Alfa Romeo Forums banner

What did you do Alfa related today?

1M views 16K replies 428 participants last post by  Alfisto Steve 
#1 · (Edited)
What did you do Alfa [and 164] related today?

I had a slow to go Alfa day today.

First off I worked on setting up my wife's future garden plot permiters with 4x4 eight foot posts. I tilled up part of the area yesterday with my neighbor's roto-tiller. I have to get more soil and compost trucked/trailered in before spring.

Did I mentioned we have been having a real heat wave this week. It has been tee shirt weather. Such a relief after 20-40 degree weather.

75 ° Partly CloudyFeels Like 75°
Relative Humidity 41%
Barometer 29.87(Steady)atm
Dew Point 50 °
Visibility 10.00 Miles
UV Index 1 Low
Wind Speed W 18 to 24mph

I did move two 164's today to get my truck and trailer out so I could take a load of Alfa parts to my storage unit.

With Sara wrecking her car and so much stuff already here, I got a bigger storage unit so I could move out some stuff before I start the salvage operation of it.

When part of your rear yard adjoins your neighbors front yard you have to be creative in your landscaping and be considerate.

Yes I will restore some green grass this year. There was a children's play house in the barren area that I took down but I must admit I killed the rest of side yard grass with my Alfas under the Old Oak tree project.

You can see how far in second tree dented in right side of her trunk lid.

I may use my spare Milano Verde rear wish bone to give her 164B new rear legs as it is now sitting on a wheel dolly.

I set up garden plot as a L-shaped plot so we can still get into back yard to store Alfa rescue projects behind rear gate.

Attachments

See less See more
#14,014 · (Edited)
Been driving the same dd 1991 164S since 1994. Never get tired of it. And, don't need any more of the complicated infotainment systems, electric brakes, steering, and throttles, etc, as found in the new cars. We don't buy new just because it is new (well, we do like our Roomba, lol). Been married 42 years, so as Steve says, something must be right, and evidently having the 164 doesn't hurt.

It's a shame that for the Club, et al, the 164 does appear to be the forgotten/unappreciated Alfa.

#14,015 · (Edited)
I bought my first 164, a 91. by accident. though I was bidding on a gtv6 in NJ, it was late I was tired. next morning woke up an of a green 164 in Giorgia. flew down with the Mrs. drove it FLA to meet friends, looked a little sad next to their new Merc. drove past a little mechanics shop displaying, amongst many others, an Alfa sign. The Mechanic was Lebanese and very familiar with Alfa. next day, new battery new belts later, fluids, filters etc. he pronounced it good to go. Drove it up to NJ, non stop, having to remain very careful with speed cause found myself at 120 in no time. After some time later I saw a black 164 on eBay as a non runner, thought it would be a great parts car...…….. That's when I bought my 24valve by accident. in the end, after getting the 24v to fire properly, my wife drove the 12v and I the 24v. the 12 valve was sold, and we entered into a lease on a 3.0 Passat very nice car but dead on feel end of that lease we switched to an Acura...could not wait to give that car back... all the time sitting back in the 24v one just feels at home. friendly little things.

#14,016 ·
Waiting on the muffler so figured I would work on the stereo. The reach is just too long for comfort. I have a cheapie Chinese all in one 2 din (not really 2 din, Chinese version of 2 din) all in one stereo and will fit that in the stock stereo.
This requires: removing the stereo and sleeve. Removing the stereo platform (2x 10mm bolts, one on either side) and the stereo door, which was damaged anyways. Remove the mechanism for the stereo door return. Cut the plastic frame of the stereo mounting area and, most worrisome, cut the transmission housing plastic down to the level of the ashtray. I won't cut the vinyl so I will peel it back, cut the plastic underneath and fold the vinyl down in case I want to put it all back. Except for the removal of the inner stereo sleeve frame, all should look fine if I choose to revert back. I may look for a replacement center console just in case so if you have one for an auto ls model, let me know.

#14,017 ·
Well... had I anticipated so much cutting of stuff, would not have started but once in, finish. So, almost got the 2 din stereo in place. I had to trip the upper part of the console under the vinyl) for lower clearance and widen the back of the middle plastic shroud for the stereo itself. The hardest part was lowering the stereo shelf. This piece must be retained as the center shroud (as I call it.... the plastics under the stereo face and environmental controls) is bolted from the top. The lowering of the plastic at the front-top of the console required removing part of the plastic, and one metal plate that ran left and right as support. This was very touch mental to drill through and I had to grind part of it.
The stereo shelf required lowering as well so I cut that across the top and lowered the top section into the bottom section so I have a proper support for the unit and still have the mounting points.
A bit more trimming and re-gluing the vinyl is next, plus make a new let-right support for the top of the console, under the vinyl, so the vinyl does not sag.
Then, finalize the shelf position, add 2 rivets to unite the top and bottom sections, make 2 new mounting points (as the plastic section with 2 existing points was cut off) so nothing gets creaky at speed, wire up the unit.
There were a few missing screws and bolts under the enviro unit which explains why there were so many creaking sounds out of the dash. Really annoying.

Picture 1: set in but not connected
Picture 2: stereo shelf before alteration (I will post an after shot later), the shroud is attached via to bolts at the front holes and 2 at either end at the bottom. the shelf is attached with 2x 10mm bolts and is also slotted.
Picture 3: The stuff under the ashtray. gentle goes it as the plastic will crack. You are seeing the ashtray cover, 2 springs, the removed plastic ( middle) and the ash tray frame, the top which has to be removed. The frame is then put back in place to add rigidity to the top of the console.

Attachments

#14,018 ·
while looking for images of the starter side of the 164, back end, without success I may add. came across this video:

Nicola Materazzi, father of Stratos, 288 GTO and GTO Evoluzione tells how he created the most desirable and admired Supercar ever, which now takes 30 years after his official presentation. Waiting to put it on the road and tell you a Legend. http://www.driveexperience.it/

The 164 is mentioned at 7:58.

#14,020 ·
Nope no shipping data yet either.

#14,022 ·
Probably picking up a '95 164LS in a bit more than a week, and then driving it 875 miles, home, along the Sierra Nevada foothills. The vast majority on roads I've never driven. Regardless of the outcome, it'll be a fun adventure.

Bob

#14,025 ·
Muffler:
I have picked up my muffler from the shop. They did a fine job of mating the old inlet-flange end to the new piping and the Magna Flow BUT I may have tacked th old pieces off a bit and the line up is not exactly where it should be so another bend is in order. They couldn't tack on new hangers either as they had no direction. I bolted the new muffler in place and made a hanger which I connected directly to the middle of the inlet, behind the cross member and connected that with a rubber hanger and metal strap to the bolt for the upper shield. Should be fine for a drive but will have to be revised.
so, I will make another trip to the muffler shop, with the car this time, and have them fine tune stuff.
The sound is louder than stock but not overly loud like many of the muscle cars you hear....but definitely to loud for the missus. Add a definite leak at one of the front flanges and a loose front shield...

This did not turn out as expected.
I had originally pulled the stock muffler for a repair to the inlet at the muffler. Once I realized how bad it was, seemed pointless to put it back on so I removed the pipe, attached that for the short drive to the muffler shop and was assured it would not be a problem. Week after, and after an hours wait, they told me they couldn't do it and I would have to get some mandrel bent piping. I think they just concentrate on fix-fit jobs for their other customers rather than tie up the hoist for hours with mine.

So, its on and works (with some small leaks) but needs revision.

Radio:
Installed a double din and works fine. Couldn't find my last install kit so made some supports but they are not strong and will need to be replaced with proper straps. If I had to start over I would not have started and bought a 1.5 din or double din front with single din rear to avoid some of the hassle. i have no issue cutting into the center console but my workmanship was a tad sloppy and there was more trial and error than anticipated. Mind you, if I decide to go back, I can easily replace the console and make a proper plate for a single din. The biggest issue is the extra spacing around the radio and stock opening. Will have to dress it up a it.

Knock sound:
Went for a drive to assess the exhaust level and when idling in my driveway, I noticed a knocking sound from the right-lower side (I think). Hope this isn't a crank issue and there is a bit more vibration near the air cleaner than I recall. Maybe something knocking due to a weak mount? That would be better than an internal issue as that would do it for me, I think.

Temp needle was up at the 2nd last marker but the fab is kicking in and water level is o.k. Maybe my imagination as I have not run this in warm weather since last spring.

Trying to attach images but my cursed new phone doesn't want to cooperate.

#14,027 ·
Radio:
Installed a double din and works fine. Couldn't find my last install kit so made some supports but they are not strong and will need to be replaced with proper straps. If I had to start over I would not have started and bought a 1.5 din or double din front with single din rear to avoid some of the hassle. i have no issue cutting into the center console but my workmanship was a tad sloppy and there was more trial and error than anticipated. Mind you, if I decide to go back, I can easily replace the console and make a proper plate for a single din. The biggest issue is the extra spacing around the radio and stock opening. Will have to dress it up a it.
Take a look at this:

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/apple-carplay-android-auto-ilx-w650

If height wise a double din will fit, something like this is the best option.

#14,033 ·
Sorry for the bird image. Kids were updating their x box and with my limited bandwidth, upload started hanging so I left my terminal for dinner not realizing I had grabbed that image as well. Bird was an infant that fell out of a tree along with 2 siblings and nest. Tree was too far up to reach and siblings were dead but I noticed shallow breathing and figured I would help it out. Amazing growth over a week but I fear it will not have the skills to survive in the wilds and may have to keep it or adopt out. You need some skills to live in the wilds....kind of like being an Alfa 164 owner.

#14,031 ·
Very interesting paint scheme on your 164S or 164Q with LS wheels. Tell us more about that car please?

#14,030 ·
Came to the conclusion that unless you live in a large metropolitan area used Alfa parts have virtually no value.
Unless you are the one needing to BUY them, then they are worth their weight in platinum!
Being VERY careful from now on as to what spares I buy, need to clear clutter but not going to give away good parts.

#14,034 ·
Happens with a lot of European cars. You have stuff you want to sell but nobody wants it, then you blowout price it and people still negotiate you down. Then when you need it, the only one you can find the guy wants $200 for.

#14,035 · (Edited)
The very first 164S (actually the first 164, period) I had a chance to see was painted all white, I mean all. In the Cal sun, it blinded you. The black stripes on the above car at least make it look better IMO. Looks good, actually. Would have to see it in full So Cal sun, though. I personally would paint the lower fairings maybe a light metallic gray as an offset color.

Not liking the stock LS radio, etc, I removed it and with a little work installed one of the older double din radios from a Chrysler, the unit with AM/FM, tape, and CD. Good enough for us, and works well. Pretty much just plug and play. Based on our own experiences in rentals at least, the new touch screen stuff is too messy to use when you are driving down the road, esp a bumpy road, your finger usually hitting the wrong area, getting something you didn't want (who wants all that stuff when you are driving anyway, subtracting from your attention). You have to take your eyes off the road too long to find where you want to place your finger. Knobs and push buttons work so well... just because they are not the "new" thing...

When we were riding around with our friends in their Honda Pilot, he was always driving back and forth in the lane, from lane line to line (and sometimes over), as he tried to do things on the touchscreen and connected smart phone. We tried to tell him to not do that, but it didn't seem to take. it actually was kind of funny sometimes, as when he would speak to the system to find something out, the system couldn't understand his Georgia accent half the time. Then his wife would try, and it couldn't understand her north Texas accent. What a hoot.

And, every day, when we are driving around, we usually end up behind someone at a traffic light, the light changing, and the driver not driving off, still goofing around with either his phone or the touch screen in the dash. I hate having to honk the horn to wake him up, not knowing if he will pull a gun, which sometimes happens around here (actually, everywhere nowadays).

Sigh, another rant. One of those days, lol. Sorry.

#14,036 ·
So after driving home late at night from my moms place (30 minute drive) I noticed the temp guage doing this weird dance. The engine was still cold and after a bit of driving and getting to normal temps the needle didn't dance as much but still caught it on video though by this time it moved once our twice. At the beginning of the journey it only danced around within a certain limit like in the video but not so aggressively to the point where the needle would jump to the ends of the gauge.
I've uploaded the video to my channel. It does not inhibit the driving functionality of the car, just a weird side affect of an old alfa maybe.

https://youtu.be/IMkjKdCAEKg

#14,038 · (Edited)
164 Road trip in the AM on Saturday

ML and I have been invited to join the Maserati Club of Central Florida for a driving tour to Clermont tomorrow for lunch and a tour w/tasting at the Lakeridge Winery.

They are starting from the Ferrari, Maserati of Central Florida dealership in Orlando. We are going to meet them at the Citrus Tower in Clermont.

After the tour we are all driving back to our Lakeland town for a group RON at the Terrace Hotel downtown.

Dinner will be later at Fresco's near the hotel. ML and I will then RON at our own La Casa Bonnie and rejoin the group on Sunday for Brunch at the hotel.

My invitee Todd, whom I met at Neville's Mighty Oak event in April, has both a nice Alfa Stelvio and a Maser Ghibli.

Attachments

#14,047 ·
ML and I have been invited to join the Maserati Club of Central Florida for a driving tour to Clermont tomorrow for lunch and a tour w/tasting at the Lakeridge Winery.

They are starting from the Ferrari, Maserati of Central Florida dealership in Orlando. We are going to meet them at the Citrus Tower in Clermont.

After the tour we are all driving back to our Lakeland town for a group RON at the Terrace Hotel downtown.

Dinner will be later at Fresco's near the hotel. ML and I will then RON at our own La Casa Bonnie and rejoin the group on Sunday for Brunch at the hotel.

My invitee Todd, whom I met at Neville's Mighty Oak event in April, has both a nice Alfa Stelvio and a Maser Ghibli.

164 looks really good. looks new. nice picture!

#14,042 ·
Changed the oil today. Not the filter as I have only put about 1000km since the last full change and am only changing to check the oil for any metal, trying to diagnose the slight knocking sound. Seems to come from the center of the engine, not the oil sump area. It may be coming from my yet-to-be fully fastened muffler?

Anyways, no nasty stuff in the oil. Still smelling some oil so a bit more diagnosis to do for that as it is irritating.

I will be driving to the muffler shop on Monday for a final fitting and proper hangers and to check the system front to back as I do hear some hissing from the mid section.

#14,044 ·
That is an Alfa and this thread is Alfa related so relate away with the project even if non-164-related as this in an Alfa related thread. We even stray off Alfa stuff from time to time.

#14,048 · (Edited)
Have you seen how well that works in other categories? I am for inclusive rather than exclusive.

#14,049 ·
I meant that the "what did you do Alfa related today" site maybe might be a separate site, rather than being included just in the 164 site, since it is a generic question? I don't know otherwise. It was only a thought. I don't care where it is.