What did you do Alfa related today? - Page 931 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 955Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13951 of 14239 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:08 AM

Buyers of 164s were the same back in the day. Few if any knew that a GTV-6 was from the same brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13952 of 14239 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
"But on a negative note, driving home in my Alfetta GT I came up on a red Giulia on the freeway. I pulled along side, no notice. I changed lanes all around him, no notice. We still have some work to do on the Brand."
Recently I pulled up at the traffic lights alongside a nondescript Nissan to see it's female driver smiling very broadly in my direction.
My excitement turned to mild disappointment as it became clear that she was excited about my 91 164L and not me.

At the next traffic lights she pulled up on my driver side and her passenger window went down....so my window went down too and we started to chat.

It turns out she once owned a white 164 and loved it and was so excited to see another 164 after all the interim years.

Then she was gone.

Ta,

Neville.
sidewaysalfa likes this.
post #13953 of 14239 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:12 PM

Found some Alfa time today so I jacked up the right side, checked the brakes for air...none. Took off the inner liners and started up to isolate the squeak and confirm it was not from the timing belt bearings. Shot some video for you all but my internet capacity does not like uploading many megabytes of video (65 and 46) so will have to try something else. As I believed, the squeak lessens if I put some pressure on the Serpentine bearing body and upon removal, I did find some slack in the spindle-needle bearing area. Not certain if these needle bearings are easy to source but a search in the forums brought up a larger bearing, probably the main tension-er bearing. I also started the car for 10 seconds without the S belt and there was no squeak!! Cleaning it all up anyway. Found some small dings in the groves (water pump pulley), all 4 corners, probably placed there by the last mechanic....not me, I assure you. I will file those even as it probably isn't helping. My home-made poly engine mount is still solid. I did notice that my left-front side sits a bit lower than my right side now, not sure if the left-front mount is wearing out or something else is a bit off. Comparing the strut parts last year seemed to show they were all in good shape.
As for the struts, the solenoids do click if I apply 12v on the bench (or "had" last year when last tested). Still not sure where the other side of the connector is as they were never hooked up.
There are 2 yellow connectors on either fender, one I believe is for the airbag so possibly the other one? I will try to follow the cable and see where it leads. Fun.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13954 of 14239 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexCars View Post
Buyers of 164s were the same back in the day. Few if any knew that a GTV-6 was from the same brand.
I looked at a GTV-6 but I needed a driver when I bought my used 164 and didn't want to subject a GTV-6 to winter driving. Unfortunately, Canadian winters and road salt won after a number of years of driving it. I would love to have it back in new condition.
For summer I have a spider.
post #13955 of 14239 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Boydell View Post
I looked at a GTV-6 but I needed a driver when I bought my used 164 and didn't want to subject a GTV-6 to winter driving. Unfortunately, Canadian winters and road salt won after a number of years of driving it. I would love to have it back in new condition.
For summer I have a spider.
My hope is that the Giulia will be better able to resist the demon rust here in upstate New York. You can drive a 164 for about 10 years up here, but you will have nothing left at the end. I would expect a GTV-6 to last about half that time.
Kim Boydell likes this.
post #13956 of 14239 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:56 AM

Depends on frame design, occasional washing, where you park and more. My 95 has little rust in most areas but the right trunk was bad. It looks like there was some collision work done so perhaps not rust proofed and the rear seam behind the rear doors is a weak spot, right up to the gas cap. I still believe the bottom plastic tray is the culprit (keeps moisture from working its way out of the area) but most of the undercarriage is better than my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe.
I did find some suspicious separation at the rear-left jacking point... definitely will need attention but for now, scraping off all of the bubbled undercoating and priming, rust proofing everything.

Last edited by beeton; 05-11-2019 at 12:57 PM. Reason: typo
post #13957 of 14239 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:26 PM

Garage
I am thankful that my 164 does not have any rust. Underside is clean with no rust. Other than that I've not done much alfa related, still have not got around to replacing front bumper yet as I've been to busy to tackle this job. Alfa has sat in the driveway for about a week since weather hasn't been the greatest with cold chills and lots of rain. Did take it out yesterday and plan to take it out tomorrow morning to local cars and coffee meet.
post #13958 of 14239 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:05 PM

Removed my muffler today. The seam at the rear inlet is rotting. 3 nuts and bolt sets to remove. One came out readily, one fought and one broke but out they came. Started the car to hear how loud it is and I was surprised at how relatively quiet it is.
Attached Images

post #13959 of 14239 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:02 PM

Garage
So yesterday morning there was a Cars And Coffee meet at the M1 Concourse race track, my 164 made the 87 mile/ 1 hour and 30 minute drive 1 way without a single problem! By far the farthest drive I've done in my 164. A lot of vehicals of all maked showed and the track was packed! I seen a few alfas there new and old and my 164 was the only 164 at the event!
Attached Images

Allan likes this.
post #13960 of 14239 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:56 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
yea, even here in Italy I see very few 164 when out and about. I know of one I see on my way to work every day and once in a while I see one on the road in the same area so assume it "lives" around there. Yours is a rare bird in NW Ohio!! ciao, chris

Maintaining my tenuous strain on reality.
89 164 2l Twin Spark, 2011 Tonka Dump

Recently added: an 89 75 (Milano) 1.6 litre w/44K on the klok.

Past loves:
79 Alfetta GTV w/Spica, my 1st Alfa

An 88 Graduate. Not really love but interesting nonetheless.

A 68 BMW 1602 - man do I regret letting that one go!

79 Scirroco, ex plowed into an illegally parked house with it...
post #13961 of 14239 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:35 AM

Garage
Chris there is only 1 other 164 I know of here and it sits in a lot behind a fence with other European cars. That 164 has been sitting at least since 2014 and haven't seen it move. I know of someone in Michigan about and hour away from me who owns a 164 but dont remember his name.
post #13962 of 14239 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:33 PM

Put my muffler back on today. I had filled the rear connection between the pipe and muffler body with some epoxy to hold thing together for the season and tack welded a bracket on top, between the rear of the body (rolled portion) and pipe to give it some extra support. Added a new hanger as well. No leaks at this joint but based on the amount of stuff that fell out of the tailpipe when I was I was holding it up, I don't think there is much left intact inside. The sound of the car without a muffler wasn't too obscene and more quiet than the average Harley but with the muffler, not too much of a reduction either. A new one may be in order. Also went for a short test drive and the front felt a bit wonky so back to the driveway to find the drivers wheel was loose!! A moment of carelessness that could have been a disaster. No damage to wheel, etc.
post #13963 of 14239 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:37 AM

Well, the muffler patch held up for a few hours but the rear groan is back and I can smell exhaust in the cabin. I purchased a used-new Stainless Magnaflow from someone an hours drive away (he put it on his dad's truck...dad said "no" and took it right off). It is a more flow-through design than the stock Ansa, but as there was little intact in the stock muffler, I expect the noise will not be too much more than what I had and that was perfectly fine. I have to revise 2 hangers on the new muffler, adapt a 3" in into a 2.5 and adapt 2 x 2.5 outs so the exhaust is after the bumper skin. Might as well remove the middle section and check all connection points as I do hear a slight buzz from somewhere in the middle. Will post more pix and a decibel reading before (no muffler) and after.
post #13964 of 14239 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:13 PM

Well, probably NO chance of having saved this regardless of what I did on the outside. The inner pipe was completely gone. The insulation felt so much like real hair, I thought I might find a skull in there.
Attached Images

Milanoguy likes this.
post #13965 of 14239 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:28 PM
Gold Subscriber

death of a thousand rats

164LS 1994

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode