out of metal bracket. Remove two nuts holding bracket to floor behind false firewall. remove black cover over blower motor relay.

Move wiper motor some and disconnect wiring connector to it and manipulate assembly until you work it out of car.

2. Once blower motor out inspect inside for foam liners sucked into squirell cage from inner walls of evaporator box.

3. Inspect inside evaporator box for loose foam linings and remove any if not firmly glued in place.

Well, Quik Silver's blower motor decided to do the bearing scream again and lubing motor's rear bearing in the car doesn't do a thing for front bearing.

Anyhow pulled blower motor housing and then took motor out of housing and found not only dry front bearing but worn commutator on armature of motor and brushes worn down to nub. Motor not really designed to come apart but I did it anyway since it was worn out.

I decided to order new Saab 9000 motor 9628587 without fan blade 9622556 (Bosch number for motor only is 0 130 111 007 or now 008) aka Alfa 60509926 w/fan blade according to parts CD. I bought new Saab motor off eBay last night.

This is a Saab 9000 assembly in your 164 as fan has Saab embossed on it and Saab part number 9622556 on it, too. I checked 3 of my old motors and fan blades all have Saab info on them.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 10-20-2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: correct Bosch part number
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 10:10 AM

Steve,

I think my 91L has the same problem. It squeals like a stuck pig most of the time and oiling the left side bearing only made me feel good as it changed the squeal not a bit.

Question is how hard to pull the blower unit out? It looks like a reasonably straight forward job. Anything tricky lingering abou that would be good to know about?

Thanks.
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Alfa 164 and Saab 9000 blower motor housing info

Both assemblies very similiar and can be easily interchanged.

Attached are some pictures of housing showing lever that stepper motor cable for temp control hooks to.

Lever all the way back for full heat doors open to heater core. Lever all the way forward full a/c doors closed to heater core.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Disassembled blower motor housing

Some picture of case opened up, flapper doors and lever, spring clips and screws for case and motor screws and last picture shows one hidden screw you need to remove after removing spring clips holding cases together to get case to split open.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 02-06-2007 at 10:31 AM.
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj7630 View Post
Steve,

I think my 91L has the same problem. It squeals like a stuck pig most of the time and oiling the left side bearing only made me feel good as it changed the squeal not a bit.

Question is how hard to pull the blower unit out? It looks like a reasonably straight forward job. Anything tricky lingering abou that would be good to know about?

Thanks.
This is a write up Bob and I did some time ago about how to do it and change heater core too if needed:

http://www.lexingtonma.net/users/BobC/blower.php This link dead now, sorry

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 10-18-2011 at 01:03 AM.
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

There is also a method for replacing the motor by cutting the plastic housing and lifting the motor out. After installation of the motor, reglue the removed half of the housing back into place. Search the 164 Digest for the discussion.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
That was Walter Forlini's right up on doing it that way.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:23 AM

Steve,
How do you get the fan blade off the motor? I am doing this same exact procedure of the 24V and have a new Bosch motor in hand and have not figured out how to remove fan blade off with out breaking it? My homemade puller for Milano style blades does not fit.

ANDREWG

73 GTV - new restoration project
82 GTV6 ITS #86
85 Spider Graduate
88 Milano Verde - needs a motor, hum...
91 164S Recaro
post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Just stand unit up in open jawed vise supporting base of fan bottom ring on vise jaws with motor laying over a infamous shop red rag for cushioning when it falls free of fan. Then use a drift punch and hammer and gently drive motor shaft down out of fan hub.

To install new motor just rest motor armature end with pal nut on it on solid surface and gently hammer fan hub onto new splined motor shaft until flush with end of shaft.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 02-07-2007 at 08:17 AM. Reason: spelling
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 08:20 PM

I can't believe how great the posts are on this site. The pictures, numbering and description on how to remove the blower motor are absolutely the best. You guys make so much easier to own and maintain my Alfa that I can almost convince myself that its not much more trouble than a Toyota!
post #11 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 08:39 PM

Steve,
I followed your directions and I was able to remove the fan blades without any issue. Great information that you provided.

ANDREWG

73 GTV - new restoration project
82 GTV6 ITS #86
85 Spider Graduate
88 Milano Verde - needs a motor, hum...
91 164S Recaro
post #12 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 03:49 AM

Quote:
I can almost convince myself that its not much more trouble than a Toyota
The 164 is better! The engines don't sludge up like the Toyotas do
And parts are usually cheaper
Paul

The meek shall inherit the rear view mirror.

Alfas owned/own!
81 GTV-6
83 GTV-6
86 GTV-6
87 Milano Gold
88 Milano Verde
91 164S
77 Alfetta sedan
79 Alfetta GTV(smooshed and ground up)
post #13 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Well, Quik Silver back up and running with new Saab 9000 blower motor I got from ebay seller www.eEuroParts.com They also sell Saab 9000 front motor mounts which will work in the 164. Also heater cores and front lower suspension arms.

New Bosch number is 0 130 111 008 for blower motor.

You have to remove fan and unlock connector from old motor to install them on new motor.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #14 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Then you have to install fan on new motor and plastic alignment strap.
Attached Images

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #15 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 06:55 AM

Is the blower motor the same unit in a 12V and 24V model????

[B]
[COLOR="Red"][U][B]Current Alfa's[/B][/U][/COLOR]
[B]1995 164LS[/B]
[B]1990 Spider Quad[/B]
[B]1986 GTV6[/B]
1971 GTV 1750[/B]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode