Alfa Romeo Forums banner

What did you do Alfa related today?

1M views 16K replies 428 participants last post by  Alfisto Steve 
#1 · (Edited)
What did you do Alfa [and 164] related today?

I had a slow to go Alfa day today.

First off I worked on setting up my wife's future garden plot permiters with 4x4 eight foot posts. I tilled up part of the area yesterday with my neighbor's roto-tiller. I have to get more soil and compost trucked/trailered in before spring.

Did I mentioned we have been having a real heat wave this week. It has been tee shirt weather. Such a relief after 20-40 degree weather.

75 ° Partly CloudyFeels Like 75°
Relative Humidity 41%
Barometer 29.87(Steady)atm
Dew Point 50 °
Visibility 10.00 Miles
UV Index 1 Low
Wind Speed W 18 to 24mph

I did move two 164's today to get my truck and trailer out so I could take a load of Alfa parts to my storage unit.

With Sara wrecking her car and so much stuff already here, I got a bigger storage unit so I could move out some stuff before I start the salvage operation of it.

When part of your rear yard adjoins your neighbors front yard you have to be creative in your landscaping and be considerate.

Yes I will restore some green grass this year. There was a children's play house in the barren area that I took down but I must admit I killed the rest of side yard grass with my Alfas under the Old Oak tree project.

You can see how far in second tree dented in right side of her trunk lid.

I may use my spare Milano Verde rear wish bone to give her 164B new rear legs as it is now sitting on a wheel dolly.

I set up garden plot as a L-shaped plot so we can still get into back yard to store Alfa rescue projects behind rear gate.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Ye Olde Oak Tree project with truck and trailer behind rear rear yard fence.

Attachments

#4 ·
My project for the last three days has been getting the red 75 3 litre back on the road after two years in the garage so that my son can start driving it. I got the alternator reconditioned and fitted. Getting those things off a 75 is not easy. I fitted a new piece of hose on the crankcase breather, re-fitted the throttle linkage, changed the coolant and cleaned out the expansion bottle and changed the oil. I siphoned out 40 litres of old fuel so as to avoid possible bad running and clogged injectors. Today I will put in 20 litres of 98 octane ULP and hope it fires up and runs with no leaks etc, then I will give it a much needed wash. It is hard to believe it is nearly ready to go after all this time.

Reactions: 161qv
#5 ·
I think your problem is you have to many red Alfas!

#6 ·
Accelerator Cable Hookup

Hi - I need a good picture or instructions showing the connections related to the throttle plate. I just finished putting another engine in my 88 Milano Verde and I thought I had it - but I cannot reve the engine from the pedal - only by moving the throttle plate by hand. Any good pictures would help.

Argtv685

#7 ·
Hi - I need a good picture or instructions showing the connections related to the throttle plate. I just finished putting another engine in my 88 Milano Verde and I thought I had it - but I cannot reve the engine from the pedal - only by moving the throttle plate by hand. Any good pictures would help.

Argtv685
You can't put these posts in other people's threads. Also, this is the 164 forum, not Milano. You're not going to get an answer here even if you post this question in its own thread.

On topic, I did nothing Alfa related today, but yesterday I put the cover over my soon-to-depart parts car so the city stays off my back, and talked with a friend about a running 164L 5 speed he has for sale. Maybe I'll be back in the fold (with a running car) soon.

#8 ·
I posted a link of his problem over on Milano tab.

#9 ·
I unpacked the quarter panel I purchased from Alfa 35 to repair rust damage on the Q! Tomorrow have to pick it up from work and bring it home. Can also finally get a cover on the LS I purchased as a parts car, now that the snow is almost completely melted. Of course it's supposed to snow again on Sunday.

#10 · (Edited)
Tom are you in a suburb of Milwaukee? No I see you are west of it. I am by birth from WI (Janesville), but grew up on a farm north of Madison (current hot sport in news).

Many of my now deceased family lived in and around Milwaukee and West Bend.

#11 ·
Today I drove the silver 164B pulling the trailer loaded down with 2 rolling tool chests, one large tool box, a floor stand drill press, motorcycle jack and a few other odd and ends. I'm move the shop from the greenhouse to the large garage at our new old house.

Also I tried starting the red 164S...no go...I think it's the fuel pump:( I think I'll be going a head first dive into the trunk soon:(

#12 ·
I just enjoyed driving my Alfa today.....to work and back in light fast traffic.
It was a warm FL day and the sunroof was open.
The speedometer has started to malfunction but who watches that anyways....
I need to fix it so that the odometer continues to tell me when the gas is about to run out as the yellow fuel warning light shines as it feels like.

Between a major work event I hope to play with our Alfa's this long weekend.

#13 ·
Buying more parts for the 164 LS , of course!

Making a inventory of what part need fixing on my 1959 Sprint 1300cc engine Needs a new cylinder head installed this spring.

Driver side rear strut to come off soon on the 164 , soaking the bottom two bolts with Kroll.

#14 · (Edited)
Haven't gotten to drive my 164's but a couple feet so far today as I moved two of them to get my truck out. I am moving into a bigger storage unit so I will have some more room to store 164 parts as I begin to salvage out Sara's totaled 164B.

I got out of smaller unit and into larger one but have some reorganizing to do so I will have room for QS's parts.

I hope to drive Black Beauty to Italian Bakery for our weekly car guys tire kicking as weather warm enough to be outside again today.

OBTW, we are supposed to have a new Fiat 500 at our Alfa monthly dinner meeting on Monday night.

#15 ·
I swapped some PM's with Steve about 164 fuse locations. I still havent been called about my 500 yet.
Steve, one of my best friends and a former Alfa owner Doug lives in Janesville now.
Just leaving now to go get some cat food. But in the F-150, not an Alfa. I have a lot of cats. I guess.

#16 · (Edited)
Didn't drive QS1 but did start it up

Well, didn't drive BB or get to bakery because my friend Lee from NJ called to check on Sara just as I was about to dash out the door.

He drove his 164B today for first time in a couple months he said. He has a blue one with better paint than Old Blue and has 15" Q4 wheels on it he got from Difatta years ago. They only had two left or I would have had a set, too.

Anyway, bride taking a nap after a gardening in the wind day so we can go out for Italian dinner tonight.

We are taking Old Blue for a spin.

As she is slumbering I decided to start up Sara's totaled B model. Had to use dual jumper wires on negative post of battery to get a good enough ground to rear cross member but it fired right up and runs smooth. Most everything not torn off works fine.

I had brake icons and low oil level (has plenty oil) icons on and door open indicators on. Wonder why! I noticed gas gauge not working either.

As you can see it now has 190,000 plus miles on it. It has been a super good car and she has put over 50,000 miles on it since we got it in 2005 so it served us well.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
Well you got to see if the engines OK don't you? No other way to find that out. Steve, you amaze me. I didn't think you would let anything go to waste, but you never fail to amaze me with your energy.
I did a little work to mine and put some new fuel lines on my engine (again) to stop fuel leaks. Seems like I go through this exercise once a year. I went with Continental brand hose that is very firm and has a high thread count. It went on very tightly so I know that I'm not just relying on the clamps to seal up the connections. Lets hope this hose lasts longer than any I have used before and remains leak free. I got smart this time and did it right, start up the car and then pull the fuel pump relay till it dies and then begin work removing hoses. Still leaks a good bit when you loosen and remove hoses, so you have to be ready for that with rags. This 164 has been very, very trouble free and has taken up very little of my time the last few years I must say, save for fuel leaks/smells. All that work I did some time ago has paid off.
Charles

#19 · (Edited)
Life after death by Alfa

I think lack of brake fluid in reservoir due to ripped off rear brake line has dropped float enough to set brake light and parking lever switch must have broken when brake cable broke. As for low oil light, I had bad probe in crankcase already bypassed with radio shack resistor so maybe wire to resistor snapped, too.

All in all maybe if I put Milano Verde rear wish bone under it and crimp off rear brake lines I can drive it around the yard.

If I get it out by my trailer I can cut off the buckled top and slide it into trailer to go to the scales for 0.09 per lb for the weight of it.

#20 ·
Well, I could have spent time working on my 164L yesterday, as there is no shortage of things I need to fix/improve, but decided instead to take her out for a road trip on a pretty day. Did about 150 miles R/T through the country and found myself cruising at 80 mph several times effortlessly. Man, this car loves the highway, and even seemed to run better as time went on. 147,000 miles and counting....

#21 ·
I took mine for a spin and I also like to refuel it before the light goes on so, I stopped by the supermarket petrol station.

I did notice it runs a bit rougher on this cheaper gas. I can't feel any vibrations when I fill at BP or GALP (major brands) stations. They're all supposed to be exactly the same 95 octane petrol. I'll give that a bit more study.

Yesterday I did fix a nasty squeaking sound I had on the steering wheel covers (the ones I took out to replace the fuel door release fuse) with some grease. I'll also fix the rear lighter this week.

#22 ·
Walked across St Stephens Park wearing my Alfa Romeo yachting team jacket (which I was given for Christmas) - useful to fend off the cold, damp air here in Dublin.

Thinking of my blue 164 put away in its own garage... looking forward to sanding down the roof and repainting (at least that seems feasible now it has its own garage... the fact that I am 18,000km away is a mere technicality)...

-Alex

#25 ·
Bet you're glad we didn't swap out the snows for the summer rims...told you it it was a beast in the snow!

#24 ·
Yesterday I loaded more bent, buckled and twisted rear end sheet metal I had cut off Sara's B model into my trailer. Topped off with trunk lid complete with tree indentation along right edge.

#27 · (Edited)
I washed three 164's, Ford Ranger and Chevy Bu today. Drove Black Beauty and truck to run errands.

Tonight I think we will be driving Myron's 95LS to our Alfa dinner meeting.

New Fiat Studio Dealer to bring a Fiat 500 to the meeting for show and tell.

I, as in Forrest Gump, played Lt Dan and gave our wrecked 164B a set of magic legs for rear end (Milano Verde rear axle and 164 red spare wheels).

Attachments

#28 ·
President's Day is done and I was able to finally spend eight quality hours on the various Alfa's...

First I applied Chazzy's (Charles') latest trick to the fuel sender light of Bella the daily driver, and I will see how that goes during the work week.
The fuel low warning light shines when it feels like....and that after I totally refurbished the tank sender unit to no avail.

Then it was on to the current merger between Jenny from the Forest and the recently acquired donor car from SC, beneath the huge Live Oaks in the garden.
It was a glorious day in NE FL.

The recipient (Jenny) is finally down to body, wiring and brake lines.
I was able to verify that the fuel and brake lines are all clear.
The bulkhead behind the firewall is redone and closed off to falling leaves etc.
I think we are ready to start relocating the donor steering rack, brake servo unit and other stuff behind the engine.

Hopefully with work deadlines now behind me I can take off a few more days and keep this ball rolling.

Lastly we ended the day washing the daily driver (Bella) before the barbeque.

It was a great Alfa day.

Ta,

Neville.

#29 ·
President's Day a great day! My 82 Spider after 18 years of hibernation is almost complete. I needed a few pieces from the PAHTs Kah, more importantly a Plastic Fuel Injector Coupling. 8 degrees -10 Wind chill, I journeyed to the back of the barn and revealed the car COOOLD!! 5 to 10 Minute intervals I reached the part, but it's stuck in the BLOCK COOOLD! Soaked and Cleaned, Probe, Cleaned and Soaked ~ 3:30 POP! It came out, rolling down my screwdriver. I Borged it. Success! A good ALFA Day!!

#30 ·

Paid the bill for the front brake pads replacement. Details:

Ferodo brake pads: 150€
Labour: 0€

Even the shop's owner was stunned with the price. Clerk said he couldn't find references for another brand (the same guy that couldn't find the sparkplug wires). They still squeak badly.

What other brands/references/prices have you got for these?
It's the 4 cylinder 2.0 turbo, with girling calipers.

#31 ·

Attachments