What did you do Alfa related today? - Page 946 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1006Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #14176 of 14386 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:41 AM

I found that the last code stayed in the system after I fixed the issue. In my case it was the temperature sensor in the rad. After I replaced the sensor the car ran perfectly, but the code still came up when I did the gas pedal test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14177 of 14386 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:08 AM

Garage
So decided to recharge the ac as heat index will in around 110F today and tomorrow. Recharged my crown vic ac then did the alfas ac. Needle showed it needed to be filled did fill it and then it started to run a little rough when the ac compressor was on, when turning off ac it returned back to normal. I am thinking I might have a bad AC Compressor and it was not getting that cold.
post #14178 of 14386 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:28 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealguy419 View Post
So decided to recharge the ac as heat index will in around 110F today and tomorrow. Recharged my crown vic ac then did the alfas ac. Needle showed it needed to be filled did fill it and then it started to run a little rough when the ac compressor was on, when turning off ac it returned back to normal. I am thinking I might have a bad AC Compressor and it was not getting that cold.
It sounds like you were using the disposable cheapo fill gauges on the refrigerant bottle? If so, you could be overcharging the system which will degrade cooling and put tremendous strain on the compressor.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14179 of 14386 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Well ML took the Jeep Grand Cherokee (JGC) today to do her thing. I took BB1 with no a/c to P-N-P to get parts for JGC as we had a R/R passenger window regulator drop the window down couple inches in the heat of the day yesterday. Something just decided to break while we were in the store shopping. As I slid the window back up something fell into the inner door cavity. This heat wave has not been our friend on either car.

Even though it was super ambient hot today and then with no a/c but windows down BB1 sang the sweet song of an Alfa Busso V6 whine via a dual tip Ansa.

Expect Neville's care package soon so next week maybe we can get a/c serviced again after I can get that fire damaged high pressure a/c hose replaced.
horsewidower likes this.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 07-19-2019 at 04:35 PM.
post #14180 of 14386 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:08 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
/snip
Even though it was super ambient hot today and then with no a/c but windows down BB1 sang the sweet song of an Alfa Busso V6 whine via a dual tip Ansa.
\snip
Paul Simon could have added this verse to America.

counting the cars on the new jersey turnpike
Even though it was super ambient hot today
and then with no a/c but windows down
BB1 sang the sweet song of an Alfa Busso V6 whine
via a dual tip Ansa.
They've all come to look for America.....

sorry could not resist

164LS 1994
post #14181 of 14386 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:41 AM

Spent many hours yesterday cleaning off 28 years of oil and grime from the front (radiator) side of the engine. Started out trying to use some Simple Green cleaner in a spray bottle and a rag, but that wasn't working. Next I went to a brass wire brush, a rag, an old tooth brush, and liberal amounts of paint thinner for the brushes. That worked good.
Also removed the old rubber bushings from the A/C compressor mount and the dog bone engine mount using the propane torch method (off the car of course and out in the backyard). Worked well, but sure makes a lot of smoke from the burning rubber. Today I will finish off cleaning the front of the engine and rebuilding the mounts.
Mike D.
horsewidower likes this.
post #14182 of 14386 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealguy419 View Post
It sounds like you were using the disposable cheapo fill gauges on the refrigerant bottle? If so, you could be overcharging the system which will degrade cooling and put tremendous strain on the compressor.
Using a can of A/C Pro showed that the system was empty so I started filling it just a little bit then Compressor started to struggle. Charles did say that the ac did leak.
post #14183 of 14386 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:42 PM

SO it was 105 degrees here today I figured what better time to work on pulling the passenger side axle.

I didn't last more than 20 minutes. Then I had a problem with my quickjacks, so I got the car down on stands, fixed them, and got it back up and called it a day. Brutal out there.

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #14184 of 14386 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Took the day off from Alfa related and stayed cool out of this brutal heat wave. Watching new 2018 First Man movie about Neil Armstrong on HBO.

Hope jet stream dips south as predicted next week I need to work on Jeep Grand and would like to work on BB1. Once Neville's care parts pac arrives weather permitting I will try to get BB1 ready fpr a/c service.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #14185 of 14386 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:58 PM

That's correct, fault codes don't get automatically cleared from the ecu after the cause of the fault is repaired. You need to do one of the following to remove the fault from the ecu's memory:

1) disconnect the ecu for at least 30 seconds (= disconnecting the battery)
2) start the car 60 times in succession with source of the fault corrected

Even using the Alfa Tester (= Fiat-Lancia Tester) with MA4A cartridge it is not possible to remove the fault from memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Boydell View Post
I found that the last code stayed in the system after I fixed the issue. In my case it was the temperature sensor in the rad. After I replaced the sensor the car ran perfectly, but the code still came up when I did the gas pedal test.
Attached Images

white '92 164 S (71K)
post #14186 of 14386 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:51 AM

A bit of Alfa time over the last few days between outdoor work and indoor painting. A short drive in my "little Red microwave" and I really think I should get that a/c repaired. Drilled a new hole to revise the rear hanger mount on the Magna Flo muffler. The resonator and pipes I built up distorted slightly and the rear system had to be displaced 1 cm rearwards for the flanges to line up tightly. Repaired all of the sagging heat shields, large washer-sized plates cut out of clean sheet metal and painted over once installed.
I still need to either have an alignment to straighten the wheel or loosen and re position the column slightly, one or 2 teeth, to the right side.
I have this strange sunroof issue in that at speed, I cannot close the roof completely. Either the wind guard is stiff (doesn't seem so) or the roof is slightly distorted. I have to push up on the front section with one finger as I push the close button....not advisable at speed or during sudden rain.

On another note, browsing through the 2019 Sotheby auction list shows many, many older Alfas and one lonely 164 (sold for $1200.). The 164 era cars are going through the same "oh, that cousin" reaction as the Biturbo-era Maserati cars. The dealers push the history and new stuff but don't mention those periods. As Biturbo's crumble, they are slowly becoming more popular with a racer version selling for +/- $35k and basic models for $4k. Slowly, cleaner 164's may start to increase. Keep yours running.
post #14187 of 14386 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeton View Post

On another note, browsing through the 2019 Sotheby auction list shows many, many older Alfas and one lonely 164 (sold for $1200.). The 164 era cars are going through the same "oh, that cousin" reaction as the Biturbo-era Maserati cars. The dealers push the history and new stuff but don't mention those periods. As Biturbo's crumble, they are slowly becoming more popular with a racer version selling for +/- $35k and basic models for $4k. Slowly, cleaner 164's may start to increase. Keep yours running.
For a car thats "unloved" every car guy I tell about that I am restoring one responds "oh man I love those". I think nice ones will appreciate somewhat some day. I mean not like big money but a respectable $15k range.

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #14188 of 14386 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
For a car thats "unloved" every car guy I tell about that I am restoring one responds "oh man I love those". I think nice ones will appreciate somewhat some day. I mean not like big money but a respectable $15k range.
Yes. When I go for drives and stop for gas, I usually get one person mentioning "nice Alfa". Consider that a basic Alfa in decent shape usually costs less than an old Honda. The Achilles heel is not reliability but the cost of basic parts and that cost results in many "hack" jobs that shorten the life of the car.
I recall, in my Biturbo era, removing a piece of plumbing and finding that the p.o. had used 2 old O rings instead of one new one. We are talking about $2 items, not expensive at all.
If I can afford original parts, I will use them but the cost factor can get crazy considering that a running model can be had for less than the sums of some key "original" components. Show me an aftermarket Timing belt tension-er bearing (they must be used in a million trucks somewhere in India), a compatible tensioner (maybe an Audi version as they seem to be similar?), shock struts that aren't insanely expensive and I would be a happy lad.
Rogue Leader likes this.
post #14189 of 14386 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:22 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Necessity is the mother of invention . . . on the hyd tensioner bearing, since they're still obtainable (albeit expensive), there's not much call to come up with something different. If they go extinct, then I'm sure a new carrier center could be easily fabricated for a slightly different inner race size.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #14190 of 14386 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:55 PM

Temp was 100 degrees here. So I decided to paint the intake plenum and cam covers with black wrinkle coat paint. Turned out great. I have learned that this paint works best on hot days. This evening when it cools down a bit I will install the new water pump and maybe the new timing belt on my 164s resurrection project. Need to get this car reassembled in time for Concorso Italiano in August.
horsewidower likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode