1991 alfa Romeo 164s 80k miles...... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

1991 alfa Romeo 164s 80k miles......

Does anyone know what an alfa Romeo 164s would sell for? Black, 80k miles, one owner, garaged, maintained, new tires, upgraded chip, leather interior, cherry red custom pin striping..... I am the original owner of this beautiful vehicle....I want my baby to go to someone who would appreciate her beautiful purr......paid $50k for her in 1991.... Anyone interested? Pictures upon request........serious inquires only!

Vehicle located in trophy club, tx......

[email protected]

Last edited by Txlizrd; 09-12-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:07 PM

You've been looking at it since 1991 and still haven't noticed the correct spelling?

Quote:
1991 alfa Romero 164s 80k miles
Does anyone know what an alfa Romero 164s would sell for? Black, 80k miles, one owner, garaged, maintained, new tires, upgraded chip, leather interior, cherry red custom pin striping..... I am the original owner of this beautiful vehicle....I want my baby to go to someone who would appreciate it.......paid $50k in 1991..
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

And....

And your point? Perhaps I am upset for letting my baby go.....serious inquiries only.......txlizrd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Wanna buy it?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:32 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Prices new 1991-95 164 models.

I missed the misspelling but an Alfa Romeo 164S for 50k in 91 was a rare one. My 164 base model stickered out at $25,035.00 and I still have the car and sticker.

One of my 164L models stickered out at $29.935.00.

I don't have a sticker on a 164S but ad page I have in file lists 164S for $30.970* and Motor Trend January 1991 tested one stickered at $31.333.

The 1994 price listed in an auto mag was $34.390 and as tested $35,815.
The 94 164Q listed for $38,055 as tested.

Don't have a price point on new 95 models but in the end they were giving $10 on LS -12K on Q discounts off them in mid 95 at ALGAR when I was on business in Philly. I think they were stickered at about $38-$40K. The white LS 5-speed they had on showroom floor was already sold or I would have jumped on the discounted price.

As for how to price out a nice 164S now whatever the market will bear. My son sold his for $3500 awhile back. I am rehabbing a black one now that will have about $10k worth of my sweat equity in it when finished but in reality will be worth to the right buyer far less.

Go to New Cars, Used Cars, Blue Book Values & Car Prices - Kelley Blue Book and enter your data on your 164S and then cry a little but don't sell it for that price - not even for their suggested retail price.

OBTW is the Mayor - still Connie White?

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 09-13-2011 at 01:53 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Nice to excellent "no issues" 91s go for anywhere from $4000-$6500 from what I've seen lately. However, from what I've experienced buying an "S" recently, "no issues" cars ALL have issues.

You might want to list it in the "For Sale" listings threads instead of here in the technical threads. Might get a few more lookers/buyers there that don't peruse the technical threads. Pictures, posted asking price, and correcting the typo with the original sale price will generate a lot more interest than being skimpy with details.

As you've seen, this is a pretty serious forum for Alfa enthusiasts. Most lookers on this forum are going to be pretty knowledgeable and serious buyers.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Last edited by Roadtrip; 09-13-2011 at 06:03 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Alfa romeo 164s 1991

When we purchased the catr the total with tax, tags, financing and a few upgrades, the price came out to around $50k.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Learning.....

Good idea.....i'm learning....first time on the site!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txlizrd View Post
When we purchased the catr the total with tax, tags, financing and a few upgrades, the price came out to around $50k.
If you mention the price new, everyone is going to assume sticker price. And almost everyone on this board knows that should have been around $30-32k, and even that is really irrelevant to the market value today. Inflating it to include tax, registration, financing costs (this is the first time I've every heard of any seller trying that) gives the appearance of deceptiveness to someone who knows pretty much what the original sticker price was.

The other part of this is your pool of potential buyers for such a uncommon and now unsupported (dealer network) car, may be from far away and they have to figure in shipping/retrieval costs. Good ones at a good price go quickly up in the Northeast. Inflated priced ones sit for a long time on eBay and Craigslist. I don't know about Dallas/Ft Worth market, but it's probably not as vibrant for Alfas as the NE. Anybody on this BB that's interested in buying an 164 is going to be a serious buyer. It's critical that you're completely upfront and honest about everything with the car. You don't need to pump it. A great car with a documented maintenance history will sell itself. Have the maintenance history, or better still, post the last timing belt change, if the AC system has been converted to R134, etc in your ad. The more detail you post in your ad, the more interest you'll attract from our BB members. Don't even think about posting "Serious buyers only" on this BB, as when I was looking I immediately dismissed those sellers as overpricing their cars and probably being generally a pain to deal with. I was a serious buyer, and I didn't need to be lectured to by some seller.

Post pictures (lots, including the driver's seat which gets the most wear, and any non-stock item like the pin-stripping), a price, and maintenance history (timing belt change) and have a Carfax/Autocheck report available to a potential buyer. That's what going to generate calls.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to hammer you here. I sounds like you've got a great, low-mileage S. I'd be great that a fellow BB member and "Alfisti" gets it.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Last edited by Roadtrip; 09-13-2011 at 07:15 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 10:53 AM

164 Pricing

For reference, my 91 S in excellent, rust-free condition, all original and everything working with 90K miles was valued at $3K by the insurance company after a tree branch landed on it. The price of front and rear glass and the dent in the roof made it easy for them to total the car. They told me I would be doing them a favor by keeping the car so they don't have to deal with its disposal. I found a very nice L for less than $2K and am transferring all the S parts over to it (except for the rear spoiler!).
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Thank you....

Thank you.....you geve me some valuable information. Txlizrd
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfahill View Post
For reference, my 91 S in excellent, rust-free condition, all original and everything working with 90K miles was valued at $3K by the insurance company after a tree branch landed on it. The price of front and rear glass and the dent in the roof made it easy for them to total the car. They told me I would be doing them a favor by keeping the car so they don't have to deal with its disposal. I found a very nice L for less than $2K and am transferring all the S parts over to it (except for the rear spoiler!).
Spoiler's one of my favorite things about my S. :P

Also, howdy Txlizrd, nice to see another from Texas on here. And a 164 S driver to boot.

Alfas Owned: 1991 Red/Black Alfa Romeo 164 S. Current: 2002 Land Rover Discovery SE7, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

My own experience through the years is that most insurance companies tend to value a car like that at about half the going retail price. We've always had to fight to get the assessed value up toward what is found to be as sold prices.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:36 PM

Insurance valuation

I went back and forth with the insurance company for over four months, including providing them with asking prices for several similar mileage cars. That's how I got their valuation up from $2K to $3K. Unfortunately, with a rare car, it is really hard to establish actual selling prices for enough cars in your area to make a strong case. They included both L and S models in deriving their estimate, but they do adjust up for what they think is the premium on the S (less than $1K)! Their adjustment for mileage is very small in comparing an old car with 90K vs. 180K miles. They don't seem to care if it's an Alfa or a Chevy.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 06:54 PM

Search the archives and look at eBay for completed auctions that actually sold.

Service history and records are critical on these. Even then, they are just not worth a lot of dollars. I paid under $6k for what is probably amongst the nicest remaining 95ls models remaining. It had extensive service history including recent $3k complete suspension rebuild (all rubber bits included) by Algar. Even then I put a bunch of $$$ after purchase. That is part of the problem, if these need anything it will be costly.

Like others I can not see how you could have paid $50k for a 91 unless you had a 21% interest rate! But it does not matter one bit that the car sold for new. It has almost zero bearing on current value. No different than all those underWater mortgages. My first PC cost $5,000 and is now worth $20. Whatever you paid new, just let it go as it is irrelevant.

Site unseen, I would imagine $5 - $6k unless you want to sit on it for a very long time. This assumes it is indeed really nice. Sadly, they are not worth a lot. When I sold my very nice 91s some 10 years ago, with full Algar service history, I think I got around $4k.

And yes, I agree that all the "serious buyers only" stuff is just silly or else a red flag for way overpriced. I personally have never gone to look at a vehicle wearing a clown suit! "serious sellers" should list an asking price and all the details about the vehicle.

Last edited by Amphicar770; 09-14-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode