What did you do Alfa related today? - Page 938 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 929Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #14056 of 14163 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Roque L my lenghty BB2 rehab story board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Finally started putting parts back ON my 164. Swapped the master cylinder today, MAN that drivers side nut is awful. Also my MC didn't want to come off, ended up using a pry bar and hammer to work it loose.

The brake fluid in there was BLACK. the reservoir, one side was like blocked up, I hosed it all out and now its clean as new in there. I think I'm going to drain the clutch reservoir as well as the fluid there is black too. When I put it all back together I assume I should fill and bleed the brakes first, then fill and bleed the clutch right?
You might want to take the time to see/read what it took me to rehab the rusty underbelly on my 164S aka BB2: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1256011-post5.html

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14057 of 14163 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
You might want to take the time to see/read what it took me to rehab the rusty underbelly on my 164S aka BB2: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1256011-post5.html
Wow thats nuts. Lots of good info in there thanks.

My Clutch master is fine, it just seems to not have had its fluid changed since the Clinton era. I have a turkey baster with tubing for the purpose of draining these things so I figure drain it all out, fill it and the brake master, bleed the brakes first (I have a Motive power bleeder), then bleed the clutch.

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #14058 of 14163 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Thanks guys! Sorry for the long absence. After I got Hefe back on the road I had major work to do on the Wagon and the old 98 Subaru. Of course in the summer the only problems are overheating (the wagon, which I'm sure needs a good engine flush and new radiator). He was having trouble with his seat adjustment switches - the back would recline (as I pointed out: great for car sex when you're young and agile enough for that, but not so much for driving) but not go vertical. He popped the switch cover, attempted to "prize" out the offending switch, blew the fuse - luckily Steve mentions on the forum how to FIND IT, he squirted down the contacts with that good contact cleaner, and seat responds nicely. Wish all things in life were so easy. I think we're going to have to do that with the window switches. They are just fickle.

Thanks for the links on the AC conversion - I remembered a lengthy, complete one - I may have even printed it out at one time. Yeah, I miss everyone - everything is totally fine, but am busier than ever. I am managing a USDA grant for a bio-char amendment to our wheat field soil, had to set up a new corporation to handle the money, and of course I program for our radio station (I am a music junkie) and may become the president of the board. And then there's house work and gardening.

So. Life is good! Body still obeying the brain. Will no doubt be back with observations, complaints, and questions.

How's life in Florida now, Steve? Didn't I remember your relocating there? Or maybe I was hallucinating...

Love y'all!

V

Help is always close at hand...

1991 white 164L "Spinor"
1986 white Spider Graduate "8 Legs"
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon (needs a little love)
1998 Subaru Forester (emergency temporary ride)
1986 Ford F250 - farm rig
1977 Chevy Silverado - retired from the concrete mines
in a constant state of repair: not one, but 2, 1968 Rover P6s
needing a new home: 1975 Black Cadillac 6-door limo
27' Ericson
18' Precision daysailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14059 of 14163 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:49 PM

Your opinions please.

Made the 160 km round trip to the muffler shop to complete the hangers. 2 custom hangers cost me $50 (cdn).
Still, this did turn out as planned due to some unfortunate misfires with the first muffler shop so the final tally, including 2 trips that could have been avoided, is around $280 cdn.
The MagnaFlow is definitely louder than stock, around 68 db at the rear.
Inside the cabin, the drone is a bit tiresome when accelerating up a grade. Mind you, the tips are not installed and the sound is bouncing off of the rear bumper skirt. I will be adding 2 tips myself. I am attaching images.
The tips are Audi tips and they have oval outlets and are offset-downwards. The muffler is slightly offset to the right and if I insert these tips with the offset to the left, they line up properly but the ovals are 90 degrees off. Not certain I like that look. If I insert normally, the right tip is slightly closer to the cutout but not in contact. One option is to cut the rear of the tip at the indicated spot (indicated by my finger) and reattach them 90 degrees so that I have the left offset of the tips plus oval outlets that are oval from left to right rather than up and down. That will also mean I do not have top drill new drain holes in the tip rears.
Attached Images

post #14060 of 14163 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:50 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Talked with Lino this morning down at Alfa of Tacoma. Almost all of the parts are gone, as yes, Centerline took most of them. He said twenty pallets of parts, plus exhaust systems, etc. He didn't realize he had so much. Lino wasn't all that happy with the price but it had to happen. They have two floors cleaned now, and several cars yet to go out. He said that people still stop by to get something done, the two hating to leave anyone by the side of the road. Lino finally did buy maybe his last "souvenir" Alfa, a 78 Spider. Wanted something for the remembrances, and they enjoy driving around in it.

We reminisced about our many years knowing each other, me first meeting him in 1964 at Abruzzi's Pizza downtown Seattle, where he first worked. Didn't know who he was at that time, but "officially" met him a year or so later when I bought Carlo's Alfa. And the fact that I knew his future wife years back in the local high-school.

He thought that the two of them had had a good life with the Alfa business, that really neither one of them wants to give it up but that things must change for the future. The offspring as usual not wanting to pick up the business, as usually happens with family run businesses/restaurants. Carlo of course will have his hobby storage building so that he can still fiddle with cars and engines at his pleasure. Can't run a real business out of there.

Not particularly Alfa related, but our very good friend who lives in Vancouver, BC now, married to a well to do woman, called to chat, and in conversation mentioned that they were looking to buy a new car, a new Ferrari 488 Spider. Either that or a Mercedes AMG GTR for half the price. Breaks my everloving heart. He is now living a nice life, and she is so sweet, even if she is a hard-nosed company owner.

I mentioned that they could test drive the new Giulia Quad, but she really wants a Coupe or the like. Didn't like any of the Lambos, and McLaren, etc, thought they were not them, too flash, lol.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 06-18-2019 at 10:26 PM.
post #14061 of 14163 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Life is good with some Alfa related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Mangan View Post
Thanks guys! Sorry for the long absence.... So. Life is good! Body still obeying the brain. Will no doubt be back with observations, complaints, and questions.

How's life in Florida now, Steve? Didn't I remember your relocating there? Or maybe I was hallucinating...

Love y'all!

V
Life is good for us in FL, too. Had a nice connection with Alfa and Maserati folks this past weekend. Todd [Stelvio/Maser Ghibli] and Kathy [Giulia]from Ponte Vedra near JAX organized a drive from the Ferrari/Maserati dealer in Orlando. ML and I met/joined this gang of 8 at the Citrus Tower in Clermont https://citrustower.com/
https://www.lakeridgewinery.com/
and then after lunch we went to Lake Ridge Winery. ML and another lady named Marie [Mini Cooper] in the group hit it off very well. They all came to Lakeland with us and stayed at the Terrace Hotel. www.terracehotel.com We had brunch with them there Sunday morning. Nice to make new friends here in Florida.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 06-19-2019 at 07:25 AM.
post #14062 of 14163 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:35 AM

Stuck with the normal placement of the Audi tips. The offset of the muffler works well enough with the spacing in the bumper. Cutting the tips and rotating the ovals 90 degrees seemed to be more work that value and the rear portions would have likely touched. Connected the tips with steel rivets. The addition of the tips did lower the internal noise level a bit and its now tolerable (for me, my wife....probably not for her as she is used to the "roar" of her Nissan's 2 liter). I did notice the annoying smell of hot oil so I still have a leak somewhere (surprise?) and the car seems slightly rough so I am wondering if one of my cylinders is not firing. Cleaned off front plugs Sunday (Will have a look with my spark check device later to verify all cylinders firing, though this will mean the removal of the rear cover...pain in the ***) while re-seating the valve cover to deal with a leak at the bottom-right. Perpetual trouble spot where the 1/2 moons meet the gasket. These were all new 2 years back, along with cig. seals and I did find some oil around the #6 plug. The same bottom-right trouble spot is persistent in Hyundai 3.2 liter v6 engines, so much so that they honoured an extended recall-repair on the gasket. In my case, this gasket was replaced in 2016 just prior to my purchasing the vehicle and it failed again, so much so that the oil ruined the alternator (exact same placement on the Alfa). I managed to talk Hyundai customer service into honouring another repair....the gasket labor and alternator, saved me at least $900 and many hour of frustration as it is a complicated job.
post #14063 of 14163 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:41 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeton View Post
Your opinions please.

Made the 160 km round trip to the muffler shop to complete the hangers. 2 custom hangers cost me $50 (cdn).
Still, this did turn out as planned due to some unfortunate misfires with the first muffler shop so the final tally, including 2 trips that could have been avoided, is around $280 cdn.
The MagnaFlow is definitely louder than stock, around 68 db at the rear.
Inside the cabin, the drone is a bit tiresome when accelerating up a grade. Mind you, the tips are not installed and the sound is bouncing off of the rear bumper skirt. I will be adding 2 tips myself. I am attaching images.
The tips are Audi tips and they have oval outlets and are offset-downwards. The muffler is slightly offset to the right and if I insert these tips with the offset to the left, they line up properly but the ovals are 90 degrees off. Not certain I like that look. If I insert normally, the right tip is slightly closer to the cutout but not in contact. One option is to cut the rear of the tip at the indicated spot (indicated by my finger) and reattach them 90 degrees so that I have the left offset of the tips plus oval outlets that are oval from left to right rather than up and down. That will also mean I do not have top drill new drain holes in the tip rears.
perhaps one could verify that the exhaust is hanging on rubber not touching the bodywork anywhere.

164LS 1994
post #14064 of 14163 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:11 AM

Good point. The muffler shop is a specialty shop that deals with custom work and as he would not use rubber hangers. I wanted a front-rear rail type on either side so I could slide the rubber if needed and hook to the stock points but he made a custom hanger that bolts to the under belly (there is a rubber spacer) and a 2nd one that taps onto the 10mm bolt used for the heat shield. That could be the cause of some vibration at idle but I am going to check all coils and connections for leaks. The top of the plenum has some discoloration at the end of the intake rubbers and I may be getting some blowby. The would probably cause some roughness.
Have to remove the covers over the coils anyway so I will dry up the inner parts where the cig. seals meet and apply some RTV. I don't want to remove the lower gasket again as it will not survive.
post #14065 of 14163 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:57 PM
Gold Subscriber

still have not found the picture I need, but in my search

https://drive-my.com/en/blogs/entry/...romeo-164.html

164LS 1994
post #14066 of 14163 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:23 PM

Made a killing today on my b’day: bagged myself a near new copy of Pat Braden’s (bless him) bible for 13 quid + 2.80 for shipping! Possibly the best investment i’ve ever made?

1973 GT Jr.
post #14067 of 14163 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigim View Post
still have not found the picture I need, but in my search

https://drive-my.com/en/blogs/entry/...romeo-164.html
Interesting but where are these aftermarket Brembo brakes for the car they describe? As far as I know they don't exist.

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #14068 of 14163 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:44 AM

Garage
Managed to capture more of my alfa 164 temp guage craziness on video. When arriving home from work I noticed my guage doing its dance and quickly pulled out my phone and got it. The first video I posted didnt show much of anything but this one does.

https://youtu.be/PKBYP9ELHGI
post #14069 of 14163 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:01 AM

beeton

Took another look and both custom hangers have rubber blocks. The shop would not use donut hangers. Rainy day so no work on the Alfa but will re and re the plenum and check the rear bank for leaky seals.
post #14070 of 14163 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealguy419 View Post
Managed to capture more of my alfa 164 temp guage craziness on video. When arriving home from work I noticed my guage doing its dance and quickly pulled out my phone and got it. The first video I posted didnt show much of anything but this one does.

https://youtu.be/PKBYP9ELHGI
Have you got a good ground of the black grounding wire at thermostat mid-housing?

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode