What did you do Alfa related today? - Page 930 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 959Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13936 of 14247 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigim View Post
34 mm ish
Perfect same size as my golf, I have that one in my toolbox ready to go.

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13937 of 14247 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post

Anyway does anyone know the size of the axle nut off the top of their head?
36mm for front OEM axle nut. I had to grind the socket a bit to get this one to fit.
Attached Images

Andy M
Red '91 164S and Black '91 164S
post #13938 of 14247 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Takes a 36MM socket and a major cheater bar or a major torque air impact gun for front axle nut. Real he-man torque wrench for about 300 lb ft of torque to reinstall. It is best to try to loosen nut with wheel still on the ground.

Why do you need axle nuts off?

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13939 of 14247 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYM View Post
36mm for front OEM axle nut. I had to grind the socket a bit to get this one to fit.
Great so my Impact sockets are not going to fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
Takes a 36MM socket and a major cheater bar or a major torque air impact gun for front axle nut. Real he-man torque wrench for about 300 lb ft of torque to reinstall. It is best to try to loosen nut with wheel still on the ground.

Why do you need axle nuts off?
I have a 4 foot cheater bar I use for them on my Golf, because I change wheelbearings every 2-3 races.

I want to have them loose on the Alfa because I am replacing the control arms/balljoints and considering the rust down there I want to make sure I can easily remove the spindle if needed if I need to go ahead and cut the ball joint off, it will make it a lot easier.

May have to fire up the compressor too it seems.

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #13940 of 14247 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:46 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Great so my Impact sockets are not going to fit.

I have a 4 foot cheater bar I use for them on my Golf, because I change wheelbearings every 2-3 races.

I want to have them loose on the Alfa because I am replacing the control arms/balljoints and considering the rust down there I want to make sure I can easily remove the spindle if needed if I need to go ahead and cut the ball joint off, it will make it a lot easier.

May have to fire up the compressor too it seems.
I have used the 36mm socket and a 4ft cheater to loosen some while standing on it, doing very quick bursts on the cheater. Came undone fine. Also some relief cuts in the spindle nut can help.
Rogue Leader likes this.

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.
post #13941 of 14247 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I remove brake caliper, inner cv.joint bolt nuts, 3 lower ball joint bolts, 4 lower strut bolts, tie rod end. and remove axle, spindle and wheel hub asst as one unit. Disconnect ABS CABLE, too as sender frozen in spindle.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

post #13942 of 14247 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I remove brake caliper, inner cv.joint bolt nuts, 3 lower ball joint bolts, 4 lower strut bolts, tie rod end. and remove axle, spindle and wheel hub asst as one unit. Disconnect ABS CABLE, too as sender frozen in spindle.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
I've decided what I may do is just see if i can get lucky in removing the balljoint before doing anything, if I get lucky then no worries, if not then I'll go for the axle nut. I need the axle out of the spindle so I can attack the top of the balljoint either with a socket and impact, or just cut the **** thing off.

Now the good news is I drowned everything in PB blaster for 2 weeks straight.

post #13943 of 14247 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
I've decided what I may do is just see if i can get lucky in removing the balljoint before doing anything, if I get lucky then no worries, if not then I'll go for the axle nut. I need the axle out of the spindle so I can attack the top of the balljoint either with a socket and impact, or just cut the **** thing off.

Now the good news is I drowned everything in PB blaster for 2 weeks straight.
You can get the ball joint off the taper in the spindle without pulling the axle by removing cotter key and nut with open end wrench. the use big hammer and tie rod end removal fork. You can also drive a wedge between BJ nut and outer CV joint.

Air impact gun (pneumatic air hammer) with fork or flat mushroom head to drive rivets handy tool for working on Alfas.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

post #13944 of 14247 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
You can get the ball joint off the taper in the spindle without pulling the axle by removing cotter key and nut with open end wrench. the use big hammer and tie rod end removal fork. You can also drive a wedge between BJ nut and outer CV joint.

Air impact gun (pneumatic air hammer) with fork or flat mushroom head to drive rivets handy tool for working on Alfas.

I have a lot of air tools but not that one, I'll need to pick one up.

My main concern was that nut is super rusty and my luck will strip/come apart. I have large flare nut wrenches so I will likely try those just in case. If I can get that off without removing the axle then I don't need to do the axle nut so that will be the aim.

post #13945 of 14247 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:42 AM

I swear the universe is against me working on this car.

I get outside get setup, it had rained this morning but was supposed to be dry the rest of the day. I go to plug in my quick jack to drop the car to the ground as I wanted to measure the stock ride height (ground to wheelwell) and I plug it in and it pops the breaker. clean up the wiring etc, pops it again. I go to open the electrical box, screw strips instantly, drill it out, open the box, all clean inside, all connected, I think maybe moisture got in somewhere else, who knows. I brought the pump inside to dry out maybe that will do it. Then I say screw it I'll just match the coilovers to the stock parts as close as I can and drop from there, I take 2 caliper bolts off and the skies open up and it starts pouring. Tools wet, me wet.

I finally get a day that I'm free ALL DAY to work on the car, and I got totally screwed. I literally can't win.

post #13946 of 14247 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:08 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Advice from Chief Dan George . . .

Rogue Leader likes this.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #13947 of 14247 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:57 AM
Gold Subscriber

could have been worse, if you had gone out and bought a 34mm ish socket...ÖÖÖ...
Rogue Leader likes this.
post #13948 of 14247 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:48 PM

Well someone must have heard me complaining because as luck would have it the sun came out, dried things up, and I got a good couple hours out there. I basically disassembled most of both sides of the front end. Discovered some fun things:

- The swaybar on the passenger side of the car was not attached, at all. The endlink was on, but the actual bushing to the frame had the bracket stuck to it but no bolts. I found one bolt and it had almost no thread left on it. The holes are still there, its not rotted out, just a bit grimey. I may need to get in there with the tap to tap out the holes again, but thats sketchy.

- I think based on what I read here I may need a master cylinder. When I disconnected the drivers caliper not a drop of brake fluid came out. BONE DRY. Explains the sketchy brakes. I havent checked the rears but neither of them really work, so I'd anticipate this may be my problem.

- The ball joint nuts came right out. I mean yes they were super tight, but I put my 19mm flare nut wrench on them and was able to break both loose and remove the nuts.

Thats about where I wrapped up for the day, my 1 year old is waking up right about now....

post #13949 of 14247 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:22 PM

Some hope for new Alfas

At Calif Speedway/Fontana/Auto Club today for a track event. Our Chapter tags along with bigger groups in order to get onto big, expensive, tracks from time to time. I saw a '17 Giulia, was signed up and this is what I found. He is a track rat and usually drives a RX7 on the track but brought out his Giulia when he saw our Club would be there. He is well under 55 and is about at the end of his 2 yr lease. He leased the Alfa because of things he read about performance, etc. He has not been disappointed with the Giulia but is not sure what car he will replace it with. "Oh, and my girlfriend will be here soon and she has a Giulia also." She has the same story with her '17 Giulia. Both are delightful people.
So there is some hope for us.
Here is a pic of the 2 Giulias. And guess what, we were photobombed by this other car. I think it is British. 3 others were there to support the one in this photo. GAWD over $800k of McLarens.

Once I asked something like "Gee, how many Alfettas could I buy with $800k?" Answer: "All of them!!!"

But on a negative note, driving home in my Alfetta GT I came up on a red Giulia on the freeway. I pulled along side, no notice. I changed lanes all around him, no notice. We still have some work to do on the Brand.

Oh, how fast is a 4C on this Speedway? It hits about 130 at the end of the front stretch going into turn 1. Slowing down to maybe 100-105 at the exit of 2. Cal Speedway is seriously banked. We do not use the whole oval but enter the front straight at the end of turn 4 and exit back into the infield mid way on the backstretch before turn 3.
Attached Images

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
post #13950 of 14247 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
"But on a negative note, driving home in my Alfetta GT I came up on a red Giulia on the freeway. I pulled along side, no notice. I changed lanes all around him, no notice. We still have some work to do on the Brand."

In reply/response to (IRRT) Paul's statement, I took my S to Cars and Coffee event yesterday. Had a couple guys go absolutely gaga over it. But I failed to see a dark gray Giulia in another row when I drove in late.

I was taking to a guy with a 55 Chevy I had meet last month when the Giulia drove right by us leaving as the gang was breaking up for the 10 am curfew. Pretty sure I saw that same Giulia driving on the street last month in town.

My S was in the next row over so don't fault them for not seeing my S.
Attached Images

sidewaysalfa likes this.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 05-05-2019 at 05:46 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode