What did you do Alfa related today? - Page 929 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 935Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13921 of 14190 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:35 PM

Garage
Polished the Veloce up.
Attached Images

IRONBLOCK likes this.

Cars ruined my life! 😱
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13922 of 14190 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Love Bugs welcome to FL and more...

Went to Neville's Under the Mighty Oaks event and killed bunch of love bugs both going and returning. Removed their remains this morning.

We had a great time with five (5) 164's, Milano Verde. Stelvio Q4. Merc SUV, two Audis and a VW w/retractable top in attendance.

The fellowship was great, TOO!

Cell phone pix always download sideways.

I went to Don Garlits' museums on the way up and say among many things this Fiat Topilina B/class race car.
Attached Images

oz3litre likes this.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 04-29-2019 at 09:33 AM.
post #13923 of 14190 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:04 AM

Thought I would start with the brake bleeding today (replaced brake master cylinder). Lots of fiddling around getting the right, tight fit of the lines, then my vacuum bleeder malfunctioned. Got it working enough to start the process but it seems to be taking forever. Checked for vacuum leaks with the lines and fitting and seem o.k. so either I have more air in there than I thought or air is leaking in at the bleed nipple. Will take off the airbox and look at the master to make sure there are no leaks around there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13924 of 14190 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:09 PM

Garage
Blue Ridge Parkway Drive

Went on the Blue Ridge Parkway today for the first time ever. Have lived in NC for 35 years, and crossed the parkway many times to go skiing. But didn't have the time to get on the parkway, and it is often closed in the winter (no Mr. Plow for the parkway). I was going to do a 2 day trip, and the weather was perfect today, but was predicted to be 15 degrees warmer tomorrow, so I changed it to be a 1 day loop. No AC in the Alfetta, and while it is rarely warm in the mountains, it is 2 hours there, and 2 hours back, and I didn't want to do that in the heat.

Got on the parkway near the NC/VA border, and went as far south as Grandfather Mountain. Especially if you drive an old, no electronics car, a drive on the parkway is like taking the Wayback Machine back to around 1950. Very enjoyable.

So when I get the 164 back in one piece in a couple of weeks, I will take it on the southern part of the parkway that I missed. The 164 has AC, so I can be less temperature sensitive as to when I go.
Attached Images

craig748 likes this.

Tom Henneka
75 Alfetta GT (Original owner), 92 164S, 86 GTV6
post #13925 of 14190 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:28 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Yup, beautiful drive along there. We took our 75 Alfetta sedan on it from Front Royal down to the middle of North Carolina. Got fogged out further south. Drove back up through the middle of Virginia through "Roots" land. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a very nice drive, even if the speed limit is too slow for sports cars, lol. We went there when the trees were all in color. We used to go into that area to camp for a couple of days, in the spring with the light green leaves coming out, and then again in the fall with the very same tree in full color. Made a neat side by side picture display.

When we lived in DC in 79, got a real good deal on a brand new 78 Alfetta GT, as it didn't' have A/C, and they couldn't sell it at all, part of the problem being that the car would fog up badly if it rained in the hot weather, besides being hot and sweaty. We drove it out to Seattle in an enjoyable drive down through Texas, visiting relatives on the way. The car without A/C was fine in Seattle of course.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 04-29-2019 at 07:41 PM.
post #13926 of 14190 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhenneka View Post
Went on the Blue Ridge Parkway today for the first time ever. Have lived in NC for 35 years, and crossed the parkway many times to go skiing.
My daughter got married up near Chimney Rock, NC. on Sunday, April 27th at 'The Cabin Ridge' and we celebrated my parents 62nd wedding anniversary the same day (4/27/1957). There was beautiful scenery, especially on the way back, as we avoided I-85 South through Athens and Gainesville, GA.

No Alfa as I drove my parents up and back in their '17 Toyota Sienna XLE. Nice air-conditioning but the seats are not up to Alfa standards! Sore bum and sore back...still!

Name:  Lee Paul 62nd Jessie and Joe wed.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  339.2 KB

Name:  The Cabin Ridge.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  82.9 KB

Mark
post #13927 of 14190 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:04 AM

Got accused of being a Delorean again. Happens all the time when I drive this car. But it just came out of storage and I needed to drive it.
Attached Images

post #13928 of 14190 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexCars View Post
Got accused of being a Delorean again. Happens all the time when I drive this car. But it just came out of storage and I needed to drive it.
Well then, back to the future!

Cars ruined my life! 😱
post #13929 of 14190 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:52 PM

Rainy days continue so no outdoor Alfa work until the weekend but I did bleed the front brakes a few days back and most of the pressure is back. Will re bleed the front and bleed the rear over the weekend. So, today I touched up some paint chips before putting the grill back on and also un-taped the injector clip wiring as the tape, plastic is hard and brittle, some connectors are cracked and I have new ones to install. The new ones don't look as hardy but plastic is not brittle with age either. I think 5 of the 6 stock ones (one has been changed already) have cracks. The ones on C5 have cracks in the wiring so a careful look at all of the wires and addition of new shrink wrap are in order.

On another note, drove from my home north of Toronto into the city for a meeting and caught of 2 Maserati coupes and 2 Maserati SUV models plus one Blue Giulia. I didn't notice the Giulia until I was pulled level 2 lanes over or I would have followed it awhile seeing that I had a few routes to choose from (and just following another car seems creepy...especially if the driver sees you salivating..).

Have an Alfa day.
Attached Images

post #13930 of 14190 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:15 AM

Well, more rain today so minimal work on the Alfa between other duties. New injector clips have been wired in (soldered, heat-shrink tubing, tape and tape again). Look better but I left a few of the leads a bit longer than needed so some more taping to keep things neat. 4 of the 6 older clips had cracks.
May explore clearing the air bag light with the procedure found earlier. Mine is a 95 so hopefully, the jumper-3 second method will work. If time permits, re-bleed the front brakes and pull off the right wheel well covers to diagnose a squeaky bearing (the bearing holder for the S belt is the culprit as the squeak disappears if I apply a very slight pressure to the body...) and bleed the rear brakes of course.
post #13931 of 14190 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
The 3-second rule for Air Bag reset will not work on 24v models. It is for 91-93 USA 164 air bags.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #13932 of 14190 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
The 3-second rule for Air Bag reset will not work on 24v models. It is for 91-93 USA 164 air bags.
Yep. Caught that again after I wrote my to-do list and switched to bleeding my rear brakes plus fixing one mouse-sized hole in front of the pass wheel well (usual trouble spot). My jacking points look a bit rough, especially the left one, trailing arm mounting points have rust and a crack so another item for my list AND......hole in my muffler at the tail pipe weld. My wife's patience is getting thin and she wants me to drop the Alfa and look into a Miata.
post #13933 of 14190 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:20 AM

After years of despising all my Alfas, and especially the GTV-6 and all my 164s, my wife positively loves my Giulia TI Q4 Sport.

Photo is from the day I bought it. I drive it to work most days, as I did today.

I like to put it in manual mode and definitely with the start-stop off. Start-stop is probably the most annoying thing about that car.
Attached Images

post #13934 of 14190 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:29 AM

Well nothing today but tomorrow I FINALLY am going to be able to work on it for a bit. Life has been nuts since the day I got the car, then I finally get it up in the air only to be tied up with weather and family crap and whatnot. Tomorrow I'll be out there, of course I need to bring the baby monitor as my daughter will be sleeping in the house while I do it, but once she wakes I can drop her at Grandmas and finish up.

Anyway does anyone know the size of the axle nut off the top of their head?

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #13935 of 14190 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:32 PM
Gold Subscriber

34 mm ish
Rogue Leader likes this.

164LS 1994

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode