What did you do Alfa related today? - Page 935 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1003Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #14011 of 14380 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:33 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Well, they certainly didn't like the overall styling, and they didn't think it was a good sports sedan.

However, I will give you this:

"nothing the modern car can do is as exciting as engaging the 164's heavy clutch and shifting from fifth to third to hear its naturally aspirated V-6 sing"

Exactly. That's why I do not own a new Giulia. That and the excessive (IMHO) electronic doodads and systems. But that's just my wife and I talking, being familiar with both cars.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 06-04-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14012 of 14380 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:42 AM

I’ve always liked the 164 styling. There is nothing else quite like it and as a result, it will always look good.
Del likes this.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), sonís girlfiendís car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (sonís new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #14013 of 14380 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
There's something about a 164 AND the love angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz3litre View Post
I’ve always liked the 164 styling. There is nothing else quite like it and as a result, it will always look good.
You got that right! I'm not sure what it was first that caused my wife's love affair with me, the 164 or me? Since we have been married 27 years and we still drive an Alfa 164 it must have been something in the overall design of it. How's it go - horse and carriage go together like love and marriage? That maybe backerds but either way will work for us.
jeffb99tx and Del like this.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14014 of 14380 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:21 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Been driving the same dd 1991 164S since 1994. Never get tired of it. And, don't need any more of the complicated infotainment systems, electric brakes, steering, and throttles, etc, as found in the new cars. We don't buy new just because it is new (well, we do like our Roomba, lol). Been married 42 years, so as Steve says, something must be right, and evidently having the 164 doesn't hurt.

It's a shame that for the Club, et al, the 164 does appear to be the forgotten/unappreciated Alfa.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 06-05-2019 at 02:15 PM.
post #14015 of 14380 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:08 PM
Gold Subscriber

I bought my first 164, a 91. by accident. though I was bidding on a gtv6 in NJ, it was late I was tired. next morning woke up an of a green 164 in Giorgia. flew down with the Mrs. drove it FLA to meet friends, looked a little sad next to their new Merc. drove past a little mechanics shop displaying, amongst many others, an Alfa sign. The Mechanic was Lebanese and very familiar with Alfa. next day, new battery new belts later, fluids, filters etc. he pronounced it good to go. Drove it up to NJ, non stop, having to remain very careful with speed cause found myself at 120 in no time. After some time later I saw a black 164 on eBay as a non runner, thought it would be a great parts car...…….. That's when I bought my 24valve by accident. in the end, after getting the 24v to fire properly, my wife drove the 12v and I the 24v. the 12 valve was sold, and we entered into a lease on a 3.0 Passat very nice car but dead on feel end of that lease we switched to an Acura...could not wait to give that car back... all the time sitting back in the 24v one just feels at home. friendly little things.
horsewidower likes this.

164LS 1994

Last edited by Luigim; 06-06-2019 at 11:38 AM.
post #14016 of 14380 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:22 PM

Waiting on the muffler so figured I would work on the stereo. The reach is just too long for comfort. I have a cheapie Chinese all in one 2 din (not really 2 din, Chinese version of 2 din) all in one stereo and will fit that in the stock stereo.
This requires: removing the stereo and sleeve. Removing the stereo platform (2x 10mm bolts, one on either side) and the stereo door, which was damaged anyways. Remove the mechanism for the stereo door return. Cut the plastic frame of the stereo mounting area and, most worrisome, cut the transmission housing plastic down to the level of the ashtray. I won't cut the vinyl so I will peel it back, cut the plastic underneath and fold the vinyl down in case I want to put it all back. Except for the removal of the inner stereo sleeve frame, all should look fine if I choose to revert back. I may look for a replacement center console just in case so if you have one for an auto ls model, let me know.
post #14017 of 14380 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:52 PM

Well... had I anticipated so much cutting of stuff, would not have started but once in, finish. So, almost got the 2 din stereo in place. I had to trip the upper part of the console under the vinyl) for lower clearance and widen the back of the middle plastic shroud for the stereo itself. The hardest part was lowering the stereo shelf. This piece must be retained as the center shroud (as I call it.... the plastics under the stereo face and environmental controls) is bolted from the top. The lowering of the plastic at the front-top of the console required removing part of the plastic, and one metal plate that ran left and right as support. This was very touch mental to drill through and I had to grind part of it.
The stereo shelf required lowering as well so I cut that across the top and lowered the top section into the bottom section so I have a proper support for the unit and still have the mounting points.
A bit more trimming and re-gluing the vinyl is next, plus make a new let-right support for the top of the console, under the vinyl, so the vinyl does not sag.
Then, finalize the shelf position, add 2 rivets to unite the top and bottom sections, make 2 new mounting points (as the plastic section with 2 existing points was cut off) so nothing gets creaky at speed, wire up the unit.
There were a few missing screws and bolts under the enviro unit which explains why there were so many creaking sounds out of the dash. Really annoying.

Picture 1: set in but not connected
Picture 2: stereo shelf before alteration (I will post an after shot later), the shroud is attached via to bolts at the front holes and 2 at either end at the bottom. the shelf is attached with 2x 10mm bolts and is also slotted.
Picture 3: The stuff under the ashtray. gentle goes it as the plastic will crack. You are seeing the ashtray cover, 2 springs, the removed plastic ( middle) and the ash tray frame, the top which has to be removed. The frame is then put back in place to add rigidity to the top of the console.
Attached Images

post #14018 of 14380 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

while looking for images of the starter side of the 164, back end, without success I may add. came across this video:

Nicola Materazzi, father of Stratos, 288 GTO and GTO Evoluzione tells how he created the most desirable and admired Supercar ever, which now takes 30 years after his official presentation. Waiting to put it on the road and tell you a Legend. http://www.driveexperience.it/

The 164 is mentioned at 7:58.

164LS 1994
post #14019 of 14380 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:25 PM

Hey @Alfisto Steve did your lateral arm arrive yet? Mine should have been here but have not arrived and they now have DHL trying to find the package. REALLY hope its not lost!

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #14020 of 14380 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Hey @Alfisto Steve did your lateral arm arrive yet? Mine should have been here but have not arrived and they now have DHL trying to find the package. REALLY hope its not lost!
Nope no shipping data yet either.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

post #14021 of 14380 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
Nope no shipping data yet either.
Did you choose the faster or slower shipping option? I went faster. They sent me notice it shipped but no tracking info. They emailed me back saying they are connected with DHL looking for it.

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #14022 of 14380 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

Probably picking up a '95 164LS in a bit more than a week, and then driving it 875 miles, home, along the Sierra Nevada foothills. The vast majority on roads I've never driven. Regardless of the outcome, it'll be a fun adventure.

Bob
Del and goats like this.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #14023 of 14380 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:53 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Keep me posted.
horsewidower likes this.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

post #14024 of 14380 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Did you choose the faster or slower shipping option? I went faster. They sent me notice it shipped but no tracking info. They emailed me back saying they are connected with DHL looking for it.
I opted for faster, I think. I sent them a follow up asking for tracking today.

I sent you a PM with more info.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 06-12-2019 at 06:03 PM.
post #14025 of 14380 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:21 PM

Muffler:
I have picked up my muffler from the shop. They did a fine job of mating the old inlet-flange end to the new piping and the Magna Flow BUT I may have tacked th old pieces off a bit and the line up is not exactly where it should be so another bend is in order. They couldn't tack on new hangers either as they had no direction. I bolted the new muffler in place and made a hanger which I connected directly to the middle of the inlet, behind the cross member and connected that with a rubber hanger and metal strap to the bolt for the upper shield. Should be fine for a drive but will have to be revised.
so, I will make another trip to the muffler shop, with the car this time, and have them fine tune stuff.
The sound is louder than stock but not overly loud like many of the muscle cars you hear....but definitely to loud for the missus. Add a definite leak at one of the front flanges and a loose front shield...

This did not turn out as expected.
I had originally pulled the stock muffler for a repair to the inlet at the muffler. Once I realized how bad it was, seemed pointless to put it back on so I removed the pipe, attached that for the short drive to the muffler shop and was assured it would not be a problem. Week after, and after an hours wait, they told me they couldn't do it and I would have to get some mandrel bent piping. I think they just concentrate on fix-fit jobs for their other customers rather than tie up the hoist for hours with mine.

So, its on and works (with some small leaks) but needs revision.

Radio:
Installed a double din and works fine. Couldn't find my last install kit so made some supports but they are not strong and will need to be replaced with proper straps. If I had to start over I would not have started and bought a 1.5 din or double din front with single din rear to avoid some of the hassle. i have no issue cutting into the center console but my workmanship was a tad sloppy and there was more trial and error than anticipated. Mind you, if I decide to go back, I can easily replace the console and make a proper plate for a single din. The biggest issue is the extra spacing around the radio and stock opening. Will have to dress it up a it.

Knock sound:
Went for a drive to assess the exhaust level and when idling in my driveway, I noticed a knocking sound from the right-lower side (I think). Hope this isn't a crank issue and there is a bit more vibration near the air cleaner than I recall. Maybe something knocking due to a weak mount? That would be better than an internal issue as that would do it for me, I think.

Temp needle was up at the 2nd last marker but the fab is kicking in and water level is o.k. Maybe my imagination as I have not run this in warm weather since last spring.

Trying to attach images but my cursed new phone doesn't want to cooperate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode