What did you do Alfa related today? - Page 928 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 934Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13906 of 14188 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I started prepping myself and BB2 for a roadtrip on Saturday for a RON (remain over night) at Neville's for his annual Alfas under the Mighty Live Oaks in JAX FL. His event is from 2-5pm but he and I will play with cars longer than that I am sure.

I will drove back to Lakeland on Sunday.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13907 of 14188 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:44 PM

Garage
Here in LA, we have Tahoe's, Yukon's, Escalade's, F150's, 250's, 350's and 450's along with Silverado's, Sierra's and Dodge Ram trucks just pushing their way in and out of traffic. Watching their smart phone screens vs paying attention to the road. Motorcycles splitting lanes and blipping the throttle to let others know they're straddling the line. So, I only drive my little Alfa Spider on the weekend, when things aren't as crazy, yet I often wonder when one of those big SUV's or pick ups will run into me. I have to drive defensively or I'll get squashed! That is, until I get into the open road and let that twin cam sing!

I can't imagine driving a small roadster as a daily driver here in LA. The traffic is horrendous and the drivers simply don't pay attention. In fact, just yesterday, we were turning left off the red light at the end of a long exit ramp/street. Two left turn lanes, where the right one must turn into the far right lane and the left can turn into one of the left turn lanes or the lane going straight ahead. We were in our RX350 (not a small car and sits up pretty high) and the guy to our right made his left turn into our lane. We swerved to avoid him and then fell back behind him, not fun, but no big deal. If we wouldn't have done so, it would've been our right fender - we lost an RX 350 a few years ago to a similar accident (was totalled due to the cost of the repair - mainly the headlight which moves with the steering wheel $2700 for the part alone). So maybe a total loss again or maybe a repair - something I don't want, because the value of the car drops when repaired, especially when it's a front end hit. So, lucky for us, there was nobody to our left and we were able to avoid an accident.

Then I think about what would've happened if I was in my Spider. Probably easier to avoid him, since it handles better than the Lexus - but there's a chance I could've looked away and was hit by that Grand Caravan. I'm pretty sure his car would win the battle! And my insurance would probably declare my Spider a total loss and I'd have to search to find another, which I don't want to do. Or worse, what if I was in my '74 or '71 Spider. I don't want to worry about replacing either of them.
post #13908 of 14188 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:49 PM

Garage
For those old enough to remember the group Rush, here's something interesting to think about. We're not there today, but there's a similarity and the future of autonomous cars and EV's is coming nearer and nearer, while the days of twin cam 4 cylinder, 5 speed mechanical wonders is dying out.

The Red Barchetta = Alfa Spider or something fun and exciting from a distant time.

Gleaming Alloy Air Car (two lanes wide) = Ford Explorer CHP cruiser.

Here's the words. Enjoy!

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about
He says it used to be a farm
Before the Motor Law
And on Sundays I elude the eyes
And hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire
Where my white-haired uncle waits
Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline
Run like the wind
As excitement shivers up and down my spine
Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me an old machine
For fifty odd years
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream
I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better vanished time
I fire up the willing engine
Responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime
Wind
In my hair
Shifting and drifting
Mechanical music
Adrenaline surge...
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware
Suddenly ahead of me
Across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air car
Shoots towards me, two lanes wide
I spin around with shrieking tires
To run the deadly race
Go screaming through the valley
As another joins the chase
Drive like the wind
Straining the limits of machine and man
Laughing out loud with fear and hope
I've got a desperate plan
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded at the riverside
Race back to the farm
To dream with my uncle at the fireside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13909 of 14188 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:03 PM
Gold Subscriber

New Jersey drivers are just as bad if not worse than their West Coast counterparts. Three weeks ago my LS was t-boned by a woman in a Subaru who "didn't see me". Here's the result.
Attached Images

johnalfa

2018 Giulia TI
1988 Milano Gold Automatic (new arrival)

Previously Owned: 76 Alfetta GT, 81 Spider, 88 Milano, 89 Spider, 94 164LS (totaled 3/20/19)
post #13910 of 14188 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:50 PM

Well it was a few days ago but finally got my uncles 1971 GTV up on BaT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-romeo-gtv-14/

Once that sells we hopefully have a buyer for the house and thats the end of it, my cousin can finally move on. I'm just happy I can help her in some small way.

Next shes taking the proceeds from the cars to buy herself a Stelvio.

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #13911 of 14188 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnalfa View Post
New Jersey drivers are just as bad if not worse than their West Coast counterparts. Three weeks ago my LS was t-boned by a woman in a Subaru who "didn't see me". Here's the result.
John hope that can be "buffed" out with a good door and some matching paint.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 04-24-2019 at 04:37 PM.
post #13912 of 14188 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:00 PM

John: I am about to send a gold LS parts car to the crusher. Do you want the drivers side doors? No charge but pickup is outside Albany NY.
post #13913 of 14188 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnalfa View Post

Hi I was the west coaster that had my door smashed into. I feel for you. I found the use part from Alfa Exchange and a good body shop. The good news is the car looks great and I had insurance money left over for the repair.
Before

After!
Good luck it looks like you already have a good lead on a door.

Ken
Please excuse all spelling and grammar! I am typing on phone :-)

Ken Smith
post #13914 of 14188 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:39 PM

getting my '81 gtv6 back on the road...

During a compression test a few days back (compression checked out okay) I found that the main air accordion hose was cracked, a likely culprit in causing erratic idle and power loss. It now holds idle after I duct-taped the hose, so I'll be getting a new hose soon. With that, gonna keep checking for fluid leaks. Had oil leaking, seeing if front main seal replacement resolved that or if further work needed. Had water leaking into the Valley which seems to have been due to rusted fittings on the head port fittings (I don't know what the real name is, sorry) that lead to the short hoses to the thermostat so I filed and sanded them, then coated them with POR-15; we'll see how that goes. If those leaks are fixed just need to remount cooling fans, track down clutch fluid leak, and swap left rear caliper, then back on the road!
post #13915 of 14188 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:53 AM
Gold Subscriber

Unfortunately it's more than the doors. The B pillar is pretty badly bent and the lower frame rail has been pushed in so I can no longer put my hand between the inner rocker and the driver's seat.

johnalfa

2018 Giulia TI

Previously Owned: 76 Alfetta GT, 81 Spider, 88 Milano, 89 Spider, 94 164LS (totaled 3/20/19)
post #13916 of 14188 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:33 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Hate to say it, but given the book values of LS's, that sounds like the insurance company is going to total it.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #13917 of 14188 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:43 AM

I'm sorry for your loss.
post #13918 of 14188 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:15 PM
Gold Subscriber

Thank you. Lucky for me two years ago I took the car off my regular State Farm policy and put it on an agreed value policy. So it's a little less painful, but I hate to lose something I've had for 9 years.

johnalfa

2018 Giulia TI

post #13919 of 14188 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:30 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Ah, looks like my LS, except without your damage. I also have mine insured with an assessed value company.

Sorry to see the damage. A skilled shop could replace the B pillar, using one cut/unzipped from a parts car. Even if the insurance company totals it, we've done just that, buying back the car and having the damage taken out. We've done this twice, and we never regretted it.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #13920 of 14188 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Today I bought a new R134a A/C gauge/service set and added a can to BB2 and also one to 04 Jeep GC. I left my old semi-worn out set in the trunk of BB1 in VB. I recharge it before we left in mid-March.

I hope John in Charlotte buys it but if not ML will let me bring it to FL in July.

I will be pushing off to Neville's in JAX in the morning. Hope to have a mini reunion with some of my old FFCAROC (now NE FL Alfa Club) Alfisti-mates. Left them and JAX behind in 2000.

Have seen some of them at Neville's other Mighty Oak events as well as at Amelia Island Concours events over the last 18 plus or so years. I am hoping to get Chris the PO of BB1 to drive up in his 500x from Ormond Beach. He brought BB1 to Neville's in 2009 and ML SAW IT THERE AND let me buy it later that year.

I may pledge my Alfa chapter allegiance back to that JAX AROC chapter as it is closer than MAARC in VA/NC. There are another couple mid-FL chapters - one on Orlando and one in Clearwater that are closer than JAX but I only know a couple folks in them. I think there are 5 chapters in FL now.

Hangin in there with semi-crossed fingers that the sale of my/our VB Alfa house closes on Monday. Was supposed to happen today but my buyer's of my house his buyers of his house happening today instead. Long winded but sometimes that is the way things go. Mortgage companies move money in strange ways at their own pace.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode